[Closed] Best of 1974 2AV: No Other vs. Pretzel Logic

View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which do you like better?
No Other by Gene Clark:
72%
 72%  [8]
Pretzel Logic by Steely Dan:
27%
 27%  [3]
Total Votes : 11

  • Quote
NickVolos wrote:
No Other: One of the best albums ever made!


meccalecca wrote:
Meet the Residents is one of the most original albums in music history and should advance to round 2, but I'm throwing my vote to No Other because it's simply one of the most emotionally devastating records I've ever heard, containing one of the greatest songs of the decade/all time.



No Other by Gene Clark

sp4cetiger wrote:
Pretzel Logic is one of the great masterpieces of the '70s. There are very few
albums in the tournament I would even consider voting for over it.


NickVolos wrote:
Pretzel Logic is a gem and a Steely Dan favorite.



Pretzel Logic by Steely Dan


Last edited by Listmeister on 09/08/2014 16:12; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
I prefer No Other.
  • Quote
Norman Bates wrote:
I prefer No Other.
  • Quote
I love both, but I gotta go Pretzel Logic.
  • Quote
No Other: One of the best albums ever made!
_________________
"And canโ€™t you see youโ€™re in on it?
You were born though you need not
And is that not some cause
For worship, being born among these trees?"
  • Quote
No Other
  • Quote
So here's the deal with Pretzel Logic: With this album, Steely Dan had a chance to rise above their traditional elevator music fare. I mean, with killer tracks like "Barrytown", "With a Gun", "Charlie Freak", and of course the title track, what could possibly go wrong? Well, unfortunately, the gold on this album is tainted by rather lackluster numbers like "Any Major Dude...", "Monkey in Your Soul", and (yes I'm about to go here) "Rikki Don't Lose That Number". Take out those three and you've got a mad dope (albeit short) album. Replace them with better SD songs like "My Old School", "Peg", "Black Friday", or something and you've got a masterpiece. As it stands it's a strong effort but nothing magical.

That being said, it's still easily Steely Dan's best and quite a good album, so give it a listen if you haven't.

All this is to say that I haven't heard the other album and won't be voting.
  • Quote
denmarkman wrote:

All this is to say that I haven't heard the other album and won't be voting.


You really should. No Other is quite special.

Steely Dan is extremely hit & miss for me, with Pretzel Logic being no exception, while Gene Clark's No Other is a masterpiece.
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
Mr Spock wrote:
Pretzels are not logical


No Other 8-3

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] [Closed] Best of 1974 1AE: Winter Lig... Listmeister Tournaments
[ Poll ] [Closed] Best of 1974 4BH: No Other v... Listmeister Tournaments
[ Poll ] [Closed] Best of 1974 3BD: No Other v... Listmeister Tournaments
[ Poll ] [Closed] Best of 1974 1J: Meet the Re... Listmeister Tournaments
[ Poll ] [Closed] Best of 1974 1AD: Zuckerzeit... Listmeister Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.