In addition to Norm's excellent examples, anything from Black Monk Time (released a few months prior to Revolver) makes Taxman look like a feckin' nursery rhyme. A fuzz guitar doesn't make something 'punk', sunshine:
Back on topic, I've learnt as I've got older to carve my own musical path rather than pay any attention to the opinions of (all but a few chosen) others, so am loathed to consider any record as 'over-rated' as what other people think of an album or otherwise rarely if ever influences how I personally approach it. There is, however, one album (or rather collection) that genuinely deserves to be labelled as 'over-rated', purely and simply because it's where for 95% of people their impression and judgement of 'reggae' begins and ends. Cretins.
what was more punk than Taxman b4 taxman? what was more experimental than tomorrow never knows b4 revolver? who incorporated indian influences into rock or pop b4 Love You To? what rock group had a piano ballad as powerful as Eleanor Rigby in '66? what was as hedonistic and blasphemous back then? "there's ppl standing 'round/ who'll screw you in the ground/ they'll fill you in with all the sins you see." are you kidding me? what was psychedelic b4 I'm Only Sleeping? the vocal track sample/cinematic quality of yellow submarine... were there even albums so clearly influenced by and dedicated to drugs back then? revolver did it all. every innovation in one album, amid some of the best love songs and ballads ever written. the birth of modern rock. a record as an actual work of art beyond simple poetry wasn't even done b4 this. music was motown, jazz, blues, and standard 50's style rock n roll. this opened the door and paved the way to everything. you're joking. "revolver overrated," no way. I believe at #3 it's UNDERrated. best of all time, hands down. in another thread you say the best 3 album run is Tim Buckley, you really think he could have ever done Starsailor w/o revolver?
the white album is the overrated one, 11th of all time with all of that filler? there are plenty of perfect albums front to back, a lot more than 10, white album at 11 is an insult to so many greater things. it was just what revolver started, taken further, nothing really innovative. helter skelter was more punk than taxman, revolution 9 (too damn long) was more experimental than tomorrow never knows. when I hear revolution 1 I wish that the single version of the song was on the album instead. donkey craft compared to revolver. the next most overrated is kanye's MBDTF, but I'm about to give it a couple more listens tomorrow and I might have to eat these words. I highly doubt it compares to illmatic though. kanye's flow is too weak, his lyrics too inferior.
Ill answer later today/tonight after work, but before I do I wanted to double check: is your response intended as a parody of the "overestimation" I was referring to? I don't think it was, but I want to make sure so I'm not wasting my time.
What's more The Jam than Taxman before Taxman?
Anyways say what you want regarding Revolver having been all done before. Seems a bit daft to me. Especially taking into account Tomorrow Never Knows. That new film about those Beatle people highlights that track and its innovation. Mind you by 66 singing, writing songs and recording them was old hat. Dylan had invented songwriting in the late 50s but by 66 had already moved forward. Also everybody knows you can't be punk in 66 because McLaren hadn't invented it yet (he also invented scratching with Buffalo Gals). Nice guy.
I don't find everything the Beatles did to be overrated like some, but Rubber Soul is way too high on this site in my opinion. I would definitely put it in the top 50 or so but 21 makes it way overrated. Rolling Stone put it in their top 5 if I'm not mistaken. Same thing with the White Album at 11. It's great and very unique but 11 is way too high.
Personally I'm not really a fan of the Neutral Milk Hotel record either. _________________ Attention all planets of the solar federation: We have assumed control.
I don't find everything the Beatles did to be overrated like some, but Rubber Soul is way too high on this site in my opinion. I would definitely put it in the top 50 or so but 21 makes it way overrated. Rolling Stone put it in their top 5 if I'm not mistaken. Same thing with the White Album at 11. It's great and very unique but 11 is way too high.
Personally I'm not really a fan of the Neutral Milk Hotel record either.
Rubber Soul may be a little too high, and the White Album is definitely waay to high.
I don't find everything the Beatles did to be overrated like some, but Rubber Soul is way too high on this site in my opinion. I would definitely put it in the top 50 or so but 21 makes it way overrated. Rolling Stone put it in their top 5 if I'm not mistaken. Same thing with the White Album at 11. It's great and very unique but 11 is way too high.
Personally I'm not really a fan of the Neutral Milk Hotel record either.
Rubber Soul may be a little too high, and the White Album is definitely waay to high.
Where would you rate the White Album? It's kind of an anomaly for me. Never sure on where is the right spot for it. _________________ Attention all planets of the solar federation: We have assumed control.
I don't find everything the Beatles did to be overrated like some, but Rubber Soul is way too high on this site in my opinion. I would definitely put it in the top 50 or so but 21 makes it way overrated. Rolling Stone put it in their top 5 if I'm not mistaken. Same thing with the White Album at 11. It's great and very unique but 11 is way too high.
Personally I'm not really a fan of the Neutral Milk Hotel record either.
Rubber Soul may be a little too high, and the White Album is definitely waay to high.
Where would you rate the White Album? It's kind of an anomaly for me. Never sure on where is the right spot for it.
No idea, it has some of the highest highs yet there is simply too much filler. Lets compare it to other great double albums. It's definitely weaker than Blonde on Blonde and The Wall. However. it's better than Exile (which is also overrated).
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum