You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 808182 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
1.


King Of The Country Blues by Blind Lemon Jefferson

As you might expect from 20s recordings, the sound quality is shot, but this is a beguiling collection of early blues songs. Jefferson doesn't have the same songwriting chops as, say, a Robert Johnson, but few do after all. Quite worthwhile. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. Chief, listen to the music of a Straight Texas Hoodlum

~~~~~

3. BEA Top Rated Chart Sampler

11. Stover75: 22. Lionheart - Kate Bush
12. Antonio-Pedro: 12. Shawcross - Good Morning
13. Jimmy Dread: 3. Paix - Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes
14. DJENNY: 30. Youโ€™re Living All Over Me - Dinosaur Jr.
15. ShadowColossi: 11. Neon Golden - The Notwist
16. badseed: 4. Tender Prey - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds
17. Kool Keith Sweat: 6. 94 Diskont - Oval
18. YikYak: 3. โ€ฆLike Clockwork - Queens Of The Stone Age
19. antisecurity: 1. What Does It All Mean? 1983-2006 Retrospective - Steinski
20. Norman Bates: 1. Bienโ€ฆ Si Bien - Bourvil
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
(1)


Chief, you did wonderful. Just for this album alone, I'm gonna cover 2001 next since they have an album in that year. But also, this was wonderful. An engaging and entertaining prog album that just keeps kicking ass from beginning to end. Honestly, if I went into every detail of the album, we will be here forever. So I'll just say, go listen to it if you haven't. Like right now.
Grade:100

(2)
Bay listen to 94 Diskont

(3)
Best Ever Albums 2000 List
#61 The Sickness-Disturbed
#70 Alone With Everybody-Richard Ashcroft
#73 Mother Earth-Within Temptation
#79 Return Of Saturn-No Doubt
#84 V-Spock's Beard
#85 Holy Wood-Marilyn Manson
#86 Spiritual Machines-Our Lady Peace
#92 Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy-Mindless Self Indulgence
#94 All Hands On The Bad One-Sleater-Kinney
#95 Disappeared-Spring Heel Jack

15 albums left. I will shake the list up somewhat slightly for 2001. But you will have to wait and see for what I am referring to.
  • Quote
Quote:
Chief, you did wonderful


Heh, I don't like that album at all, but it seems as though Fischman has a new friend if you liked that album that much. ๐Ÿคฃ
  • Quote
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Quote:
Chief, you did wonderful


Heh, I don't like that album at all, but it seems as though Fischman has a new friend if you liked that album that much. :lol:


Are you kidding me. ๐Ÿ˜ Fuck. Well I think everyone will like what I will do with 2001. So I'm still happy.
  • Quote

At San Quentin by Johnny Cash

Johnny Cash is great! This is not quite as good a set list as Folsom Prison but he is such an amazing performer. Fantastic interaction with the crowd. I can't imagine someone playing a song live twice in a row just because the crowd asks them to play it again! Score: 8.5/10, rank 8/30 for 1969, and 24/89 for the 60's.

Luigii let's listen to Holy Wood.


Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death) by Marilyn Manson

Seth's best of the 60's (2 picks left)

12. Donovan's Greatest Hits - Donovan
26. With The Beatles - The Beatles
33. Willy And The Poor Boys - Creedence Clearwater Revival
34. Wheels Of Fire - Cream
35. First Take - Roberta Flack
36. Smiley Smile - The Beach Boys
43. Beatles For Sale - The Beatles
44. Bayou Country - Creedence Clearwater Revival
45. Brave New World - Steve Miller Band
48. The Meters - The Meters
  • Quote
(1)


This is great. Hell I might argue this is excellent. My critique for this record would be how it could somewhat drag. Now this might change since, I was listening to this early in the morning. But I do find it very interesting. For one, I do love the vocals. Marilyn Manson has this strange tone that I fell in love once the album started. I will also argue that the sound design on some of these tracks were quite creative. And lastly, I do want to read into more in the lyrics. Other than that, I'm excited to revisit to more of Marilyn's other albums. Grade:85

(2)
Pash, try Wheels Of Fire.

(3)
Best Ever Albums 2000 List
#61 The Sickness-Disturbed
#70 Alone With Everybody-Richard Ashcroft
#73 Mother Earth-Within Temptation
#79 Return Of Saturn-No Doubt
#84 V-Spock's Beard
#86 Spiritual Machines-Our Lady Peace
#92 Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy-Mindless Self Indulgence
#94 All Hands On The Bad One-Sleater-Kinney
#95 Disappeared-Spring Heel Jack
#96 It Was Hot, We Stayed In The Water-The Microphones

14 albums left
The finish line is coming up the horizon.
  • Quote
1.

Stress: The Extinction Agenda by Organized Konfusion
This was fantastic. In the world of hip-hop it's sometimes hard to know who said it first or if they are quoting someone (for me at least). Some iconic rapping but then some half decent singing (what I hate about Kanye-dude can't sing). Some of the rapping was a bit dry, but overall some great instrumentals made this a fantastic rap album imo. 85-90.

2. Luiigi - It Was Hot, We Stayed In The Water-The Microphones

3.
256. Still Life by Opeth (1999)
274. Human by Death (1991)
322. Hvis lyset tar oss by Burzum (1994)
324. Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler by Ulver (1995)
332. Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch (2006)
360. Desertshore by Nico (1970)
362. Red House Painters [Rollercoaster] by Red House Painters (1993)
370. NEU! '75 by NEU! (1975) (assuming this is different
373. Script of the Bridge by The Chameleons (1983)
374. Altars of Madness by Morbid Angel (1989)


375. Moment of Truth by Gang Starr (1998)
378. Individual Thought Patterns by Death (1993)
379. Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus by Charles Mingus (1964)
380. Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath (1980)
381. Youth of America by Wipers (381)
386. Storm of the Light's Bane by Dissection (1995)
387. Ghost Reveries by Opeth (2005)
390. Lanquidity by Sun Ra (1978)
395. You Won't Get What You Want by Daughters (2018)
396. Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) by Eno (1974)
399. Astigmatic by Komeda Quintet (1966)
400. flood by Boris (2000)
  • Quote
(1)

This is one of those albums that I feel like I should like a lot more than I do. Because while I do find some of these songs quite good and ambitious in the confines of indie rock, some of these tracks become indulgent. Like I feel like I should enjoy Drums but by the tail end of the song I feel drained. So my final thoughts would be though I am excited for The Glow Pt.2 I am also nervous for it.
Grade:75, could be an 80 also could be lower. But it's a 75

(2)
Seth, Still Life by Opeth.

(3)
Best Ever Albums 2000 List
#61 The Sickness-Disturbed
#70 Alone With Everybody-Richard Ashcroft
#73 Mother Earth-Within Temptation
#79 Return Of Saturn-No Doubt
#84 V-Spock's Beard
#86 Spiritual Machines-Our Lady Peace
#92 Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy-Mindless Self Indulgence
#94 All Hands On The Bad One-Sleater-Kinney
#95 Disappeared-Spring Heel Jack
#97 V: The Mythology Suite-Symphony X

13 albums left.
When I get to only have 2 albums left for 2000, I'll post for both albums.
  • Quote
Interesting that you found a lo-fi indie album to be more indulgent than a symphonic prog album. Given I haven't listened to either, but that's not an opinion you hear every day.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
Interesting that you found a lo-fi indie album to be more indulgent than a symphonic prog album. Given I haven't listened to either, but that's not an opinion you hear every day.


I think for me it would be that the Transalantic album always felt like it was keeping the listener occupied and each section felt fine tuned. While It Was Hot felt like if they groomed some of these songs out more maybe I would have been more fulfilled. But that's just me.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 808182 ... 444445446  Next
Page 81 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.