This has been a frequent topic throughout the interwebs recently, notably on Reddit and NME.
What would you say is the best sequence of three songs in a row on an album?
The one that instantly comes to mind for me is the three opening tracks of "The Joshua Tree." I'd have to go with "Last Nite," "Hard To Explain," and "New York City Cops," though. Each of those are perfect. _________________ My top songs of the 2010s
and
Spotify link
"Why Bother", "Across the Sea", and "The Good Life" on Pinkerton.
I was just considering making a thread like this, haha. It's interesting that it is almost always a 3-song sequence. I personally can't think of any album with a string of 4 tracks or more that I'd be willing to listen to on repeat, but I can think of plenty of albums with such strings of 3 tracks.
Thriller, Billie Jean, and Beat It was the first that came to mind from Thriller. Easily all highlights and incredible songs in their own right.
I Would Die 4 U, Baby I'm A Star, and Purple Rain from Purple Rain are a great closing trilogy to a great album. The first two are incredible dance/r&b and the final is an incredible showcase of Prince's guitar chops. Purple Rain is also one of the best ballads ever.
Common People, I Spy, and Disco 2000: 3 of Pulp's best songs, including the best song of the 90's.
Jesus Walks,Never Let Me Down,Get Em High - The College Dropout
Bustin' At Em,Hard In Da Paint,TTG - Flockaveli
Living In The World Today,Gold,Cold World - Liquid Swords
Miami,Total Life Forever,Black Gold - Total Life Forever
Our Bovine Public,Girls Like Mystery,Mens Needs - Mens Needs, Womens Needs, Whatever
When The Sun Goes Down,From The Ritz To The Rubble,A Certain Romance - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
N.Y. State of Mind,Life's a Bitch,The World Is Yours - Illmatic
I Wanna Be Adored,She Bangs The Drums,Waterfall - The Stone Roses
I always like thinking about the best (insert number) song stretches on any album. For me 3 is pretty easy:
Airbag, Paranoid Android, Subterranean Homesick Alien- OK Computer
Other damn good ones:
The Only One, Shake It Out, I've Got Friends- Mean Everything To Nothing (Manchester Orchestra)
Heartbreaker, Living Loving Maid, Ramble On- Led Zeppelin II
Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness, Tonight, Tonight, Jellybelly- Mellon Collie
Know Your Onion!, Girl Inform Me, New Slang- Oh, Inverted World
Purple Haze, Manic Depression, Hey Joe- Are You Experienced
The View From The Afternoon, I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor, Fake Tales Of San Francisco- Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Wow The Arctic Monkeys one is a shit ton of words.
King Eternal, Ambulance, Poppy -on TVOTR's Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes
Hallelujwah, Aumgn, Peking O- Can- Tago Mago
The all Seeing Eye, Genesis, Chaos- Wayne Shorter- The All Seeing Eye
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum