You must listen to the album below you.

Goto page Previous  123 ... 899091 ... 197198199  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
dividesbyzero wrote:
Dave, I gots another for you:

T R I S H by Odd Nosdam


The pleasure centres in my brain just exploded. I have no idea how I missed this one. The second track in particular was indescribably hypnotic. Those repetitions. Dayummmm. This album is like sinking through a floor in a videogame due to a glitch, and the enemies start swarming above you but they can't hurt you, and all these glitchy looking patterns start emerging and you explore a bunch of areas you're not supposed to be able to see. That's what this album feels like.

For you... Might as well be this.


On The Sunday Of Life by Porcupine Tree
  • Quote
SquishypuffDave wrote:

Bass Communion II by Bass Communion


ohh hey this album, I remember hearing this one a while back but then losing it when I switched to a new computer. this is just some really lovely ambient stuff, like it seems like there was a certain brand of 90's ambient where you would have these occasional tiny drums, and things would get hazy but the form still feels pretty clear. And it's really great stuff, thank you for reminding me this exists.

One for you squishypuffdave


Choose Your Own Adventure by Team Doyobi
  • Quote
You heard this?



Tim Hecker - Virgins
  • Quote
Um... the thread does have mechanics so that there is a cohesive exchange of records...
  • Quote
Hmm? it looks like it's been keeping up, dbz gave you an album at the end of the last page

Pseud0Scorpion wrote:
You heard this?



Tim Hecker - Virgins


I actually did not really listen to this one that much when it came out. I'm a big fan of his older stuff, I remember getting My Love Is Rotten To The Core back in the day, and it really got me into granular synthesis. But that's been less and less involved in the work seemingly, and so I sorta kneejerked away from it all. But this album is pretty great. It's all really beautifully recorded and keeps things engaging. But the granular synthesis brought an edge to his stuff and this is all so smooth. I'm totally completely removed from objectivity or fairness on this, but I just want that edge back. Like yeah there's distortion and stuff sometimes but it's not the same. But I'm always wanting what's worst for artists though, these moves have brought greater success and it really is masterfully realized stuff so I'm being silly. I probably just need to listen to this stuff more, shake off the useless weight of the history so I can better accept this on it's own terms. Like I shouldn't be arguing against progression and development, but I can't help but be focused on what's been lost in it. This is really good music though, thanks for getting me to finally give it another listen.

Pseud0Scorpion the album I give for you is


Bad Timing by Jim O'Rourke
  • Quote
Choose Your Own Adventure was just sheer joy. I always find chiptune stuff hard to dislike for nostalgic reasons, but this was something else. I initially thought the appeal of the limited sound palette might wear off after a while but there was just so much invention and unpredictably. Super complex and beautiful, a bit similar to Aphex Twin's last album in the way it constantly evolved. Nothing ever ends up the way it begins.


For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night by Caravan

No idea what you'll think of this one.
  • Quote
dividesbyzero wrote:

Hey Applerill have you heard

Four Violins by Tony Conrad


Okay, finally got around to listening to this. It really is a hypnotic piece in its own way, and I can see why you compared it to my love of Orthrelm. However, affectationally this feels much more like a harsh-noise drone than a regular minimalist piece, so I think I'd use this and OV for two different things.

I still love how easy it is to have these waves of violins wash over you; it definitely takes you to a special place, even if it's more sensory than cerebral.

Anyway, I know Squishy loves Rick, but I want to hear his thoughts on Morty:

Crippled Symmetry by Morton Feldman
  • Quote
For Applerill:

some lovely new wave kitsch


Critics Pass Away by Baby Dayliner

And be sure to check out some music videos. it's part of the experience.
_________________
http://jonnyleather.com
  • Quote
secretdad wrote:

Pseud0Scorpion the album I give for you is


Bad Timing by Jim O'Rourke


So, halfway through the first song, I realized that something about the cover art was strikingly familiar, as well as the music. So anyway, apparently my Dad had this album when I was 7 or 8, which is why it brought back random memories of Seattle and mobilehomes.

From a non-nostalgic perspective, I thought the album was phenomenal, the acoustic guitar was captured perfectly on record, and at the times when extra instrumentation was added, it felt totally natural and complementary, rather than distracting, which occurs at times. I also appreciated the title of the first song "There's Hell in Hello, but More in Goodbye"; it made me chuckle and feel a bit sad at the same time. ๐Ÿ˜„ In all, I thought it was a great album, I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for a physical copy of this record. Glad you enjoyed the Hecker albumb btw.
  • Quote
meccalecca wrote:
For Applerill:

some lovely new wave kitsch


Critics Pass Away by Baby Dayliner.


...That was glorious, glorious fun from beginning to end. It's just a shame I wasn't able to listen to it while working out (which is what I'm about to leave for).

Anyway, PseudoScorpion, I don't know how much you love Joanna Newsom's, but...

[url=http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?a=27856]Ys by Il Balletto Di Bronzo

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 899091 ... 197198199  Next
Page 90 of 199


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below yo... baystateoftheart Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.