You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 828384 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
1.


Nowhere by Ride

Huh. This is good music, but not what I expected at all from one of the most acclaimed shoegaze albums. This review on RYM somewhat echoes my initial thoughts, although passable and cheap are overly harsh adjectives:

Panda08 wrote:
Don't let the loud guitars fool you; Nowhere isn't really shoegaze. It's passable '90s alternative rock hiding beneath a wall of sound and cheap theatrics.


Maybe further listens will help me sort out my confusion. Starting this at a light 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. Luigii, in the rules we've been playing by, you have to maintain a list of ten albums so people have enough choice. So after listening to this album I'll be picking, you have a few options, such as: a) using nine albums from the 2000 list and one from your new list, and then 8-2, 7-3, etc. as the number of 2000 albums decreases b) fully switching to another list for the canon game and finishing the final nine of 2000 on your own instead of in this thread.

Feel free to message me with any questions. With that said, my pick for you is The For Carnation.

~~~~~

3. BEA Top Rated Chart Sampler

11. Antonio-Pedro: 12. Shawcross - Good Morning
12. Stover75: 22. Lionheart - Kate Bush
13. Jimmy Dread: 3. Paix - Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes
14. DJENNY: 30. Youโ€™re Living All Over Me - Dinosaur Jr.
15. ShadowColossi: 11. Neon Golden - The Notwist
16. badseed: 4. Tender Prey - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds
17. Kool Keith Sweat: 7. Millions Now Living Will Never Die - Tortoise
18. YikYak: 3. โ€ฆLike Clockwork - Queens Of The Stone Age
19. antisecurity: 1. What Does It All Mean? 1983-2006 Retrospective - Steinski
20. kadupheming: 1. Milagre Dos Peixes - Milton Nascimento
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote

Let's Die 2-Gether by Murder Inc.

I was expecting more of a 'Heltah Skeltah' vibe based on the cover, and I kind of got that, but this was mostly another gangsta rap album from New Orleans. File this under the female rappers that kill it section though, because she kills it. I don't know her name, but I think it's a woman. I honestly don't know, because I can't find much about this album.

Here's the best track that does have that horrorcore vibe I was looking for. It actually S L A P S. (As the kids say)


Link



Baystate, it's Tortoise next for you. One of my favorites as well.

Ill Advised- Can You Smell It
Live Poets- What's It All About
Greer - Ill Visions
Red Money- II Much Red
Big 50- Ain't No Turnin' Back
Intrepid Stylez- Underground Connex
Legend Man- Pressure & Pain
G-Slimm- Fours Deuces & Trays
Mac & A.K.- Westbound (For Riders Only) The EP
Two Illeven- Ounce of Game
  • Quote
1.

Moment Of Truth by Gang Starr
Hmm... I'm torn. There's some really solid stuff on here. But there's some mediocre stuff on here too. dunno... 80?

2. Ill Advised- Can You Smell It

3.
274. Human by Death (1991)
322. Hvis lyset tar oss by Burzum (1994)
324. Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler by Ulver (1995)
332. Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch (2006)
360. Desertshore by Nico (1970)
362. Red House Painters [Rollercoaster] by Red House Painters (1993)
370. NEU! '75 by NEU! (1975) (assuming this is different
374. Altars of Madness by Morbid Angel (1989)
378. Individual Thought Patterns by Death (1993)
379. Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus by Charles Mingus (1964)

380. Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath (1980)
381. Youth of America by Wipers (381)
386. Storm of the Light's Bane by Dissection (1995)
387. Ghost Reveries by Opeth (2005)
390. Lanquidity by Sun Ra (1978)
395. You Won't Get What You Want by Daughters (2018)
396. Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) by Eno (1974)
399. Astigmatic by Komeda Quintet (1966)
400. flood by Boris (2000)
  • Quote
(1)


When I saw that this would be a slow core record, I was concern since the last slowcore album I listened for this list, I found quite boring. But this was wonderful. In RYM, the site mentioned it was post rock. I would argue it was that but the sounds reminded me that this was more jazz inspired. But there is more to that where there is more texture that feels somewhat ambient and drone like. There is also maybe a hint of trip hop. But as a record, yeah I want to listen to this again and want to dig in more into it. Grade:95

(2) Charles Mingus Seth.

(3)
Best Ever Albums 2000 List
#70 Alone With Everybody-Richard Ashcroft
#73 Mother Earth-Within Temptation
#79 Return Of Saturn-No Doubt
#84 V-Spock's Beard
#86 Spiritual Machines-Our Lady Peace
#92 Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy-Mindless Self Indulgence
#97 V: The Mythology Suite-Symphony X
#99 American Beauty OST-Thomas Newman
#100 No Name Face-Lifehouse

Welcome the second top 100 list
Best Ever Albums 2001 List
#1 Is This It-The Strokes

Now the new rule will be brought up once we get to album 2 of 2001. Also the 2001 will get bigger once 2000 is done. It is your choice.
  • Quote

Can U Smell It by Ill-Advised





Luigii, as much as I want to give you "Is This It", let's get your 2000 picks out of the way. Try the No Doubt album.

Live Poets- What's It All About
Greer - Ill Visions
Red Money- II Much Red
Big 50- Ain't No Turnin' Back
Intrepid Stylez- Underground Connex
Legend Man- Pressure & Pain
G-Slimm- Fours Deuces & Trays
Mac & A.K.- Westbound (For Riders Only) The EP
Two Illeven- Ounce of Game
Tha Kompound- Recognize Where The Funk Lyes - We Got 'Em All
  • Quote
1.


Millions Now Living Will Never Die by Tortoise

Beautiful and fascinating album. This is going to command more listens, but I'm already a fan. My first experience with the opposite side of post-rock from crescendocore and I'd like to explore more. 4/5.

~~~~~

2. Underground Connex

~~~~~

3. BEA Top Rated Chart Sampler

1. Mercury: 3. The Complete Blind Willie Johnson - Blind Willie Johnsonย 
2. Tilly: 12. Stormcock - Roy Harperย 
3. Tap: 14. Futuristie - Pierre Henryย 
4. babyBlueSedan: 10. American Football - American Footballย 
5. Arthurknight: 5. Tender Prey - Nick Cave And The Bad Seedsย 
6. Imaybeparanoid: 23. Only Revolutions - Biffy Clyroย 
7. SingingPeasant96: 7. Stains On A Decade - Felt
8. Jimmy Dread: 2. On Top - The Heptones
9. sidneyfranklyn: 8. Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart And His Magic Bandย 
10. LadyGodiva: 7. The La's - The La's
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
(1)

I feel like I do need more listens to have this grow on me. Because while I would argue it is a great album that is somewhat ambitious and had care has this weird aura that feels a bit boring. Maybe it is a bit late and I need to go to bed. But there is something that I just can't place my finger as to why I feel this way. Grade wise:80 but could be an 85

(2)
Bay lets take in a deep breath and listen to Trout Mask Replica. Will be a hard pill to swallow, but will be able to sigh in relief when it is done.

(3)
Best Ever Albums 2000 List
#70 Alone With Everybody-Richard Ashcroft
#73 Mother Earth-Within Temptation
#84 V-Spock's Beard
#86 Spiritual Machines-Our Lady Peace
#92 Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy-Mindless Self Indulgence
#97 V: The Mythology Suite-Symphony X
#99 American Beauty OST-Thomas Newman
#100 No Name Face-Lifehouse

Best Ever Albums 2001 List
#1 Is This It-The Strokes
#2 Amnesiac-Radiohead (R)

So the capital R is the new gimmick for this session where any 01 album I have listen to will get another go round since it has been a while for some of these albums. I might do something else with the 01 list if I feel like it is needed. But that is the new thing.
  • Quote
1.

Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus by Charles Mingus

Could've fooled me (not being as familiar with Mingus... I thought this was just like a best of album and was a bit confused... now I wanna go back and listen to these recordings compared to earlier ones. Fantastic... re-recordings/comp? For jazz this makes a bit of sense though. Heck even Dave Grohl wanted to record his debut album with the Foo Fighters. An easy 90.

A bit I read on the AllMusic interwebs:
Quote:


Having completed what he (and many critics) regarded as his masterwork in The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, Charles Mingus' next sessions for Impulse found him looking back over a long and fruitful career. Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus is sort of a "greatest hits revisited" record, as the bassist revamps or tinkers with some of his best-known works. The titles are altered as well -- "II B.S." is basically "Haitian Fight Song" (this is the version used in the late-'90s car commercial); "Theme for Lester Young" is "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat"; "Better Get Hit in Your Soul" adds a new ending, but just one letter to the title; "Hora Decubitus" is a growling overhaul of "E's Flat Ah's Flat Too"; and "I X Love" modifies "Nouroog," which was part of "Open Letter to Duke." There's also a cover of Duke Ellington's "Mood Indigo," leaving just one new composition, "Celia." Which naturally leads to the question: With the ostensible shortage of ideas, what exactly makes this a significant Mingus effort? The answer is that the 11-piece bands assembled here (slightly different for the two separate recording sessions) are among Mingus' finest, featuring some of the key personnel (Eric Dolphy, pianist Jaki Byard) that would make up the legendary quintet/sextet with which Mingus toured Europe in 1964. And they simply burn, blasting through versions that equal and often surpass the originals -- which is, of course, no small feat. This was Mingus' last major statement for quite some time, and aside from a solo piano album and a series of live recordings from the 1964 tour, also his last album until 1970. It closes out the most productive and significant chapter of his career, and one of the most fertile, inventive hot streaks of any composer in jazz history.


2. Luigii... I'm surprised Lifehouse made it on this website, little alone a top 100 list (I suppose it's a deep dive into a single year... but still)... anyway, enjoy mate!

3.
274. Human by Death (1991)
322. Hvis lyset tar oss by Burzum (1994)
324. Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler by Ulver (1995)
332. Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch (2006)
360. Desertshore by Nico (1970)
362. Red House Painters [Rollercoaster] by Red House Painters (1993)
370. NEU! '75 by NEU! (1975) (assuming this is different
374. Altars of Madness by Morbid Angel (1989)
378. Individual Thought Patterns by Death (1993)
380. Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath (1980)

381. Youth of America by Wipers (381)
386. Storm of the Light's Bane by Dissection (1995)
387. Ghost Reveries by Opeth (2005)
390. Lanquidity by Sun Ra (1978)
395. You Won't Get What You Want by Daughters (2018)
396. Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) by Eno (1974)
399. Astigmatic by Komeda Quintet (1966)
400. flood by Boris (2000)
  • Quote

Underground Connex by Intrepid Stylez

This album was good beatwise and flow-wise, but it was lacking something. I think it was bass. The songs didn't hit quite as hard as it sounded like they should. Might have just been a lack of good recording. These are getting harder to rank though.

Seth, their are some on your waiting list I really want to get to, but I'll have you listen to Morbid Angel for now.

Live Poets- What's It All About
Greer - Ill Visions
Red Money- II Much Red
Big 50- Ain't No Turnin' Back
Legend Man- Pressure & Pain
G-Slimm- Fours Deuces & Trays
Mac & A.K.- Westbound (For Riders Only) The EP
Two Illeven- Ounce of Game
Tha Kompound- Recognize Where The Funk Lyes - We Got 'Em All
Lil Gangsta P- Meet the Lil Gangsta
  • Quote
1.

Altars Of Madness by Morbid Angel

This seemed a bit more believable at first. Besides the ridiculous vocals... it's like christian music batting for the other team... anyway, it's the monotony of it. Like the first song is kick ass and then because it's pedal to the MEHTUL all the time, it loses it's wow factor. So yeah -I'd listen to a song or two and then move on. Never an album. 75.

2. Live Poets- What's It All About (cuz it's all about the streets... the street poets, man).

3.
274. Human by Death (1991)
322. Hvis lyset tar oss by Burzum (1994)
324. Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler by Ulver (1995)
332. Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch (2006)
360. Desertshore by Nico (1970)
362. Red House Painters [Rollercoaster] by Red House Painters (1993)
370. NEU! '75 by NEU! (1975) (assuming this is different
378. Individual Thought Patterns by Death (1993)
380. Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath (1980)
381. Youth of America by Wipers (381)

386. Storm of the Light's Bane by Dissection (1995)
387. Ghost Reveries by Opeth (2005)
390. Lanquidity by Sun Ra (1978)
395. You Won't Get What You Want by Daughters (2018)
396. Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) by Eno (1974)
399. Astigmatic by Komeda Quintet (1966)
400. flood by Boris (2000)

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 828384 ... 444445446  Next
Page 83 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.