I love a good singer-songwriter album.
My criteria is it would be an album that was written and performed primarily by one dude or dudette. Obviously they all dont have to be acoustic albums. It can be a whole band backing the person up. The genre is sorta fake, there's no clear cut definition of what could count here.
I'd say some of my faves are Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Rain Dogs by Tom Waits, Heartbreaker by Ryan Adams, High, Low and In Between by Townes Van Zandt, Either/Or by Elliot Smith, and Imagine by John Lennon.
I guess one of the things I think of when I think of a good singer-songwriter album is the songs tend to be personal and communicate the unique ideas and experiences of that songwriter.
There are albums like "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" and "Summerteeth" by Wilco where the album is done by a band but was primarily the expression of one main person in the group ( Jeff Mangum and Jeff Tweedy in those cases). So the criteria can be kinda tough.
Anyway, let me know. Give me recommendations!
JasonconfusedIf We Make It We Can All Sit Back and LaughProfile California
I guess any album by Bob Dylan and David Bowie.
Also Frank Zappa. Can't forget Zappa.
This questions is basically about solo artists right? _________________
Feel the most like it was the idea of one person, and all of their thoughts and fears were pulled from their heads and put into music. Both are quite sporadic musically and lyrically they're gorgeous.
Unless an album feels that personal, I'm not sure it matters at all whether it's the work of one person or a band.
MercuryTurn your back on the pay-you-back last callProfile St. Louis
I guess any album by Bob Dylan and David Bowie.
Also Frank Zappa. Can't forget Zappa.
This questions is basically about solo artists right?
------------
Yeah, primarily solo artists. But honestly like the replacements album "Tim" for example and especially all there later stuff would be considered a band release. Buuuuut it feels like a very personal Paul Westerberg songwriting production. So if someone wanted me to recommend a great songwriting album I'd totally say "check out Tim by the replacements.... Etc.
Yeah, I'm just getting into Zappa! Most of the stuff I dig of his is very instrumental so far like " Hot Rats" and some of "Zoot Allures" which i love! Ill check out more of his albums.
I'm a. Dylan freak. So I agree with that.
MercuryTurn your back on the pay-you-back last callProfile St. Louis
Feel the most like it was the idea of one person, and all of their thoughts and fears were pulled from their heads and put into music. Both are quite sporadic musically and lyrically they're gorgeous.
Unless an album feels that personal, I'm not sure it matters at all whether it's the work of one person or a band.
In my gosh both of those records I want to check out more!!! I've heard parts of both and was impressed! Thanks for those recommendations!
Cymro2011The Beatles were objectively averageProfile In a deep, dark bubblegum graveyard
I like a lot of singer/songwriters, but only have full studio albums by a couple, and heard full albums from not many more.
Favorites:
Little Moon - Grant-Lee Phillips
Ladies Love Oracle - Grant-Lee Phillips
Strangelet - Grant-Lee Phillips
he's just out with another a few months ago, Walking in the Green Corn, but I haven't been able to hear more than a few songs.
52nd Street - Billy Joel
Glass Houses - Billy Joel
The Stranger - Billy Joel
Tea for the Tillerman - Cat Stevens _________________ <(: @ :)>
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum