Black History Month Listening Project (Third Annual)

Goto page Previous  123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
maybe we should turn this to a listening project next year if BEA is still around


I mean it already is a listening project, one that I've been inviting people to join me in for three years now... no time like the present.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
I mean it already is a listening project, one that I've been inviting people to join me in for three years now... no time like the present.

its in the middle of the month!
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
its in the middle of the month!


Two weeks >>> zero weeks. The first time I did it I had the idea partway through the month.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
at any rate, in line of the thread i am relistening to


New Breed by Dawn Richard
  • Quote
Baystate, have you heard any Rahsaan Roland Kirk?


Rip, Rig & Panic by The Roland Kirk Quartet Featuring Elvin Jones


Just in case you haven't heard this already:


They Say I'm Different by Betty Davis
  • Quote
PurpleHazel wrote:
Baystate, have you heard any Rahsaan Roland Kirk?


Rip, Rig & Panic by The Roland Kirk Quartet Featuring Elvin Jones


Just in case you haven't heard this already:


They Say I'm Different by Betty Davis


Yes, I really enjoy both albums you posted. I prefer I Talk With The Spirits and Betty Davis s/t though. Apart from those four, I haven't heard any other albums by either of them.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote

Something About You by Angela Bofill

underrated gem from the 80s, produced by Michael Walden
  • Quote
We donโ€™t have a Black History Month until October in Blighty, but seeing as itโ€™s Sunday and Iโ€™ve been listening to very little else aside from gospel these past few weeks I feel qualified to chuck this in for your delectation:



Real raw, good-olโ€™-fashioned R&B to stir even the hardest of hearts. Lula has soul, sure - a gruff Aretha after numerous packets of B&H if you will - and the original LP goes for a lot more than found on your average church collection plate (Iโ€™ve got a repress though). Thereโ€™s power. Thereโ€™s beauty. Thereโ€™s praise. Thereโ€™s yearning. Itโ€™s well worth ducking out of mass to stick on your turntable...
_________________
'Reggae' & t'ing
Folk 'n Stuff
SHAMELESS RECORD DEALER PLUG
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:

Blacks And Blues by Bobbi Humphrey


Man, I love Blacks and Blues! Bobbi is a delightful artist.
  • Quote
Past couple years, I've had some recommendations for this effort. This year, I've been so immersed in my jazz diary, I'll just reference that. Tons of goodies to be found in those pages.

If I had to narrow it down to a single recommendation specifically for this topic, I'd go with:



Review here:
https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...p;start=30

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123  Next
Page 2 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: User Listening Log Masterlist mickilennial Music Diaries
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Women's History Month Listening Proje... baystateoftheart Music
Black History Month Listening Project... baystateoftheart Music
Black History Month Listening Project... baystateoftheart Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.