Top 200 lists made in 1978 & 1987

Goto page Previous  123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
There hasn't been that many major changes to the so-called canon of rock albums in 30 or 40 years. Obvs there are a few changes but not many. Apart from Pink Floyd have got a lot more popular with muso critics.

I have 23 of the 1978 list in my top 100 and 27 of the 1987 list in my top 100. So I have plenty of canon fodder in my top 100.

I like classic albums. Not just cos they're popular, some I didn't know were so massive when I first got into them. But it's making me think. Should I mix it up a bit and put albums I like that aren't as high on these kind of lists in my top 100? Albums I love which are in my decade charts?

What I do know is my tastes change in a year. An album I really was into last year I may not rate as highly now.

It's given me food for thought.
  • Quote
Makes me happy to see this one snuck in there (first list)


Everything Is Everything by Donny Hathaway
  • Quote
It's the albums that have slipped out of favour that I find interesting. They must have some kind of merit to be on there, but some of them are all but forgotten.

This one appears on the second list at 63, and on BEA at 37,202. I listened to it a while back and enjoyed it. I'll have to check it out again.


Dreamer by Bobby Bland
  • Quote
At #56. I picked this up a few weeks ago on CD for 95c. It's one of those albums I don't really like, but keep for one song, "Boys of Summer". Same with his late 80's album, "End of the Innocence" is the only good track, in my opinion. I should just buy the best of.


Building The Perfect Beast by Don Henley
  • Quote
rkm wrote:
Never heard of this at 36, on the first list.


California Bloodlines by John Stewart


just looked him up
he wrote Daydream Believer for the Monkees
playing this album now
  • Quote
Stover75 wrote:
rkm wrote:
Never heard of this at 36, on the first list.


California Bloodlines by John Stewart


just looked him up
he wrote Daydream Believer for the Monkees
playing this album now


Oh, come on, guys..."Gold" was a HUGE hit. Stevie Nicks is on it. John Stewart was a member of the Kingston Trio.
_________________
Speakers of the House DJ
  • Quote
rkm wrote:
Never heard of this at 36, on the first list.


California Bloodlines by John Stewart


Its a fairly famous singer-songwriter album.
  • Quote
rkm wrote:
Joni "For The Roses" and "Clouds" on the first list, and "Court and Spark" on the second, but no "Blue". Strange,


That's always been the way i ranked Joni album's. I think Blue is only her fourth or fifth best album. Its only recently that Blue became her most popular album. 20 years ago nobody thought that. It shows how things can change over time
  • Quote
bobbyb5 wrote:
That's always been the way i ranked Joni album's. I think Blue is only her fourth or fifth best album. Its only recently that Blue became her most popular album. 20 years ago nobody thought that. It shows how things can change over time


"Hejira" is my favourite. Probably followed by "Court and Spark", "Blue", "Hissing of Summer Lawns"....
  • Quote
rkm wrote:
"Hejira" is my favourite. Probably followed by "Court and Spark", "Blue", "Hissing of Summer Lawns"....


Mine goes like this;

The hissing of Summer lawns
Court and Spark
For the Roses
Miles of aisles
Hejira
Don Juan's Reckless daughter
Blue

It's been pretty consistent over time for me

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123  Next
Page 2 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
World album of the day (#200): 200 km... albummaster Music
Listen to a BEA top 200 record youโ€™... Guest Tournaments
My Top 200 aricohen129 Music
NARM Definitive 200 only has 100 albums? ChromeAce Suggestions
which 5 music artists will be remembe... paladisiac Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.