I love 1989, 1988, 1981, and 1980 a lot and sometimes I'm not really sure why. Since we're going over the years I've thought about going through my individual year charts and ended up debating with myself all week over this new chart to the point I'm relatively content. What a fucking year. What a fucking decade.
If you look hard enough you will find below the sheen that the 80s is as good or better than most years. 1988 is the best year of the 80s and possibly the greatest year in all music. Not just in albums but music movements. If you love hip hop then this year must be one of your favourites. This little record came out... It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back by Public Enemy
I choose 1980. Because 1980 had some of the sweet afterglow of the 70s. But by the mid-80s the Afterglow was completely gone.
Yes, and in the same idea, I find some stuff of 1989 had a 90's feel: The first Lenny kravitz album, Ride on Time the single by Blackbox, the first Stone Roses album, I don't know..
(in the same way the first Magazine album (1978) was very much 80's)
Yes, and in the same idea, I find some stuff of 1989 had a 90's feel: The first Lenny kravitz album, Ride on Time the single by Blackbox, the first Stone Roses album, I don't know..
(in the same way the first Magazine album (1978) was very much 80's)
True. That's because musically decades don't begin and end right on time. There's usually a couple years lapse from the previous decade. For instance, the 60s didn't really end till about 1973. And the 80s didn't really end till about 92. And the 90s didn't end till about 2003. If you know what I mean. I mean the feel of music. Like it wasn't until about 1973 that the hippie-ish feel of music began to change to something else. There were the first rumblings of Punk and disco and other things that had a completely different feel from the late 60s.
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
This decade is nearly impossible for me to pick a clear winner.
List of 80s in my sig.
Looks like:
Good amount of albums in each year. Something my previous charts don't see (usually pretty heavy on certain years).
Then 88 and 89 are neck and neck for the #... but 3 of 88 are in my top 10 and only one of 89... idk I can't choose! haha.
1980 9 9%
1981 8 8%
1982 9 9%
1983 10 10%
1984 9 9%
1985 8 8%
1986 10 10%
1987 8 8%
1988 14 14%
1989 15 15%
Other than some good fusion, the decade was largely the bottom of the bathtub for jazz, which would recover some in the '90s.
Your knowledge of 50s and 60s mainstream jazz is phenomenal, but I respectfully assert that the 1980s were a better decade for jazz than the subsequent ones. IMHO, jazz has been gradually going downhill every decade since the 1960s.
It's Henry Threadgill's best decade: Just the Facts and Pass the Bucket and You Know The Number are my favorites, but most of his six Sextett albums from the 80s have been cited by someone at some point as his best.
My favorite Art Ensemble of Chicago album, Urban Bushmen, came out in the 80s.
Ditto Dave Holland's best album, The Razor's Edge. Arguably his best decade too.
Pat Metheny's best decade: 80/81 and Rejoicing are my favorites (except for the first Pat Metheny Group album and Bright Size Life, I prefer his straight-ahead jazz albums), but a good decade for PMG too.
My favorite decade for David Murray -- prefer his Octet albums to his earlier and later work.
Abdullah Ibrahim (Dollar Brand)'s best decade. His song "The Mountain" (1986) is one of the most beautiful jazz tunes ever.
Jack DeJohnette's best decade (as a leader).
My favorite period for Bill Frisell is 1987-1996; his best album is probably Before We Were Born (1989).
And many jazz greats from the 1950s-70s did their best post-70s work in the 1980s: McCoy Tyner (Horizon's one of his better albums), Tony Williams (his best straight-ahead work), Woody Shaw, Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers, Freddie Hubbard, Andrew Hill, Sun Ra, J.J. Johnson, Tommy Flanagan, and arguably Ornette Coleman and Sonny Rollins.
You know, I haven't heard this LP for an age and forgotten quite how good it was - cheers Tap.
'80-'82 were golden years for dub - Scientist's Greensleeves series, Cry Tuff Chap. 3, I Wah Dub, some great stuff coming out of Wackies. Given that all 3 of dub's main protagonists (Tubby, Jammy, Scientist) were all very much active, and with the likes of the Mad Prof, Adrian Sherwood and Dennis 'Blackbeard' Bovell starting to come through I'd say (from a personal point of view at least) they'd tip the balance towards the earlier part of the decade for me. _________________ 'Reggae' & t'ing Folk 'n Stuff SHAMELESS RECORD DEALER PLUG
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum