Collaborative Diary: 2010

Goto page Previous  123, 4 ... 293031  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Komorebi-D wrote:


Best AAA pop record (out of below), GO!


Body Talk by Robyn



(Yeah I know Body Talkโ€™s a collection but just deal with it!)


Agreed. Plus, my nine year old will be pist off it we didn't include it. We don't want to mess with her. She's a fiery one, that Tilly.
  • Quote
A Noise Supreme


Public Service Announcement by Purling Hiss

A lo-fi indie rock masterpiece of the American Underground. Philly had quite the underground scene back in the 2000s/2010s and this is one of its highlights. He played a lot with Kurt Vile back then and there are a lot of similarities but I think I like this even better! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

the title is clearly a homage to Jimi Hendrix who really should be worshipped more than he is in the indie rock sphere.


Last edited by Repo on 12/26/2018 18:23; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote

Your Mercury by Teeth Of The Sea

I gave this a listen, and I did like it. There are 7 related artists in Spotify that I am familiar with, so I guess it was just a matter of time until I got to this! I probably never listened to it, because this is a bad band name. There are a lot of musical elements and genres trying to be mixed here, and it doesn't always work, but I can applaud the ambition. I will have to check out another album of theirs.
  • Quote

Have One On Me by Joanna Newsom


Public Strain by Women


King Night by Salem
  • Quote
Gonna be flagging up some of my favourites here as I revisit them, starting with...


Da Trak Genious by DJ Nate

Perhaps the purest juke LP ever pressed, this is a powerhouse of clipped, pitch-shifted catchphrases, pummelling bass throbs, and dry, frenetic percussive clicks and snaps, an album that is raw, functional, and entirely free of the genre's recent artsy flourishes or nods towards rockist structural arcs. Sweet '90s r'n'b vocal lines and melodies are weaponised, turned into dark, alien, hyperactive monsters, minimalist in layering terms but made to feel dense through the music's unrelenting motion, a cartoon fight cloud blur of familiar elements put together in ways that still feel electric and forward-thinking nearly a decade on (which is incredible, given that club music often appears to push forward in dog years). It's a primal, polyrhythmic sugar rush of a record, a crude and confrontational cut and paste job which proves that gut instinct, a desire to get people dancing, and boundless imagination are the most potent tools in any great dance producer's armoury.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote

Satan Worshipping Doom by Bongripper

Despite a band name that suggests a mixture of lethargy and comedy, an album titled wrought with clichรฉ, and some of the most hideous cover art known to humankind, Satan Worshipping Doom is an album of towering ambition, from a band that evidently takes its craft seriously, without ever forgetting to have heaps of groove-riddled fun in the process. Riffs are piled high, as is to be expected from any instrumental doom album with an ounce of self-worth, but it's the dynamic nature of these hearty jams which really make this so special, as the band whizz through a variety of tempos and textures, taking in elements of sludge, black metal, psych-rock and drone, whilst still staying faithful to a staple diet of fuzzed-out riffery (straight from the Bluntfog School of Witchcraft and Electric Wizardry) and Valhallan percussion, crafting gnarly walls of sound from which epic guitar lines appear, in a seemingly neverending procession, inspiring involuntary headbanging on contact. One of my favourite metal albums, and one that reveals something new with every listen.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.


Last edited by Skinny on 12/16/2018 19:34; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote

New Amerykah Part Two: Return Of The Ankh by Erykah Badu

Released, if I remember correctly, to a relatively lukewarm response from fans and critics who wanted more of the overtly hip-hop influenced, sociopolitical, psychedelic soul stew served up by Part One (of what had initially been proposed as a trilogy), Return of the Ankh has aged like a fine wine in the long, album-starved years since it dropped. (We've all agreed to forget that mixtape of 'Hotling Bling' remixes, right?) More in line with her earlier, more personal material, this album actually benefits from its supposed low stakes, with Badu and a host of like-minded, Soulquarian-adjacent musicians mining the smooth, luxurious, slyly funky sonic palette provided by Talking Book and Innervisions to craft an album of catchy, heartfelt, immediately accessible jams that sound equally at home on a car stereo in summer or through headphones on a rainy night indoors. Whilst I may appreciate that the sprawling ambition of Mama's Gun makes it Erykah's most impressive statement, New Amerykah Part Two is the Badu album I return to most frequently, with damn good reason: it's bloody gorgeous.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
Skinny wrote:


New Amerykah Part Two: Return Of The Ankh by Erykah Badu

Released, if I remember correctly, to a relatively lukewarm response from fans and critics who wanted more of the overtly hip-hop influenced, sociopolitical, psychedelic soul stew served up by Part One (of what had initially been proposed as a trilogy), Return of the Ankh has aged like a fine wine in the long, album-starved years since it dropped. (We've all agreed to forget that mixtape of 'Hotling Bling' remixes, right?) More in line with her earlier, more personal material, this album actually benefits from its supposed low stakes, with Badu and a host of like-minded, Soulquarian-adjacent musicians mining the smooth, luxurious, slyly funky sonic palette provided by Talking Book and Innervisions to craft an album of catchy, heartfelt, immediately accessible jams that sound equally at home on a car stereo in summer or through headphones on a rainy night indoors. Whilst I may appreciate that the sprawling ambition of Mama's Gun makes it Erykah's most impressive statement, New Amerykah Part Two is the Badu album I return to most frequently, with damn good reason: it's bloody gorgeous.


Amen. Criminally underrated album and a strong contender for her best.

P.S. The mixtape is great though, and it's much more than just Hotline Bling remixes...
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote


Wow! I have been missing out on this. Not like I didn't know about Janelle. Her 2013 album is on the same playing field as this. But man was this otherworldy and just put a smile on my face and warmed my heart. A contender for Top 10 for 2010. Probably tackle the Erykah Badu album next.

Grade:95
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
Skinny wrote:


New Amerykah Part Two: Return Of The Ankh by Erykah Badu

Released, if I remember correctly, to a relatively lukewarm response from fans and critics who wanted more of the overtly hip-hop influenced, sociopolitical, psychedelic soul stew served up by Part One (of what had initially been proposed as a trilogy), Return of the Ankh has aged like a fine wine in the long, album-starved years since it dropped. (We've all agreed to forget that mixtape of 'Hotling Bling' remixes, right?) More in line with her earlier, more personal material, this album actually benefits from its supposed low stakes, with Badu and a host of like-minded, Soulquarian-adjacent musicians mining the smooth, luxurious, slyly funky sonic palette provided by Talking Book and Innervisions to craft an album of catchy, heartfelt, immediately accessible jams that sound equally at home on a car stereo in summer or through headphones on a rainy night indoors. Whilst I may appreciate that the sprawling ambition of Mama's Gun makes it Erykah's most impressive statement, New Amerykah Part Two is the Badu album I return to most frequently, with damn good reason: it's bloody gorgeous.


Amen. Criminally underrated album and a strong contender for her best.

P.S. The mixtape is great though, and it's much more than just Hotline Bling remixes...


Eh, the mixtape is fine - it's fun, and has a couple of standout moments. But it is equally the most forgettable, flimsy, and overall inconsequential thing she's done, and whilst reducing it to "'Hotline Bling' remixes" is admittedly unjust, she does try to wring far too much material from a fairly innocuous concept. I'm just bitter we never got a proper Part Three, though.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123, 4 ... 293031  Next
Page 3 of 31


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Collaborative charts Guest Suggestions
MeccaLecca Starts New Music Diary To ... meccalecca Music Diaries
Matt's Music Diary 2024 pranafilms Music Diaries
This Diary Isnโ€™t For You Jimmy Dread Music Diaries
The Romanelli Music Diary: Ropin'... Romanelli Music Diaries

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.