Glad you liked it! It's my favorite mixtape of all-time, and it's also the first time I eagerly awaited an artist's debut mixtape before it was released. That was because of Noname's outstanding features on projects by other Chicago luminaries like Mick Jenkins and Chance The Rapper. There is a really vibrant new school of rap and r&b in Chicago, and all the people in the scene are connected to some degree. This includes Noname, Chance The Rapper, Mick Jenkins, Saba, Smino, Donnie Trumpet, Vic Mensa, Joey Purp, BJ The Chicago Kid, and TheMIND*. Most of it is soulful and jazzy to some degree - perfect for the Mellow Zone. This generation is all the Chicago kids in Home/Homecoming who "want to rap and make soul beats just like you." That is to say, Kanye is a major jumping off point for their music, and probably Common to a lesser extent. In contrast, the other big scene in Chicago now is menacing drill with its clattering beats (and its baby cousin bop), so it really is a tale of two cities.
* in rough order by how essential they are
Nice checked out some chance today and could hear the kanye influence on a couple of tracks for sure. Not sure what I think of it yet, but that's normal for me on first listen.
Some dark, post-apopcalyptic shit for sure. It's like ambient-drone hip hop. Very, very cool.
Yeah that Earl Sweatshirt album is a very good record and has grown on me over time.
Somehow I omitted Ravyn Lenae from my list even though she's in the Pitchfork lineup - oops! She belongs in that orbit for sure and her EP from this year is excellent soul. Jamila Woods is another great r&b artist in the Chicago new school that I left out. Her debut HEAVN from 2016 is quite good and mellow.
And as for drill, I'm not the biggest fan, but it can be good in the right mind state. G Herbo probably has the best mixtapes, most prominently Welcome To Fazoland. Chief Keef has the most famous single in the genre with Don't Like. The genre gets thin fast though and there's a ton of mediocre releases. Meanwhile, bop is more or less drill fused with pop rap and Sicko Mobb is the most prominent group in the genre, with several good singles. I haven't gotten into any of their full-lengths, but I have Trophies, Kool Aid, and Fiesta Remix in my library. _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
meccaleccaVoice of ReasonProfile The Land of Enchantment
Whatever you do, do not miss Circuit des Yeux. I'm not sure how it'll work in the outdoor setting, but they're the best live performance I've seen this year and possibly in the past few years. _________________ http://jonnyleather.com
Whatever you do, do not miss Circuit des Yeux. I'm not sure how it'll work in the outdoor setting, but they're the best live performance I've seen this year and possibly in the past few years.
Anyone who wants to trace the massive influence of NWOBHM on the development of thrash metal needs to listen to this addictive album where Overkill crib so many riffs from both Priest & Maiden that they ought to have garnered royalties. Great stuff especially for fans of classic Priest, Maiden & Kill "Em All Metallica.
Just but this on and ... I'm speechless. Maybe the best rec I've ever received and that's saying something. Anyone expecting something like Matt Cameron's other bands namely Skin Yard and Soundgarden will be in for a little shock as this has much more in common with the jazz-influenced rock groups of the Knitting Factory in NYC not Seattle. Fantastic playing. Hard to to peg down but definitely avant-garde jazz/prog rock at its finest and this is just in the midst of my first listen. Highly recommended to all adventurous listeners out their who liked the weirder bands on the SST label back in the 80s.
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
Records I really like from 1990 (much still to discover):
1. Heaven Or Las Vegas - Cocteau Twins
2. Goo - Sonic Youth
3. People's Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm - A Tribe Called Quest
4. So Said Kay (EP) - The Field Mice
5. Reading, Writing And Arithmetic - The Sundays
6. Violator - Depeche Mode
7. Fear Of A Black Planet - Public Enemy
8. Bona Drag - Morrissey
9. No Depression - Uncle Tupelo
10. The House Of Love (The Butterfly Album) - The House Of Love
11. Behaviour - Pet Shop Boys
12. Songs For Drella - Lou Reed & John Cale
I just started my holidays in Spain an now on the way in Bรฉziers France
Next to the albums quoted by Baystate hete some:
Swagger by The Blue Aeroplanes
I keep on promoting these guys: my top album for the year
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum