Plus, many people become imprisoned by their possessions.
Exactly. Which is why I HATE these limited releases that have now become so popular in the hipster record collecting world. Whenever the record store clerk starts bragging about how it's the LAST album in stock of its uber-rare limited print to entice me to buy it, my desire instantly become flaccid. What do I care. I just want to know if it rocks or not, and if so, the more the merrier. But, some people obviously get total stiffes for that sort of thing because these limited releases are all the rage (or at least they were a few years ago).
I suppose it's great for bands, but it's not healthy either economically or emotionally for a couple of my friends who became rather OCD about not "missing out" on some new, hot limited edition release. Just one more thing to get "imprisoned" by. Collectors already had it rough to begin with. LOL.
meccaleccaVoice of ReasonProfile The Land of Enchantment
Exactly. Which is why I HATE these limited releases that have now become so popular in the hipster record collecting world. Whenever the record store clerk starts bragging about how it's the LAST album in stock of its uber-rare limited print to entice me to buy it, my desire instantly become flaccid. What do I care. I just want to know if it rocks or not, and if so, the more the merrier. But, some people obviously get total stiffes for that sort of thing because these limited releases are all the rage (or at least they were a few years ago).
That's exactly my problem with record store day. You see all these people lined up to buy a limited edition Foghat album, and then the next day it's listed on Ebay for $500. It's just people trying to make money. And the people who would actually enjoy it are left empty handed. _________________ http://jonnyleather.com
That's exactly my problem with record store day. You see all these people lined up to buy a limited edition Foghat album, and then the next day it's listed on Ebay for $500. It's just people trying to make money. And the people who would actually enjoy it are left empty handed.
Yuck. I hate anything that reeks of exclusivity. There's nothing less punk rock than this.
btw, I'd love to hear that Foghat release. ๐Not kidding.
edit: all kinds of ironic that streaming services are more punk rock than buying vinyl right now.
Exactly. Which is why I HATE these limited releases that have now become so popular in the hipster record collecting world. Whenever the record store clerk starts bragging about how it's the LAST album in stock of its uber-rare limited print to entice me to buy it, my desire instantly become flaccid. What do I care. I just want to know if it rocks or not, and if so, the more the merrier. But, some people obviously get total stiffes for that sort of thing because these limited releases are all the rage (or at least they were a few years ago).
I suppose it's great for bands, but it's not healthy either economically or emotionally for a couple of my friends who became rather OCD about not "missing out" on some new, hot limited edition release. Just one more thing to get "imprisoned" by. Collectors already had it rough to begin with. LOL.
I decided to quote Repo, but my post is really directed towards the entire conversation.
I'm oddly torn between limited edition pressings. If a popular band (lets say Tame Impala or the Black keys) release a 7" of a non-single on their latest albums, exclusively pressed with 250 copies, it will most likely go for some ridiculous price. Technically, recording the song isn't part of the expense because it's already been initially distributed as planned, so they really only need to look into cost of pressing/product/shipping, which at a bulk order of 250 copies truly isn't too expensive. Maybe $3-$5 a copy (maybe Mecca knows more about this than I do, I'm just assuming it's about that), and it would probably be sold for 20-ish dollars :roll:. Even lesser bands would probably propose a $12-14 price on limited edition singles.
I don't get it ๐งฑ It's probably the same price as it is to buy their entire album in a store or online, which the song is included on. I don't care about modern limited edition presses whatsoever.. It's slightly disgusting when they go on auction the next day as well.
Now, on the flip side, there are some rare limited edition albums that I really want on vinyl. Exuma, Buena Vista Social Club, An Empty Bliss Beyond This World and Down Colorful Hill come to mind. Or an original cover of Is This It or Electric Ladyland. To me, that stuff is cool, and I would gladly fork over a bit of cash for them. I also want it a lot more because I love the albums rather than them being rare. Those albums are just examples, but I'm sure all the vinyl collectors on here have an album or so that they love and can't find.
If you're buying a limited edition pressing of an album because you absolutely love it, then go ahead. Try not to spend a second mortgage on it of course, but maybe the extra few bucks are worth it to you. If you're buying a limited edition pressing of an album because it's limited edition, or to resell it, then just fuck off. At the heart of it, music isn't really about money (resell money), it's just whether you dig it or not. Like, when you see people on RSD buy two copies of a $30 album just so they can 'keep one sealed' is ridiculous.
There's another standpoint though, and that's local limited edition pressings. If a band you know, or one that's just in the area, has a merch table and they have $15 vinyl cuts of their album (which will probably have 50-500 copies, so 'rare' in the industry), then sure. Why not. Get them to sign it maybe, that's cool. It probably won't ever be pressed again, and if it ever is, you have a first edition. Cool. This is probably a big expense for the band, and all the copies more than likely won't sell. It isn't really 'limited edition' for them, it might even be the most accessible they'll ever be.
But buying limited edition just for the sake of it is repulsive ๐งฑ _________________ Doubles & Conch
A couple years ago I lost my digital collection of about 2k albums (if I remember correctly) that I had (mostly) bought and it devastated me (at that time I probably had around three hundred CDs). Since then, I've largely used free Spotify and grooveshark and haven't looked back; when I can't find something there, which doesn't happen too often, then I download it, usually illegally. Honestly, it's been freeing, both financially and... er aesthetically or inwardly or sth, and there's literally no downside to me. Also, it's allowed me to listen to much more music than I would have if I bought CDs. I do buy vinyl still, but haven't done so in a month or two.
Concerning Record Store Day exclusives and rarities, they're the only reason I would stand in those lines. The price is jacked, but honestly it's not bad (at least here in Austin), considering I got Sun Ra's rare Outer Spaceways Incorporated for $20-$25 when the same record store would sell something like Dopesmoker, Luxury Problems, Los Angeles, Faust I, Ege Bamyasi, The Tired Sounds Of..., Selected Ambient Works, and similarly hip records for $30+ dollars on a regular day. I haven't been able to find a copy of Outer Spaceways Incorporated easily for download or streaming, and I've only ever seen it mentioned on Scaruffi's site and discogs, so I wouldnt even be able to hear it without Record Store Day. Same goes for the remixes of "Do While." I typically only buy vinyl that's less than $10, but have bought a handful of records (like an original pressing of In A Silent Way) over $20. I'm not saying Record Store Day doesn't have it's problems, it does (e.g. actually interfering with independent labels pressing), but the pricing is honestly the least of them. Most I've ever payed for a single was Tortoise's "Madison Area"/"Madison Ave" ($9), which was a single they handed out on their 1998 tour and that's it. Thanks to an obsolete user on here, I've got some incredibly valuable (>$200) vinyl which I treasure greatly, because it was a gift from a friend, because it rocks, and yes, because it is valuable.
A couple years ago I lost my digital collection of about 2k albums (if I remember correctly) that I had (mostly) bought and it devastated me (at that time I probably had around three hundred CDs). Since then, I've largely used free Spotify and grooveshark and haven't looked back; when I can't find something there, which doesn't happen too often, then I download it, usually illegally. Honestly, it's been freeing, both financially and... er aesthetically or inwardly or sth, and there's literally no downside to me. Also, it's allowed me to listen to much more music than I would have if I bought CDs. I do buy vinyl still, but haven't done so in a month or two. .
My feeling is that if you have EVER paid for a piece of music....then you have bought it for life. A lot of stuff I used to have in other formats I have downloaded for free completely guilt free. I also have no problem downloading stuff for free if the artists are deceased or millionaires. I do pay for most downloads from indie artists and lesser known bands.
I have ZERO interest in owing anything other than digital music collection. I hauled over 500 CDS through 4 countries....never again. I'm hitting the road again in 2 weeks and all my CDS are going in storage. My music collection (2000 albums or so) fits comfortably in my pocket. The less "stuff" I have the better.
And like Keith says, there a million upsides and no downsides. Even if you're paying for everything you download...it's STILL 75 per cent cheaper than buying a fragile piece of material that's easily damaged and takes up a LOT of space (even CDS take up a lot of space once you have enough) . You get to hear a LOT of music you would not have otherwise. Digital is the only way to go for me.
There really is a difference between a listener and a collector... _________________ I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum