Just wondering if there are any plans for improvements to the search function on the site. Since joining this site, it's the only thing that has really plagued me. There are many reasons I am not keen on it:
- Often does not bring up the correct results, i.e. search 'the wild hunt' under albums. The wild hunt by TMOE doesn't appear. I have found this to happen to numerous other albums/bands as well.
- Even when entering exact band/album/song you may have to navigate a few pages to find your result
- Trying to use the search box beside the 'Forums' link automatically takes you down to the other search box when you are on the 'Search : Best Ever Albums' page, this can get quite annoying.
However, do love the new additions to the site. Keep up the good work!
I'm genuinely confused. I searched "The Wild Hunt" and The Wild Hunt by The Tallest Man on Earth was literally the only thing that came up.
EDIT: Yeah, and I'm not experiencing either of the other problems you mentioned. What exactly are you referring to?
I'm not talking about the drop down box when searching for things, they seem to be perfectly fine. I'm talking about when you actually search for something (Type in search box and press enter)
1. enter 'the wild hunt' in the search box
2. Press enter
3. Select the 'album' checkbox
4. 4 albums appear none of which are the wild hunt.
2nd problem
1.enter anything in the search box
2.press enter
3. select the search button in the top right and try and search something again
4. when you stop it will automatically place your cursor into the search box in the centre of the page[/img]
To be honest, the site banner search was only meant to be used to pick from the incremental suggestions and not for free text searching which is why the magnifying glass in the site header isn't clickable. The fact that the enter button submits a search is a legacy issue & is a bug. (You should use the search page itself for free text searching.)
However, search is something I'm going to be working on over the next week or two as it's causing issues elsewhere on the site. I take on board from your initial post that this aspect could certainly be improved & I'll try and do this alongside the above.
Also,
ross93 wrote:
I'm not talking about the drop down box when searching for things, they seem to be perfectly fine. I'm talking about when you actually search for something (Type in search box and press enter)
1. enter 'the wild hunt' in the search box
2. Press enter
3. Select the 'album' checkbox
4. Click the search button on the search page
This is unintended, but once you land on the search page having used the search from the site navigation, the default view is to only show search results for bands/artists matching your query. So, the missing step from your sequence of actions is to click the 'search' button on the search results page to change the view from bands to albums (just clicking the 'album' checkbox will not do anything by itself).
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum