Limiting User Abilities

Goto page 123456  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Some users don't necessarily warrant "banning" perhaps, but they certainly abuse certain facets of this website, such as the creating new threads privilege. Particularly in the suggestions forum.

So perhaps a system should be put in place to limit certain users' functionalities to prevent such... things... or perhaps just a general "post cap" for such users, only allowing them to post such and such times a day.
_________________
A dick that's bigger than the sun.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Quote
Funnily I was always against this... until the last couple of months. Seriously all this spamming up the forums, especially here in the suggestions thread where to the best of my knowledge all the threads are all read by Albummaster, has gotten just absolutely ridiculous and totally beyond the control of other users casually asking "cool it down, please". I think the most reasonable measure would be to keep a new-topics-limit for new users to avoid spam, and the longer they are on the site it will gradually increase. That may be considered a form of censorship but something has to be done about this endless forum spamming, cause I don't think it's a wild coincidience that prominent long-time users are leaving in droves. Something that encourages users to think more about quality over quantity when it comes to posting would be a very positive thing, even though a post limit may feel a bit stifling.
  • Quote
I made this exact suggestion a few days ago but it was deleted. But yes, I'm obviously in favor of this proposition.
_________________
  • Quote
Edit: I've changed my mind. No user should be singled out.

Last edited by Cymro2011 on 04/26/2013 16:51; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
Putting certain limitations on certain users is a very slippery slope that I do not support. Anything that singles out specific users has an opportunity to be manipulated. I think any limitations that are implemented should be an across the board type thing. For instance, if there is a post limit it could be based on the level achieved.

Regarding the "JMan" issue, I think there are a lot of times people think it is funny to provoke him and there are a fair amount of his posts and threads that spiral out of control because of others just as much as him. This thread is a perfect example. Why does it even need to exist?

JMan has just as much right to be here and participate as everyone else does. As long as none of the site rules are broken and currently the number of posts per day is not a site rule.

And here's a wild and crazy idea: we don't all have to read every post and every topic in the forums. If someone creates a thread that you have no interest in: skip it. I promise it'll be okay. You never know, someone else might actually want to discuss that topic. There have actually been topics that I wanted to discuss before that I didn't bother because the complaint mob got there first.
  • Quote
gtroda wrote:
And here's a wild and crazy idea: we don't all have to read every post and every topic in the forums.

We don't take kindly to logic round these here parts.
  • Quote
Cymro2011 wrote:
I think this would be for best. But to be fair JMan has improved quite a lot these last few weeks.

He is trying but this isn't about him. This is to protect from someone much worse than JMan, if you could imagine that. JMan averages 25 posts per day but I've seen worse in other forums.
-Perhaps a staggered increase in number of posts as you gain experience.
-perhaps certain threads like what are you listening to dont count?

Those might be bad suggestions but I think limiting the number of posts might be something worth considering. At any rate, all my favorite forums have basic rules that prevent the chaos we've seen lately. It's time to consider and vote for our own.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/ptaylor1989
  • Quote
Poll removed.
_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
  • Quote
gtroda wrote:
Putting certain limitations on certain users is a very slippery slope that I do not support. Anything that singles out specific users has an opportunity to be manipulated. I think any limitations that are implemented should be an across the board type thing. For instance, if there is a post limit it could be based on the level achieved.

Regarding the "JMan" issue, I think there are a lot of times people think it is funny to provoke him and there are a fair amount of his posts and threads that spiral out of control because of others just as much as him. This thread is a perfect example. Why does it even need to exist?

JMan has just as much right to be here and participate as everyone else does. As long as none of the site rules are broken and currently the number of posts per day is not a site rule.

And here's a wild and crazy idea: we don't all have to read every post and every topic in the forums. If someone creates a thread that you have no interest in: skip it. I promise it'll be okay. You never know, someone else might actually want to discuss that topic. There have actually been topics that I wanted to discuss before that I didn't bother because the complaint mob got there first.


+999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

Words of wisdom.
  • Quote
Jasonconfused wrote:
I made this exact suggestion a few days ago but it was deleted.


yeah, not the same thing.

did you enjoy your time away?

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 123456  Next
Page 1 of 6


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: User Listening Log Masterlist mickilennial Music Diaries
Limiting & Sorting andy_hunter Suggestions
User Pick of the Day (#22): Arkology ... Guest Music
User Pick of the Day (#68): You Can't... sp4cetiger Music
User Pick 113: The Pains of Being Pur... Guest Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.