Ratings basis for comparison

Goto page 123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Has anyone defined the rating system on this site?
Ie, how much does one have to appreciate an album/song to give 70/100 as opposed to 95/100?
Or is it just a case of spending more time on the site and gauging the universal basis for comparison?
  • Quote
Wiztipskimor wrote:
Has anyone defined the rating system on this site?
Ie, how much does one have to appreciate an album/song to give 70/100 as opposed to 95/100?
Or is it just a case of spending more time on the site and gauging the universal basis for comparison?


I often give the album a rating based on expectations. For example, there are some hip-hop albums that I enjoy more than, say, some indie albums, but that I have given lower ratings - because hip-hop is what I enjoy listening to most and I rate hip-hop album against other hip-hop albums. I could rate a hip-hop album 75/100 because that's how I think it stands up against other hip-hop releases, but still enjoy it more than an indie or electronic album that I rate 90/100. It's not even really a genre thing. I have two rating systems: one for hip-hop, one fore everything else. It's probably a bit stupid, if it even makes sense.
  • Quote
I used to rate things in such a way where if I didn't enjoy the album, or if it got old or whatever, I'd rate it below 50. If I enjoyed the album and returned it it, it got above 50. If I couldn't finish listening to the album, I either wouldn't rate it or I'd give it a 10 or lower. My average rating was around 50, but if I were to hypothetically listen to every album in the world, the average rating would probably turn out lower than 5/100, cause that's life.

I've deleted all my ratings now since I think it screws with my head a bit. I prefer to keep things vague and unsettled.
  • Quote
Rating system is not defined and you need to build your own. I think that every member of BEA have own system and probably they are not comparable.
  • Quote
I usuallyate my albums based on two things: how much I enjoyed them, and how successful the album is at what it tries to do. If I get the feel X wants to make a pop album and Y an avant garde one, I'll judge X more on the melodies and harmonies and Y more on the originality of the ideas. But basically, if it's 70 or more, I liked it. If it's 95 or 100, that's in my hall of fame.

Also, you could try to check the average ratings for each user to see more or less how people measure their rankings
  • Quote
The rating system definitely differs for everyone. Mine all stems from my top 100. I think I have 4 or 5 that are 100 out of 100, maybe about 10 that are 95...and the lowest rating in my top 100 is maybe a 75 or 80? So basically that led me to a 75 still equaling a very good and enjoyable album. 65-70 is above average. 55-60 average to slightly below. Anything below 50 sucks goat balls.

But again I'm sure this differs substantially from the way a lot of other members rate.
  • Quote
I rate the album by how much I enjoy it.
  • Quote
thejoj96 wrote:
I rate the album by how much I enjoy it.


Really? That's dumb.
  • Quote
pearljammer13 wrote:
Really? That's dumb.

I know but I don't want to bring objectiveness into my rating.
  • Quote
thejoj96 wrote:
I know but I don't want to bring objectiveness into my rating.


Ratings are objective everyone knows that.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 123  Next
Page 1 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
ratings scrolling options martintho Suggestions
BestEver Track Ratings elo269megv Suggestions
Big problem with song ratings Guest Suggestions
[ Poll ] Sort by "Your ratings" habibi333 Suggestions
Issue logging ratings ForegroundNoise Suggestions

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.