Recommendations Thread

Goto page Previous  123 ... 646566 ... 101102103  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
dividesbyzero wrote:

anyway, I'm just looking for quality Sitar music played by somebody other than Ravi Shankar

(I swear to god if someone throws George Harrison at me...)


Ashwin Batish dude.

Also Shahid Parvez. Check them out, see if they're what you're looking for.
_________________
Progressive Rock

Early Psychedelic Rock

Live Albums
  • Quote
Anyone who loves good music go check out this album
All Them Witches - Lightning At The Door
_________________
gi
O
  • Quote
Does anybody have any good jangle pop recs from this decade, all I've really heard is Mac DeMarco's stuff...
_________________


Memo to myself:
Do the dumb things I gotta do
Touch the puppet head
  • Quote
nachosbob wrote:
Does anybody have any good jangle pop recs from this decade, all I've really heard is Mac DeMarco's stuff...



3 by Carsick Cars


Link



Days Of Abandon by The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart


Butterfly House by The Coral
  • Quote
Recommend me sth with guitar work similar to Earth's Hex or Neil Young's work on Dead Man, Le Noise and some of his other works. Kinda doomy gloomy smokey heavy slow high distortion, distantly melodic western kinda stuff.
_________________
"I feel like for the last two years there’s been sort of a sonic evolution happening and I’ve been experimenting more and more."
  • Quote
Ok, so I need some recs, but it's a trickier request than usual because it needs to please two people with only mildly overlapping tastes. Specifically, I need gentle ambient music that would be appropriate for late at night, possibly falling asleep to. Here are some examples of things that have satisfied both of us:

Brian Eno's ambient series (she loves The Pearl)
Harold Budd's ambient stuff
Just for a Thrill - Fabio Orsi
Invisible - Steve Reich
Stars of the Lid
Yellow Bell - Jasmine Guffond

Some of the above works not so much because she likes it, but because she can easily ignore it. Here are a few things that did not please the lady:

Disintegration Loops (too repetitive)
Aphex Twin (too "weird")
Tangerine Dream (also weird)

In general, anything with harsh sounds or short-pattern repetition is going to draw complaints. Thanks!
  • Quote
sp4cetiger wrote:
Ok, so I need some recs, but it's a trickier request than usual because it needs to please two people with only mildly overlapping tastes. Specifically, I need gentle ambient music that would be appropriate for late at night, possibly falling asleep to. Here are some examples of things that have satisfied both of us:

Brian Eno's ambient series (she loves The Pearl)
Harold Budd's ambient stuff
Just for a Thrill - Fabio Orsi
Invisible - Steve Reich
Stars of the Lid
Yellow Bell - Jasmine Guffond

Some of the above works not so much because she likes it, but because she can easily ignore it. Here are a few things that did not please the lady:

Disintegration Loops (too repetitive)
Aphex Twin (too "weird")
Tangerine Dream (also weird)

In general, anything with harsh sounds or short-pattern repetition is going to draw complaints. Thanks!


Extremely liberal definition of ambient here, and some of this may be too bassy, but here goes nothing...

The Fun Years - One Quarter Descent
Shane Carruth - Upstream Color
Harald Grosskopf - Synthesist
Raica - Dose
Christine Vantzou - No. 2
Labradford - fixed::context
Gavin Bryars - The Sinking of the Titanic
Morton Feldman - Rothko Chapel
Burial - Untrue
Move D & Benjamin Brunn - Songs from the Beehive
Oval - 94diskont
Global Communication - 76:14
Avro Part - Tabula Rasa
Nicolas Jaar - Space is Only Noise
Darkside - Psychic
Kyle Bobby Dunn - Kyle Bobby Dunn & The Infinite Sadness
Bing & Ruth - Tomorrow Was the Golden Age
Pantha du Prince - Elements of Light
Roy Montgomery - Temple IV
Gas - Pop
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis

Hope that helps.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
sp4cetiger wrote:
Ok, so I need some recs, but it's a trickier request than usual because it needs to please two people with only mildly overlapping tastes. Specifically, I need gentle ambient music that would be appropriate for late at night, possibly falling asleep to. Here are some examples of things that have satisfied both of us:

Brian Eno's ambient series (she loves The Pearl)
Harold Budd's ambient stuff
Just for a Thrill - Fabio Orsi
Invisible - Steve Reich
Stars of the Lid
Yellow Bell - Jasmine Guffond

Some of the above works not so much because she likes it, but because she can easily ignore it. Here are a few things that did not please the lady:

Disintegration Loops (too repetitive)
Aphex Twin (too "weird")
Tangerine Dream (also weird)

In general, anything with harsh sounds or short-pattern repetition is going to draw complaints. Thanks!

Definitely seconding the bulk of Skinny's stuff. Would also throw in these


The Dead Texan by The Dead Texan

Bring Me The Head Of Kyle Bobby Dunn by Kyle Bobby Dunn

When The Detail Lost Its Freedom by Brian McBride

6 Sonatas by Eva-Maria Houben

Coast/Range/Arc by Loscil

The Houseboat And The Moon by Federico Albanese

Catarse by Andrei Machado

A Long Journey by Chihei Hatakeyama

Opalescent by Jon Hopkins


I've slept to all of these at some point or another so consider these /0 approved 😄
  • Quote
Skinny wrote:

Oval - 94diskont


Ooh, I love that record, shame on me for not trying it out on her already.

Anyway, lots in those lists I need to check out, thanks guys.
  • Quote
Looking for some fun hip-hop albums to play on my speakers while my friends and I play smash bros...

Some examples of stuff I've liked for the occasion


The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick by Slick Rick


Graduation by Kanye West


Below The Heavens by Blu & Exile
_________________


Memo to myself:
Do the dumb things I gotta do
Touch the puppet head

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 646566 ... 101102103  Next
Page 65 of 103


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: The Tournaments Forum Suggestions Thread Guest Tournaments
New Recommendations Thread RockyRaccoon Music
Recommendations Thread 2.0 KitchenSink Music
Recommendations Guest Music
Recommendations for a jazz newbie shoopadoowop Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.