The ultimate Bo Diddley compilation...this has every important track. Bo was not given credit for a lot of what he did, and he gets overlooked a lot (as does most of the great rock & roll music from the 1950's). This is the genius of Bo Diddley. Great, powerful, important and necessary stuff.
Link _________________ I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
Not Sweet's best album, but it's still a solid work. Can get a bit messy at times, surprising given the pedigree of the guest musicians (Mick Fleetwood, Jody Stephens, Richard Lloyd, etc.) and the reputation Sweet has as a songwriter. Most of his albums have the same issues, but if you're patient enough, the great moments will reward you nicely.
Link _________________ I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
meccaleccaVoice of ReasonProfile The Land of Enchantment
Gonna keep hyping this up until somebody takes notice. Slight, poetic, improvised solo guitar pieces, each of which has its own feel and yet fits perfectly into the wider suite. It retains some semblance of blues and folk music throughout, but never really sounds like either. It has the same lucid, intangible quality that makes Selected Ambient Works vol. 2 one of my favourite records, but it doesn't try to be as consciously abstract as that record. This is just the sound of a person who has mastered their instrument, and can pull from it sounds that have this old-world familiarity and at the same are like very little else I've heard. It just feels so pure, so utterly detached from the immediacy of modern life, and somehow still indelibly linked to our society, with its use of nothing but the one instrument that more than any other epitomises post-War Western society, the electric guitar. It conveys that strange sense of being dragged around unwittingly yet voluntarily in those necessary if meaningless circles that make up our daily routes and routines - not to mention displays the same crystalline, economic beauty drawn from the mundanity/absurdity of everyday life - that I get from reading Paul Auster's City of Glass. If all of this is making the album sound terribly pretentious, I apologise. It's just me who's pretentious. This album is stunning. _________________ 2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
I've been meaning to listen to this for a little while. I like what you wrote-up about it, not pretentious, lovely, and makes me more eager than I already was to hear it.
Tonic's debut album has some songs that will always be part of the 90's soundtrack for those who lived it. This isn't the greatest album by any stretch, but it does bring back some memories...
Link _________________ I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
One of the greatest live soul albums ever made. This is stage presence 101...how to hold an audience: never stop the music and keep everyone engaged. This is a great performance.
Link _________________ I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
mickilennialThe Most Trusted Name in NewsProfile Detroit
Tonic's debut album has some songs that will always be part of the 90's soundtrack for those who lived it. This isn't the greatest album by any stretch, but it does bring back some memories...
Really cool debut album. I still believe U2 gets too much crap, which takes away from really good albums like this one, and the fact that this band is really very, very good.
Link _________________ I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
These two bad boys have been in heavy rotation at the drak castle for the last few days.
The first one is absurdly well-written 60s' sunshine/psych pop. After a few listens, I can say that while it isn't quite Pet Sounds or Forever Changes (but what is, anyway?), I'd safely rank it at the same level of quality as Odessey And Oracle. It's that good. It does also share a slight piece of the unpredictabilty that makes FC such a fascinating record. And yes, there is harpsichord.
The second one is a wonderful hip-hop record, pretty diverse and very consistent. It has dark, pessimistic tracks, as well as more lighthearted, soulful ones, without ever being messy or trying too hard to be everything. Smooth and laid back delivery, with a few Eminem-like anthemic parts at times, and always subtle hooks. Perfect for the hot days we (Paris) are going through.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum