1. Sugar & Spice (EP) - Hatchie
2. Streams Of Thought, Vol. 1 (EP) - Black Thought*
3. Future Me Hates Me - The Beths**
4. Lush - Snail Mail***
5. Lost & Found - Jorja Smith**
*Not exactly a true debut, but it is the first record credited to him as a solo artist
**Debut LP, but had an EP in 2016
***Debut studio LP, preceded by two EPs and a live album _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
...but that's probably it ๐ I'm going to say 95% of my 2018 charts is by previously known artists (like, with at least an EP or two under their belt, that sort of thing). It's been a somewhat unorthodox year all-around. Not particularly sure if this is what you're looking for. Previous records aside, I'd say Kali Uchis could be 2018's breakout. _________________ Doubles & Conch
listened through both this morning. neither one earth-shattering, but there's both pretty solid and will probably grow on me. _________________ follow me on the bandcamp.
meccaleccaVoice of ReasonProfile The Land of Enchantment
Saw Tomberlin open up for Mirah on Tuesday, and I've been listening to this on repeat since then. Beautiful, emotionally enrapturing folk that could have been released in almost any decade.
listened through both this morning. neither one earth-shattering, but there's both pretty solid and will probably grow on me.
I disagree on the genre classification and earth shatteringness of the julia holter album. I'm 5 listens deep and put it at number 3 for the decade and I'll probably end up putting it higher.
listened through both this morning. neither one earth-shattering, but there's both pretty solid and will probably grow on me.
I disagree on the genre classification and earth shatteringness of the julia holter album. I'm 5 listens deep and put it at number 3 for the decade and I'll probably end up putting it higher.
ah! thank you for disagreeing. that makes me pretty excited to revisit(s) it.
eta: relistening to julia's. i was a bit hasty to say it wasn't earth-shattering (in my defense, i suspected it'd grow on me, haha, ok that's no excuse). it's actually right up my alley as far as my favorite releases this year (anja garbarek and birdwatchers). i'm still inclined to use the term "dream pop" for it, though i suppose "art pop", "alternative" or "baroque pop" are all in the neighborhood as well. i'm not terribly fond of those terms, but they perhaps are closer heart for some. i'm not sure how you'd classify it? _________________ follow me on the bandcamp.
if I had to I guess I'd say art pop, not the biggest fan of that term either but people use it I guess. ideally though I think avoiding classification entirely is the way to go, there's a lot to this one.
Yeah. Lovin' Julia Holter's new album too. It's really racing up BEAs 2018 chart, which I like to see. I think this is happening because fans of the album are liking it enough to put it straight onto their 2010s chart (11 and climbing for me). Maybe it will top the 2018 chart yet!
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum