aUL(e)Lsupreme

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/02/2014 11:59
  • Post subject: aUL(e)Lsupreme
This is my listening log. Without me, my listening log is nothing. Without my listening log, I am... well tbh, no different.

Anyhow, let's start this.

Monday, 11AM

Having just finished my final exam, Politics and Government (Parliament and Core Exceutive, very boring!) and being unable to find my English teacher to talk about how I'd go about doing a different exam board to everyone else before I move, I decide to just go home, and finalize my opinion on

Turn Blue by The Black Keys

I don't know what it is about Dangermouse, but he seems to have a strange talent in making albums sound really interesting while you're listening to them, but also utterly forgettable - the same is true of Broken Bells' After The Disco. I'm tapping my foot in time, thinking to myself "yeah this is good" - but then the songs finish and I'm left with nothing. It's a decent enough album I guess - Weight Of Love and Gotta Get Away being the definite highlights (cos geetar r kwl) but honestly I doubt I'll ever listen to it again. 7/10

Now I'm listening to Rip It Up by Orange Juice, it's not living up to You Can't Hide Your Love Forever but then it'd be unfair to expect it to.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 06/02/2014 12:23
  • Post subject: Re: aUL(e)Lsupreme
alelsupreme wrote:

I don't know what it is about Dangermouse, but he seems to have a strange talent in making albums sound really interesting while you're listening to them, but also utterly forgettable

So true. Great review

Loving your blog so far!
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/02/2014 12:47
  • Post subject:
13:29

Finished Orange Juice. It was alright, but had a few dodgy tracks where they tried to go all... idk what you call it, post-punk? reggae? all I know is I didn't like it. I came here for indie pop dammit!

Right now I'm just shuffling. As I do everyday. Reading through a list of people who disappeared mysteriously on Wikipedia, fascinating stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/02/2014 14:57
  • Post subject:
15:53

Section.80 by Kendrick Lamar

Just finished my third listen (the make/break listen) of this album. It's a brilliant one (well, it IS Kendrick) although I found that at times it was just kinda there, and I wasn't really taking it in. I only ever seem to have this issue with rap strangely, probably because it's very lyrically based, and with rappers like Kendrick it's kinda hard to keep track of what he's saying. Still, a superb album - that transition from Keisha's song melancholy to RigarMortus' playful horns is too great to not be intentional. 9/10.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/02/2014 21:13
  • Post subject:
22:11

I only listened to one other album today, this strange slice of 1960 space pop

I Hear A New World by Joe Meek & The Blue Men

Joe Meek must be some sort of wizard to make something like this when he did. It's weird, it's both very dated and yet so forward-sounding. Definitely a bit of a forgotten figure when it comes to innovations in production - a shame he never worked with any big names, imagine this guy producing, say, Revolver?

Other than that I mostly just shuffled some more until GOT came on. That fucking gory ending - that squelch. 8l
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 06/02/2014 21:54
  • Post subject:
I'm surprised such an album would be liked by you. Didn't strike me as one to be on the website.

It is for the post about Joe Meek.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/03/2014 17:48
  • Post subject:
Tuesday 18:44

So after not doing much today (there never is much to do, really) I decided to revisit this

Biophilia by Björk

It remains just as average as before. This is undoubtedly the weakest Bjork album I've heard so far - the instrumentation is only occasionally interesting (Mutual Core and Crystalline's breakbeat sections are fairly thrilling, and Cosmogony's a nice slow lull of a song) and I find Bjork rely's too much on vocal runs (this would be far more annoying if her voice wasn't so lovely). The song structures themselves seem to be rather repetitive/awkward, with the cumbersome lyrics certainly not helping. I imagine this all works much better accompanied with the Apps. 6/10.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/04/2014 11:22
  • Post subject:
Tuesday Night

These are all the albums I listened to while playing Europa Universalis IV

No One Cares by Frank Sinatra

First listen, I was fascinated by Sinatra's description of it as "an album full of suicide songs" - dark, sad Sinatra is my favourite Sinatra. It didn't dissapoint, can definitely see this becoming a favourite.

Then I moved onto In The Wee Small Hours. Still the best album from the 50's that I've heard. It's a shame that this side of Sinatra is often ignored in favour of his swing material, which I've never been much of a fan of.

Then I decided to listen to 808's & Heartbreaks (pretty glum run, eh?). I really don't know why this isn't in the top 1000 - but then I'm a bit of a Kanye fanboy.

Then The Queen Is Dead, Enter The Wu-Tang, Abbey Road and finishing with In A Silent Way. All brilliant albums. Also Merriweather Post Pavillion, which I don't think will ever "click" with me.

In case you're wondering (ur not), I did brilliantly in Europa. I took land from Denmark and Norway, and with the help of Poland, Lithuania, Scotland and Nogai (who literally cut them in half), finally ended Muscovite dominance in the area. However, I did lose half my navy by taking them too far away from my supply lines :l
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/04/2014 17:36
  • Post subject:
Wednesday Afternoon

Got myself an iPod Classic and Nokia Lumia! Solved the two problems I had; My 16gb iPod was running out of space, and my phone was an outdated piece of garbage. I now, however have a far bigger problem - i've got no money! and no job!!!

Financial problems aside, listened to one of my two 2014 albums for this week, namely

Stay Gold by First Aid Kit

I can't really comment on it, because I never pay attention on the first listen. I will say that it's amusing to hear them say the words "shit gets fucked up".

After that, I had my make/break listen of

Rip It Up by Orange Juice

Wasn't very impressed. A Million Pleading Faces and Hokoyo were just annoying, and much of it was just... really boring. The title track was the only one to rank amongst the likes of Falling And Laughing. Not gonna bother with anything else from this band. 4/10.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 06/04/2014 18:12
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:

Rip It Up by Orange Juice

Wasn't very impressed. A Million Pleading Faces and Hokoyo were just annoying, and much of it was just... really boring. The title track was the only one to rank amongst the likes of Falling And Laughing. Not gonna bother with anything else from this band. 4/10.

Yeah, that album is whack outside of a few songs. Would definitely recommend The Orange Juice (the album) though before you give up on them completely. It's dope, and nearly as good as their debut in my eyes. 'What Presence', 'Salmon Fishing In New York', 'Lean Period', and particularly 'I Guess I'm Just A Little Too Sensitive' rank high among their very best best songs. Tbh it's the natural successor to their debut, a more polished, more confident, more soulful take on their early sound.