Slowcore song recs

Goto page Previous  12
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
CellarDoor wrote:
Here's my own little comp I came up with a few months ago :

1. Galaxie 500 - Blue Thunder
2. American Music Club - Laughing Stock
3. Codeine - Pickup Song
4. Bark Psychosis - All Different Things
5. Cowboy Junkies - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
6. Low - Words
7. Lisa Germano - Cry Wolf
8. Smog - To Be of Use
9. Red House Painters - Katy Song
10. Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
11. Idaho - Stare at the Sky
12. Seam - Broken Bones
13. Bedhead - Beside Table
14. The Black Heart Procession - Your Church Is Red
15. Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I See A Darkness

So yeah, the usual suspects, but I've listened to it quite often...

Americana, alt-country, aren't far off slowcore, so you could also dig in that direction.
Or some lo-fi like Sparklehorse.


This is pretty much perfect.

I think you could definitely add early Cat Power into the mix too. Maybe "Nude As The News"
also, maybe not totally slowcore but worth considering:
Grant Lee Buffalo - "Mockingbirds"
East River Pipe - "Make A Deal With The City"
This Mortal Coil - "Kangaroo"
(because where does dream pop end and slowcore begin?)
Pedro The Lion - "Bands With Managers"

sick as a dog right now, but i'll give a much better response later.
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
No slowcore discussion is complete without this masterpiece.


Link


Sadly Mojave 3 don't get much love around BEA, even though it's basically Slowdive part 2
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
Bluetile Lounge - Liner, Hiding to Crash

Link

Carissa's Wierd - They'll Only Miss You When You Leave

Link

Codeine - D:

Link

Smog - Hangman Blues

Link

The White Birch - Breathe

Link

Low + Dirty Three - Down By the River

Link

Jessica Bailiff - Sanguine (Please Say a Word):

Link

Idaho - To Be the One

Link

Early Day Miners - Summer Ends

Link

Julie Doiron - Love to Annoy

Link

Aerial M - Wedding Song No. 2

Link

Arab Strap - Ne Birds

Link
  • Quote

Link
  • Quote
Thanks for all the recs thus far! Some acts I know well like Smog, Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Mazzy Star, and Giles Corey but didn't think of them when creating the OP. Keep 'em coming. And get well soon, meccalecca.
  • Quote
ppnw wrote:
Thanks for all the recs thus far! Some acts I know well like Smog, Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Mazzy Star, and Giles Corey but didn't think of them when creating the OP. Keep 'em coming. And get well soon, meccalecca.


Thanks!. feelin quite a bit better today, which is important, because the Atlantic Antic is today. "So I'm out pickin' pockets at the Atlantic Antic / And nobody wants to hear you cause your rhymes are so frantic" -Beastie Boys
Found some great vinyl at the Atlantic Antic last year.

Back to the slowcore.

I think Yo La Tengo could be thrown into the mix.

"Nowhere Near" by Yo La Tengo


Link


and some post Galaxie 500

"New York City" by Damon & Naomi
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
meccalecca wrote:

and some post Galaxie 500

"New York City" by Damon & Naomi


Great rec ! I recently listened to Damon & Naomi, loved them !


More Sad Hits by Damon & Naomi
_________________
I'll be your plastic toy.

  • Quote
CellarDoor wrote:
Great rec ! I recently listened to Damon & Naomi, loved them !


yeah same here. they're a very recent discovery.
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
Am pretty new to slowcore but very open to checking more of it out (this thread'll be my first stop ๐Ÿ˜ ). I like 'The Great Destroyer' by Low but is that a bit too big-sounding to be seen as slowcore?

I know Boa Morte because they are Irish - I'd be, ahem, slow to really recommend either of their albums ('The Dial Waltz' is probably the better of the two) but there's one great track on each :


Link



Link

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12
Page 2 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Song Quote Suggestions JohnnyRocketFingers Suggestions
Best Folk/Singer-Songwriter/Slowcore ... AfterHours Music Diaries
Let's Discuss Slowcore joannajewsom Music
Radiohead type band recs gussteivi Music
Album recs for my 8 year old girl Repo Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.