Music Review Sites

Goto page 123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Which sites do you trust most that feature critical responses to albums?

I've always thought AllMusic gets it right a lot of the time, but often tend to dismiss any emotional impact behind an album - instead looking at mostly just the actual song writing. That said I think they rate way to many albums 4 stars.

Pitchfork annoy me - they give most albums very average ratings and then everything else either extremely high or extremely low, often favoring the sort of albums hipsters snort about all the time. They can be a little to full of themselves sometimes.

I've yet to find a review site that's in sync with my views on the values of music.
  • Quote
Puncture Repair wrote:
Which sites do you trust most that feature critical responses to albums?

I've always thought AllMusic gets it right a lot of the time, but often tend to dismiss any emotional impact behind an album - instead looking at mostly just the actual song writing. That said I think they rate way to many albums 4 stars.

Pitchfork annoy me - they give most albums very average ratings and then everything else either extremely high or extremely low, often favoring the sort of albums hipsters snort about all the time. They can be a little to full of themselves sometimes.

I've yet to find a review site that's in sync with my views on the values of music.


He's not limited to one site (he works primarily for LA Weekly and sometimes Pitchfork, plus his blog and a bunch of other freelance stuff), but I find I agree with almost everything journalist Jeff Weiss writes.
  • Quote
I like FACT Magazine the bestest.
  • Quote
I like Anthony Fantano reviews the best. In depth, thoughtful, interesting and, most important of all, I disagree with him enough I still feel like I'm forming my own musical opinion.
_________________
Alt Right meme game on point

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Quote
420BongRitsu69 wrote:
I like Anthony Fantano reviews the best. In depth, thoughtful, interesting and, most important of all, I disagree with him enough I still feel like I'm forming my own musical opinion.


Yeah, I also like him as long as he isn't talking about his vinyl collection
  • Quote
I like Drowned In Sound but that's not to say they're always spot-on.
  • Quote
I usually stick with AllMusic
  • Quote
P4k's recs (and end of year lists) are often good, but I don't like reading their reviews. Fantano aka The Needle Drop is better in terms of reviews, and I actually enjoy watching his videos, even if I disagree with his grades (which is more often than in P4k's case). Or if I sometimes don't really "get" Cal Chuchesta. But he knows his shit, doesn't take himself too seriously and isn't too pretentious.

I don't really follow any other publications. I use metacritic for grades (occasionally), but I don't really read reviews.
  • Quote
Agree with Needledrop mentions. DeadEndHipHop is good too.
  • Quote
I don't find critics to have good ears. Just good mouths.


I do wish to find a critic I like, though.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 123  Next
Page 1 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Music Diaries SuedeSwede Music Diaries
Sites/magazines you use to find the l... DarkSideOfTheComputer Music
Which other sites do you use to get y... DarkSideOfTheComputer Music
Music Review / Discussion Podcast - M... Keithfloman Music
Streaming sites (general discussion) latenighttv Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.