Best 80's Album?

Goto page Previous  123 ... 15, 161718  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Best 80's Album?
The Joshua Tree:
7%
 7%  [9]
Doolittle:
18%
 18%  [21]
The Queen Is Dead:
20%
 20%  [23]
The Stone Roses:
4%
 4%  [5]
Appetite For Destruction:
2%
 2%  [3]
Other:
46%
 46%  [52]
Total Votes : 113

  • Quote
Anyways, we should talk about the actual best album of the 80s


Rain Dogs by Tom Waits
_________________
Progressive Rock

Early Psychedelic Rock

Live Albums
  • Quote

_________________
Calling The Shots
  • Quote

Disintegration by The Cure


and this is close behind


Shahen-Shah by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
  • Quote
๐Ÿคฃ Where did I say ACDC was hair metal ha, you know i didnt. I haven't even said that gnr categorically are not hair metal. Are you saying ACDC are not comparable to gnr? Just mentioned them because back in black to me would be an obvious comparison to AFD.
Also if I want to listen to some metal I don't go there for the mind blowing lyrics. Great music is multifaceted so I can get by with some average words if it fits. I've never seen AFD as having really terrible lyrics, maybe the odd one eh ha but it's not exactly def leppard. When anyone thinks of Sweet Child o Mine, they don't don't think about all the lyrics do they? The song has one of the most distinctive and famous rock intros ever, up there with Stairway to Heaven.
That picture is fairly hair metal ๐Ÿคฃ Though Slash looks more thrash and Stradlin more Stones. But hey. So we both think they can be classed as hair metal but maybe less so than most of the others in that category, they are not the best lyric writers in the world and the album is great.
Actually I really must listen to Rain Dogs and Waits in general.

Btw anyone who likes this era of guns n roses should look at the MTV concert from 1988 on YouTube.
  • Quote
Graeme2 wrote:
:lol: Where did I say ACDC was hair metal ha, you know i didnt. I haven't even said that gnr categorically are not hair metal. Are you saying ACDC are not comparable to gnr? Just mentioned them because back in black to me would be an obvious comparison to AFD.


My bad, I wasn't sure if you were, it was a little unclear to me. I didn't think you were, but I just wanted to make sure.

As for whether AC/DC and GNR are comparable, perhaps slightly, but I would say they're pretty different bands. AC/DC is more in the blues-oriented three-chord straight-ahead hard rock arena while GNR was more hair metal. But they did both have lead singers with high voices (at least, post-Bon Scott AC/DC did) and very distinctive lead guitarists, so I guess there's some reasonable level of comparison there.
_________________
Progressive Rock

Early Psychedelic Rock

Live Albums
  • Quote

Footloose: Music From the Motion Picture by Various Artists


Purple wrote:
Kenny Loggins was the sun. The 80s were just planets
  • Quote
RockyRaccoon wrote:


So lots of things

First, GNR was not exactly better lyrically than their hair metal contemporaries. I've already mentioned that Sweet Child O Mine is lyrically pretty much garbage, and I don't really see how Paradise City is all that much more poetic than Girls Girls Girls. Not to mention some of the stuff off of Use Your Illusion (i.e. Get In The Ring).


It's hit or miss but I think there are some absolutely amazing lyrics sprinkled throughout the Use Your Illusion Records. Get In The Ring is I guess purposely one dimensional lyrically, but then you have lines from the end of Coma like..

And I wish that I could help you
With what you hope to find
But I'm still out here waiting
Watching reruns of my life
When you reach the point of breaking
Know it's gonna take some time
To heal those broken memories
That another man would need
Just to survive

Perhaps not life-changing Dylan-esq wordplay, but some very chaotic themes that match the build up of the music around it.
_________________
Attention all planets of the solar federation: We have assumed control.
  • Quote
I would say Guns N Roses and AC/DC is a very apt comparison. They are probably the two bands from that 80s metal sound with any real and lasting talent IMHO. Well and VH if you include them in the same category. I don't really think GNR or AC/DC is HAir Metal and VH kind of either invented or perfected it so they get a pass. The three are all certainly light years ahead of the Poisons, Cinderellas, and Motley Crues of the world.
  • Quote
glynspsa wrote:
I would say Guns N Roses and AC/DC is a very apt comparison. They are probably the two bands from that 80s metal sound with any real and lasting talent IMHO.


AC/DC goes back well before the 80s
_________________
Progressive Rock

Early Psychedelic Rock

Live Albums
  • Quote
Quote:
They are probably the two bands from that 80s metal sound with any real and lasting talent



This can only be said by someone with no knowledge or experience with metal. That or you're trolling. No in-between.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 15, 161718  Next
Page 16 of 18


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
[ Poll ] The Best album of 100 ; The Best of t... Behrus58 Tournaments
OI! Canadian Best Album + Best Film t... Guest Tournaments
World album of the day (#533): The Be... albummaster Music
[ Poll ] The Best album of 100 ; The Best Group Behrus58 Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.