Shine a light on an album with less than 10 votes

Goto page Previous  12345678  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

MTV Unplugged by Manรก

Very well known in Mexico, I have seen that they are also popular in Spain. Catchy latin pop songs with simple romantic ballads, but you will find in between surprisingly raw songs speaking about social issues that are right now present in the home country. I am not that much of a fan of their studio albums, as they are single-based albums (IMO), so I would recommend this one.
  • Quote

Transmissions Of Not by Gannets

free-form jazz / avant garde / experimental / improv

wild, abrasive tunes. the aptly named Gannets often peeter out into bird flock sounds. men involved include (not limited to): fyfe dangerfield and alex ward, who says:

Quote:
Gannets posit an alternative jazz history in which 30โ€™s swing developed straight into a combined form of the free jazz and fusion movements, without any of the intervening decades.

_________________
follow me on the bandcamp.
  • Quote
Well, I wasn't planning on shining a light on any albums with few votes because the ones I can think of are from Spain and I don't think most users are particularly interested in non-English speaking records (as of today, there are no Spanish albums in the top 2000), but Manรก has been mentioned and they're a Mexican band, so...


Veneno by Veneno

I always say that this record is the Spanish equivalent of The Velvet Underground & Nico in terms of influence. It was mostly ignored when it came out, but if you're slightly familiar with Spanish music, you'll probably know a couple of artists that have sprung directly from this band and their blend of flamenco with rock, blues and even punk (Manolo Garcรญa, Estopa, Los Delinquentes and Ketama are a few that come to mind). It's not an immediately catchy listen, and it took me a couple of listens to really enjoy the chaotic guitar playing, the sassy and stray songwriting and Kiko Veneno's vocals, but this record sounds peculiar and unique forty years after its inception, and for an album as influential as this one (that is, in the microcosm of Spanish music), that's quite an accomplishment. If you're interested in diving into Spanish music, "Veneno" is as essential a listen as Camarรณn's "La leyenda del tiempo" and Triana's "El patio" are, without a doubt. Kiko's solo album "ร‰chate un cantecito" is worth checking out too:


ร‰chate Un Cantecito by Kiko Veneno
  • Quote

Even The Sun Was Afraid by East River Pipe

Just added this one to the site. Mini album released here in the UK on Sarah Records in 1995 from East River Pipe. Great stuff in all it's Red House Painteresque glory...I could listen to Sleeping With Tallboy on a loop all day.
  • Quote

Dead Sara by Dead Sara

I wouldn't say I love this album; I just increased my rating of it to 75. But it's a def a good modern rock album, influenced by punk and '90s alternative. Lead singer has a great voice.
  • Quote
I know this album just came out last month, but I don't think it is getting much publicity at all.



Evermore: The Art of Duality by The Underachievers

This is a fantastic psychedelic hip-hop album that talks about their struggles growing up, getting involved with drugs, and also as the world at large and some deep thoughts about life.

The album is split into two different sides. As Anthony Fantano puts it, tracks 1-7 they try to point you on the path of goodness while the rest of the tracks are a little darker in their message.

Here's a little sneak peak:

Link
  • Quote
Nice topic littlem1971. Already got few good recs here that I'd never have come across.
As James brown was mentioned at the start then these two would be worth a listen. Definitely two of the most fantastic live albums I've ever heard. Stunning.

Say It Live And Loud: Live In Dallas 08.26.68 by James Brown

Love Power Peace - Live At The Olympia, Paris, 1971 by James Brown

Also something for those who like the classic 90s boom bap. The DITC people made a few classics and for me this stands up with best of those from Big L, Finesse, Diamond D. This is hard to get hold off though as never been reissued. A must hear if you like those artists.

Runaway Slave by Showbiz & A.G.
  • Quote
Jet Black Orchid - Jet Black Orchid
Dark Matter - Knights
Manhattan - SKATERS
  • Quote

Sleeping Beauty by Junko

could it surpass Solo Violin Improvisations as BEA's least favorite album that Poe and Satie enjoy? only time will tell. the vocalist of Hijokaidan goes a capella to do to her throat what Bradfield does to her violin in the aforementioned work.
  • Quote
I don't know what you mean by 10 votes. I think this fits the bill. In my opinion this singer-songwriter album is on par with ITAotS and anything by Sufjan Stevens (or Nick Drake or... anyone). Political commentary mixed with heart wrenching personal stories... candor and anger in a great mix... I love this album. No one else does, but I don't care.


_________________
Top Canadian songs, keyless entry remotes, home care, whatever...

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12345678  Next
Page 3 of 8


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
The EP: Less Than 5 tracks & Less... Romanelli Music
The EP: Less Than 5 tracks & Less... Romanelli Music
Custom charts less than 10 entries JMan Suggestions
EPs Less Than 20 Minutes Being Flagge... Guest Suggestions

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.