Collaborative Diary: 2010

Goto page Previous  123, 45 ... 293031  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

Bruh, we got two 95's in a row. That outro alone is some otherworldly stuff. To the point I need a new record like real soon. And if not, well I'll say to take your time. Weirdly enough, when a year end becomes a collaborative effort, the quicker I get to this. But then again, I don't have work today or tomorrow, so something like this would get some form of progress.
  • Quote
Luigii wrote:
To the point I need a new record like real soon. And if not, well I'll say to take your time. Weirdly enough, when a year end becomes a collaborative effort, the quicker I get to this. But then again, I don't have work today or tomorrow, so something like this would get some form of progress.


Just took a look at your overall so I'm going to give you this...


Cerulean by Baths
  • Quote
Tilly wrote:
Just took a look at your overall so I'm going to give you this...


Cerulean by Baths


Dude, so far this is wonderful. Like damn, this is some otherworld like stuff.
  • Quote
I've listened to very little from this year, but I will pitch in my recommendation for the year (since I'm the only person on this site who's rated it). It's too long and too derivative but it's sweet and fun and it's got some good melodies and guitar playing, I guess:


Swazi Soul by Bholoja
_________________
It's easier to say "I love you," than "Yours, sincerely," I suppose
  • Quote
Sandinistar wrote:
I've listened to very little from this year, but I will pitch in my recommendation for the year (since I'm the only person on this site who's rated it). It's too long and too derivative but it's sweet and fun and it's got some good melodies and guitar playing, I guess:


Swazi Soul by Bholoja


Might make this album my next listen. But here's a recommendation of Afrobeat from 2010



Dunya by Bibi Tanga and The Selenites.
  • Quote

Forgiveness Rock Record by Broken Social Scene

I know this is the final nail in the coffin for any doubt that I donโ€™t worship Pitchfork but similar to the points Skinny was making about Erykahโ€™s beautiful mixtape; I think this is the most overlooked Broken Social Scene album. Itโ€™s not hard to see where everyoneโ€™s coming from about it having nowhere near the same amount of thrills of any of the last 8 years worth of their releases had but thatโ€™s kind of where this one excells. Apart from maybe the opener โ€œWorld Sickโ€ that is, and maybe โ€œTexico Bitchesโ€ too. Itโ€™s a more layered, sparse and slowburning record. Iโ€™m not saying itโ€™s their Moon Shaped Pool or anything but it is harder to grasp and with so many highlights too. To me this is, also, their most fascinating collection of tracks too, the ways they use synths to expand and bring you in still makes me feel a little lightheaded. In the best way possible. So if youโ€™ve heard it and you feel cheated, come at it again. I canโ€™t promise you anything but I have a good feeling that youโ€™ll like it more the second time around.
_________________
Some RYM paraphernalia:

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]


Last edited by Komorebi-D on 12/16/2018 22:40; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote


Thank You Tilly.
This might be for Top 5 of 2010. But also might not be since I only have 21 albums under my belt, and might get even crazier stuff. But as of now, wonderful stuff. Grade:95
  • Quote

Incarcerated by Lil Boosie

Boosie will forever be a man out of time. Berated by purists upon his early '00s breakout for the pitch of his voice, the simplicity of his lyrics, and - let's be real - for being too damn Southern, critical and national praise eluded him. That he was loved in his hood, and those surrounding it, with a fervour usually reserved for Tupac or Jesus, may seem inconsequential, but goes a long way to highlighting the inherent misunderstanding of the man and his music in other parts of America and the world. A couple of minor hits in collaboration with perfect foil Webbie (more on him later) followed in the middle of that decade, but his albums and mixtapes were where he showcased his depth as an artist, balancing out songs about stereotypical rapper indulgences with tales of poverty, loyalty and casualty set in Baton Rouge. He had the voice of a cartoon mouse, but the heart of a lion. However, his career stalled repeatedly as he struggled to keep himself out of legal trouble, most famously beating a charge of first-degree murder. (The great L.A.-based hip-hop writer Jeff Weiss neatly chronicled his case at the time, pointing out the lack of evidence and trumped up nature of some of the other charges against him, if anybody is interested in further reading on the matter.)

This is where Incarcerated comes in; recorded in the days immediately prior to being locked up for a then unknown period of time, the album is a masterpiece of strength in the face of adversity, a furious, paranoid, heart-wrenching monster of a record, obsessed with pride, betrayal, and the systemic railroading of young black men. Released while Boosie was actually incarcerated, it is the culmination of his work up until the point of its release, an album that is so consistently strong it feels almost like a greatest hits, albeit one delivered with a previously unheard level of intensity, born out of frustration and desperation. The beats, largely handled by BJ (me neither), are excellent - what BJ lacks in originality, he makes up for in competence, successfully recreating the crisp, synthetic bounce of Mannie Fresh or the bluesy swing of Pimp C, depending on what a given track demands, and providing clear and memorable melodies to perfectly match Boosie's nasally whine and effortless hooks. That reliable partner in crime Webbie shows up on numerous occasions is certainly welcome, as his marble-mouthed growl always works in beautiful contrast to Boosie's, and the fact that he throws in a potentially career-best verse on 'Betrayed' is a greatly appreciated bonus.

But, in 2010, it felt strangely old school. For all its brilliance, sonically the album hadn't really progressed a great deal since his debut, a full decade earlier - sharper and more hi-def, certainly, but still a few steps behind the bruising Lex Luger productions that helped make Waka Flocka a star, or even the twinkling Zaytoven synths over which Gucci was turning himself into rap's cleverest court jester. On top of that, the album's sequencing followed a pattern as laid out by 50 Cent back in the first half of the 2000s, with a graphic sex rap and a slight ghetto love ballad thrown into the album's back half for reasons that are surely, in part, commercial. And then there's the fact that Boosie simply seemed antiquated in comparison to what else was going on in hip-hop, from Odd Future's internet-savvy anarchy, to Kanye's rapper-as-auteur/conducter maximalism, to Roc Marciano's arty, lo-fi revivalism; suffice to say, all three of those artists have had a much greater impact on today's rap landscape than Boosie, even if his influence can be seen on artists as disparate and distinct as YG, 03 Greedo, Kodak Black, Mozzy, and YoungBoy NBA. By the time Boosie got out of prison, his style appeared even more quaint - in 2000, his rapping was considered quickfire and melodic, but in a post-Young Thug and post-Migos world, it sounds borderline rigid.

And so, what we have here is an album both of and outside its time, a record that Boosie felt he had to make, with uncertainty over his future and a whole lot to say, and he made it in the only way he knew how. It is his best, most complete record, and it could never have been made by anybody else. It isn't perfect, but neither is its creator. It is, however, one of the finest hip-hop albums ever made, and a true Southern classic that never was.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
Luigii wrote:


Thank You Tilly.
This might be for Top 5 of 2010. But also might not be since I only have 21 albums under my belt, and might get even crazier stuff. But as of now, wonderful stuff. Grade:95


Nice! Glad u dug it.

Since you're on a roll, here's one more for you...


Causers Of This by Toro Y Moi
  • Quote
Tilly wrote:
Luigii wrote:


Thank You Tilly.
This might be for Top 5 of 2010. But also might not be since I only have 21 albums under my belt, and might get even crazier stuff. But as of now, wonderful stuff. Grade:95


Nice! Glad u dug it.

Since you're on a roll, here's one more for you...


Causers Of This by Toro Y Moi


At some point, I need to go through all of Toro Y Moi's stuff. He is having a new record coming out early 2019. But I'll get through this. Right after I finish Swazi Soul.

Also guys and girls, please listen to Swazi Soul. So far this is some chill, heart warming music. Still have 9 more tracks to get through but damn, Sandinistar is right. This needs more love.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123, 45 ... 293031  Next
Page 4 of 31


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Collaborative charts Guest Suggestions
A Peep Through A Spyglass: My Chart B... Spyglass Music Diaries
MeccaLecca Starts New Music Diary To ... meccalecca Music Diaries
Matt's Music Diary 2024 pranafilms Music Diaries
This Diary Isnโ€™t For You Jimmy Dread Music Diaries

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.