2017 Albums

Goto page Previous  123 ... 474849 ... 565758  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Need to give Saturation II a second listen, but my first impression is that I prefer the first. Saturation is less refined and has weaker moments overall, but explores a much wider spectrum of sounds within Hip Hop. The new one mostly sounds like GOLD on repeat - hard beat, Abstract dropping a sick hook, Ameer rapping about dealing weed. No bad thing. Preferred the heavier sprinkling of tender moments.
  • Quote
Looking forward to what promise to be 3 of the best albums of the year from Neil young, alvvays and......Liam Gallagher (tumbleweed blows across the forum). Really.
  • Quote
new kassel jaeger and kaitlyn aurelia smith albums are pushing this year into best of the decade territory for me. with the keith fullerton whitman stuff and keith rowe and kara-lis coverdale and konrad sprenger and khaki blazer, this is really turning out to be a banner year for k's.
  • Quote
Sometimes it's a good thing to wade into the RYM forum-cesspool. Thank you Swede. You know why.
  • Quote
Daydreamer wrote:
Just listened to A Deeper Understanding.

Seems like it was worth the wait, guys. It's really hard for me to rate it based on the first listen but it was a truly enjoyable listen. The atmosphere and mood are similar to Lost In The Dream with the band's trademark hazy sound. The production seems just a bit more clear with Granduciel's voice being more up in the mix which is great. I briefly read through the lyrics and they deal with the similar themes like LITD. One of the things I liked the most was brilliant guitar playing throughout the album. The guitar in LITD was very Knopfler influenced (not that it's a bad thing), but here Granduciel found his true identity as a guitar player, although the Knopfler like phrases can still be found in places. There were moments in guitar solos here where the guitar had this loud, almost screaming sound and it was absolutely epic and awesome. The solos were often the emotional climaxes of the songs here and his guitar playing is what allowed it.

Will be reporting again after a few more listens.

I'm on the terrace of my holiday hotel in Spain and listening to many New albums at the same time:


Lost In The Dream by The War On Drugs
I totally agree with daydreamer: very good album with great guitar sound


Invitation by Filthy Friends
This is a collaboration between Peter Buck and Corin Tucker of Sleater-Kinny and has some very good tracks


Dead Cross by Dead Cross
Very good hardcore album like they don't make them any more with the imposing voice of Mike Patton on top of it


Painted Ruins by Grizzly Bear
Sone good tracks but I'm not yet sure If I will like it as much as their former albums


Villains by Queens Of The Stone Age
I think I'm gonna like it but I need another listening session

And finally two Belgian albums:


Colossus by Triggerfinger
Not a big fan of the band and will have to listen more to this one


Dieter Von Deurne And The Politics by Dieter Von Deurne And The Politics
And finally this one I can really recommend to fans of 80s and 90s indie rock in the style of Pavement, GBV and Dinosaur Jr: it has some great tracks

In short: what a great day in rock music!!
  • Quote
I've listened to hundreds of albums in 2017 but the one I keep coming back to is Gang Of Youths " Go Farther In Lightness " . This band has been building towards this for 3 years & has been getting better with each release since 2015 . The Nationals pending release seems the only thing between it and album of the year .
  • Quote
Looking forward to the new Citizen and new Hodera albums coming out in October.

My top 3 albums of '17 so far:

1. Lorde - Melodrama (this one really surprised me)
2. Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile To The Surface
3. Brand New - Science Fiction
  • Quote
First track off of Luciferian Towers is out on GY!BE's Bandcamp now. Doesn't sound like anything else they've done. It's interesting and I like it!
  • Quote
OK so I've been growing away from pop punk for a while if y'all couldn't tell but like this


The Peace And The Panic by Neck Deep

is one of the worst albums I've heard of the past few years. The first few tracks are really generic mid 2000s pop punk deserving of like a 7/10 on my scale but there are some of my absolute least favorite, bubblegummy, gross tunes on here in years.

"In Bloom" especially reminds me of a more heavily produced Plain White Ts non-single, though I'm listening to "Our Time Now" and it genuinely feels like a really impressive musical accomplishment after sitting through this album.

Not been a huge Neck Deep fan ever but usually am pretty "eh" on them. This was a massive disappointment for me.
_________________


. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

"While I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to Earth" - Frightened Rabbit
  • Quote
New Wiki >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 474849 ... 565758  Next
Page 48 of 58


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Your own top 2017 albums & overal... Nyoink77 Music
The lowest ranking excellent albums i... rkm Music
Your favourite rap albums of 2017 Skinny Music
It's 2017... and we're still getting ... Fischman Music
[ Poll ] 2017 Championship Tournament: Play-In... baystateoftheart Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.