As I was driving out to get some early dinner (whilst packing for the big move to the country tomorrow [no internet for a while]), I heard that "instant-classic" band Foster The People. Now, I can see they have some talent and their songs ain't all bad but I probably won't go out to buy their album, see them at a concert or suggest others listen to them.
In saying this as a brief example, there are many new bands that get the attention of the general populis but then don't seem all too appealing to me. Another that springs to mind is Mumford and Sons (described in a 2010 year review as "The New Proclaimers.") I missed the boat on them 18 months back but many people I speak to love them and think they are amazing.
Needed to rant but thought others might have examples of new 2000 to now bands that they just don't get the appeal.
OOOOOHHHHHHHH we have ALOT of ARTISTS here in the US that fall into that category! sorry but anything that gets radio play and is either pop/hip hop/rap can be thrown into this category!!!
and if you wanna talk about bands i have a couple
OOOOOHHHHHHHH we have ALOT of ARTISTS here in the US that fall into that category! sorry but anything that gets radio play and is either pop/hip hop/rap can be thrown into this category!!!
and if you wanna talk about bands i have a couple
RAGE Against
CAGE The Elephant
Do you mean RAGE Against the Machine or RISE Against?
I would have to agree that Mumford and Sons and Foster the People are the two most baffling pieces of shit I have come across in recent memory. The former has zero appeal to me (and I've heard the whole album, to my chagrin) and the latter, though I've only heard their single, seems like an obvious, fragile shell of '90s indie rock to me. However, both have managed to get the attention of several of my friends, some of who listen largely to metal, others to hip-hop, others to dancehall shit, etc... wtf is going on.
And I've suggested similar stuff to them (following are actual conversations) e.g. "you like Mumford and Sons? you should check out the Pogues and Violent Femmes, I think you would like them a lot." "oh, I know that 'Blister in the Sun' song [most of them think the melody of 'Gone Daddy Gone' is originally Gnarls Barkley stuff], but thanks." e.g. "You like 'All the Other Kids,' here, check out 'Gold Sounds'" "meh, it's alright, not as catchy though" WTF IS GOING ON
I would have to agree that Mumford and Sons and Foster the People are the two most baffling pieces of shit I have come across in recent memory. The former has zero appeal to me (and I've heard the whole album, to my chagrin) and the latter, though I've only heard their single, seems like an obvious, fragile shell of '90s indie rock to me. However, both have managed to get the attention of several of my friends, some of who listen largely to metal, others to hip-hop, others to dancehall shit, etc... wtf is going on.
And I've suggested similar stuff to them (following are actual conversations) e.g. "you like Mumford and Sons? you should check out the Pogues and Violent Femmes, I think you would like them a lot." "oh, I know that 'Blister in the Sun' song [most of them think the melody of 'Gone Daddy Gone' is originally Gnarls Barkley stuff], but thanks." e.g. "You like 'All the Other Kids,' here, check out 'Gold Sounds'" "meh, it's alright, not as catchy though" WTF IS GOING ON
Maybe they are considered "Safe" artists by the many? If the others artists were considered "Safe" maybe the many would throw words like "catchy" around them?
I don't really get the appeal of Cut Copy, LCD Soundsystem, The Strokes, Coldplay, The Killers, Wilco, Muse, Interpol. To name a few. Yikes. That about sums up the top 50 for the 2000s on this site ๐คฃ
I don't really get the appeal of Cut Copy, LCD Soundsystem, The Strokes, Coldplay, The Killers, Wilco, Muse, Interpol. To name a few. Yikes. That about sums up the top 50 for the 2000s on this site :lol:
Don't lump Wilco in with the rest of those bands please
Wilco >>>>>>> LCD, Cut Copy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Strokes, The Killers , Muse, Interpol
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum