You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 205206207 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
// 1


Medúlla by Björk

Okay, this one took me a bit...I'd only heard Debut and Post, so I just couldn't jump in without revisiting those and then going through Homogenic and Vespertine. Maybe I've been making a bad habit of that, I don't know. But, I do know that Medúlla was my favorite of the bunch. The avant-garde, near a capella style of this album was a welcome departure from her earlier albums which, honestly, grew a bit tiring with the slew of similar house beats (that was probably more a result of listening to them back to back to back, but still). Medúlla is closer to art song, which better gels with my folkie core. I don't know that Björk will ever be an artist that I can throw on anytime, but I do have a lot of respect for her unique vision and ambition, particularly within the realm of pop. Her music should be the fountainhead for a compelling pop movement (I'm sure it already is?).

// 2

And speaking of Medúlla, I was recently on the hunt for some avant-garde vocal music, so Brain Sound is a done deal for me.

Find out how criminal this is:


Unlawful Noise by Haazz & Company

// 3

Luigii’s 84 Greatest Music Albums:

1. Velocity : Design : Comfort /--/ Sweet Trip
3. Caracal /--/ Disclosure
5. Virgins /--/ Tim Hecker
7. Pop /--/ Gas
11. Astral Progressions /--/ Josef Leimberg
12. The Velocity Of Love /--/ Suzanne Ciani
13. Harmony In Ultraviolet /--/ Tim Hecker
15. The Royal Scam /--/ Steely Dan
16. Love Deluxe /--/ Sade
17. Emergency On Planet Earth /--/ Jamiroquai
_________________
Can you play free, or in three, or agree to try something new?
  • Quote
1.

The Sounds Of India by Ravi Shankar
At first I thought it was really cool that this was an educational album as much as it was great raga/Indian classical music. I think had he just done the intro and left the rest alone... idk. Anyway, I also didn't like this as much as the "Portrait of a Genius" or "Music of India: Three Classical Rāgas" or the "The Genius of Ravi Shankar" album I have for some reason. I felt like the educational aspect of it somehow didn't allow the music to just be/the music itself wasn't for the music, but the education, if that makes any sense. So I say all that, but really, it was still pretty good. I think the biggest beef was that the drone/tanpura wasn't very droney- hehe. 3.5/80.

2. I have yet to fall in love with any other record of Björk's other than her Debut record, but your writeup of that one makes me intrigued to check it out (missing the house beats and all). I know I "should" like her other releases more, but yeah, I just haven't fallen in love with them as much.
- 1. Velocity : Design : Comfort /--/ Sweet Trip - let's glitch it up.


3. Robert Dimery's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (587/1001)
Ogden's Nut Gone Flake Small Face 1960s 1968 (needs rating)
Traffic Traffic 1960s 1968
Basket of Light Pentangle 1960s 1969
Mott the Hoople Mott the Hoople 1960s 1969
Ananda Shankar Ananda Shankar 1970s 1970
Gasoline Alley Rod Stewart 1970s 1970
Stephen Stills Stephen Stills 1970s 1970
The Madcap Laughs Syd Barrett 1970s 1970 (don't get too excited for me, not a fan of the Syd Barrett days with Pink Floyd)
Close to You The Carpenters 1970s 1970
Absolutely Live The Doors 1970s 1970 (I've watched the Hollywood Bowl performance, but don't remember hearing this)
John Barleycorn Must Die Traffic 1970s 1970Trafalgar Bee Gees 1970s 1971If I Could Only Remember My Name David Crosby 1970s 1971Coat of Many Colors Dolly Parton 1970s 1971Madman Across the Water Elton John 1970s 1971Tarkus Emerson, Lake, & Palmer 1970s 1971A Nod's As Good As a Wink... to a Blind Horse Faces 1970s 1971Live! Fela Kuti & Africa 70 with Ginger Baker 1970s 1971Teenage Head Flamin' Groovies 1970s 1971White Light Gene Clark 1970s 1971Shaft: Music from the Soundtrack Isaac Hayes 1970s 1971John Prine John Prine 1970s 1971Songs of Love and Hate Leonard Cohen 1970s 1971Manassas Manassas 1970s 1971Every Picture Tells a Story Rod Stewart 1970s 1971Let's Stay Together Al Green 1972Transa Caetano Veloso 1972American Gothic David Ackles 1972Made in Japan Deep Purple 1972Eagles Eagles 1972Pictures at an Exhibition Emerson, Lake, & Palmer 1972Home Is Where the Music Is Hugh Masekela 1972Will the Circle be Unbroken Nitty Gritty Dirt Band 1972Sail Away Randy Newman 1972Slayed? Slade 1972The Slider T. Rex 1972All Directions The Temptations 1972Greetings From LA Tim Buckley 1972Something/Anything? Todd Rundgren 1972The World Is a Ghetto WAR 1972Chrono Trigger Original Sound Version Yasunori Mitsuda (1972) 1972Space Ritual Hawkwind 19733 + 3 Isley Brothers 1973Solid Air John Martyn 1973Countdown to Ecstasy Steely Dan 1973Bongo Rock The Incredible Bongo Band 1973Next The Sensational Alex Harvey Band 1973A Wizard, A True Star Todd Rundgren 1973American Graffiti Soundtrack Various Artists 1973Honky Tonk HeroesWaylon Jennings 1973Tres Hombres ZZ Top 1973Sheet Music 10cc 1974Bad Company Bad Company 1974461 Ocean Boulevard Eric Clapton 1974No Other Gene Clark 1974The Grand Tour George Jones 1974Winter in America Gil Scott-Heron 1974Grievous Angel Gram Parsons 1974Court and Spark Joni Mitchell 1974Autobahn Kraftwerk 1974Paul Simon in Concert: Live Rhymin' Paul Simon 1974Good Old Boys Randy Newman 1974I Want to See the Bright Lights Richard & Linda Thompson 1974Country Life Roxy Music 1974Inspiration Information Shuggie Otis 1974Kimono My House Sparks 1974Pretzel Logic Steely Dan 1974Fulfillingness' First Finale Stevie Wonder1974Phaedra Tangerine Dream 1974It's Too Late to Stop Now Van Morrison 1974Marcus Garvey Burning Spear 1975There's No Place Like America Today Curtis Mayfield 1975Young Americans David Bowie 1975Born to Be With You Dion 1975That's the Way of the World Earth, Wind & Fire 1975Pieces of the Sky Emmylou Harris 1975The Hissing of Summer Lawns Joni Mitchell 1975The Köln Concert Keith Jarrett 1975Go Girl Crazy! The Dictators 1975Nighthawks at the Diner Tom Waits 1975Godbluff Van der Graaf Generator (1975) 1975Red Headed Stranger Willie Nelson 1975Joan Armtrading Joan Armtrading 1976Hejira Joni Mitchell 1976Music From the Penguin Café Penguin Cafe Orchestra 1976Frampton Comes Alive! Peter Frampton 1976Legalize It Peter Tosh 1976Pacific Ocean Blue Dennis Wilson 1977New Boots and Panties!! Ian Dury 1977One World John Martyn 1977Hard Again Muddy Waters 1977Peter Gabriel Peter Gabriel 1977Rattus Norvegicus The Stranglers 1977Heavy Weather Weather Report 1977Babylon By Bus Bob Marley And The Wailers 1978C'est Chic Chic 1978Honky Tonk Masquerade Joe Ely 1978Real Life Magazine 1978Here, My DearMarvin Gaye 1978Dub Housing Pere Ubu 1978Public Image Limited Public Image Limited 1978Shalimar Rahul Dev Burman 1978The Scream Siouxsie & The Banshees 1978Crossing the Red Sea With The Adverts The Adverts 1978The Only Ones The Only Ones 1978Duck Stab/Buster & Glen The Residents 1978Eternally Yours The Saints 1978Live and Dangerous Thin Lizzy 1978D.o.A: The Third and Final Report of Throbbing Gristle Throbbing Gristle 1978Siembra Willie Colón & Rubén Blades 1978Germ-Free Adolescents X-Ray Spex 1978Risqué Chic 1979Armed Forces Elvis Costello 1979GI Germs 1979Movies Holger Czukay 1979Broken English Marianne Faithfull 1979Metal Box Public Image Limited 1979We Are Family Sister Sledge 1979Street LifeThe Crusaders1979Machine Gun Etiquette The Damned 1979Live at the Witch Trials The Fall 1979Reggatta De Blank The Police 1979Undertones The Undertones1979
  • Quote
Check it out, man! It stands far apart from her previous four albums, for sure.
_________________
Can you play free, or in three, or agree to try something new?
  • Quote
Going through the pages, loving to see so many of my personal underrated picks in the thread.

I'll throw myself in the game, but maybe only for a sec.



Aight, so to RoundTheBend— Close to You by The Carpenters.

And I'll toss these down for myself:

From Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by Tap

Keith Rowe - The Room Extended
Olivia Block - Heave To
Wobbly - Wild Why
Hrvatski - Oiseaux 96-98
Micachu - Never
Oskar Sala - Electronic Virtuosity
Terry Riley - Persian Surgery Dervishes
AMM - The Crypt
Luc Ferrari - Hétérozygote / J'ai Été Coupé
Oren Ambarchi - Hubris
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
1.

Close To You by Carpenters

Dammit. This brought up painful childhood memories... hhahaha. My mom loved this stuff and I hated it. (not your fault Hayden, I'm the one who put it on my list)

Musically it really isn't that bad now that I hear it with "mature" ears (minus the fact that it's the whitest music ever made), and her voice is indeed fantastic. Reminds me sometimes what I do like about Art Garfunkel... BUT I just couldn't bring myself to overcome my childhood biases. I'd rather eat a glass sandwich for some reason. But for the sake of science I will continue listening to this. (three tracks in). Her death is tragic. The string arrangments remind me a bit of the second half of Yellow Submarine (which I also have strong distaste for as much as I like the other arrangements by Mr. Martin).

2. Welcome to the game Hayden! Terry Riley - Persian Surgery Dervishes shall be the lucky album to start you off (only album I've heard).

3. Robert Dimery's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (587/1001)
Ogden's Nut Gone Flake Small Face 1960s 1968 (needs rating)
Traffic Traffic 1960s 1968
Basket of Light Pentangle 1960s 1969
Mott the Hoople Mott the Hoople 1960s 1969
Ananda Shankar Ananda Shankar 1970s 1970
Gasoline Alley Rod Stewart 1970s 1970
Stephen Stills Stephen Stills 1970s 1970
The Madcap Laughs Syd Barrett 1970s 1970 (don't get too excited for me, not a fan of the Syd Barrett days with Pink Floyd)
Absolutely Live The Doors 1970s 1970 (I've watched the Hollywood Bowl performance, but don't remember hearing this)
John Barleycorn Must Die Traffic 1970s 1970
Trafalgar Bee Gees 1970s 1971If I Could Only Remember My Name David Crosby 1970s 1971Coat of Many Colors Dolly Parton 1970s 1971Madman Across the Water Elton John 1970s 1971Tarkus Emerson, Lake, & Palmer 1970s 1971A Nod's As Good As a Wink... to a Blind Horse Faces 1970s 1971Live! Fela Kuti & Africa 70 with Ginger Baker 1970s 1971Teenage Head Flamin' Groovies 1970s 1971White Light Gene Clark 1970s 1971Shaft: Music from the Soundtrack Isaac Hayes 1970s 1971John Prine John Prine 1970s 1971Songs of Love and Hate Leonard Cohen 1970s 1971Manassas Manassas 1970s 1971Every Picture Tells a Story Rod Stewart 1970s 1971Let's Stay Together Al Green 1972Transa Caetano Veloso 1972American Gothic David Ackles 1972Made in Japan Deep Purple 1972Eagles Eagles 1972Pictures at an Exhibition Emerson, Lake, & Palmer 1972Home Is Where the Music Is Hugh Masekela 1972Will the Circle be Unbroken Nitty Gritty Dirt Band 1972Sail Away Randy Newman 1972Slayed? Slade 1972The Slider T. Rex 1972All Directions The Temptations 1972Greetings From LA Tim Buckley 1972Something/Anything? Todd Rundgren 1972The World Is a Ghetto WAR 1972Chrono Trigger Original Sound Version Yasunori Mitsuda (1972) 1972Space Ritual Hawkwind 19733 + 3 Isley Brothers 1973Solid Air John Martyn 1973Countdown to Ecstasy Steely Dan 1973Bongo Rock The Incredible Bongo Band 1973Next The Sensational Alex Harvey Band 1973A Wizard, A True Star Todd Rundgren 1973American Graffiti Soundtrack Various Artists 1973Honky Tonk HeroesWaylon Jennings 1973Tres Hombres ZZ Top 1973Sheet Music 10cc 1974Bad Company Bad Company 1974461 Ocean Boulevard Eric Clapton 1974No Other Gene Clark 1974The Grand Tour George Jones 1974Winter in America Gil Scott-Heron 1974Grievous Angel Gram Parsons 1974Court and Spark Joni Mitchell 1974Autobahn Kraftwerk 1974Paul Simon in Concert: Live Rhymin' Paul Simon 1974Good Old Boys Randy Newman 1974I Want to See the Bright Lights Richard & Linda Thompson 1974Country Life Roxy Music 1974Inspiration Information Shuggie Otis 1974Kimono My House Sparks 1974Pretzel Logic Steely Dan 1974Fulfillingness' First Finale Stevie Wonder1974Phaedra Tangerine Dream 1974It's Too Late to Stop Now Van Morrison 1974Marcus Garvey Burning Spear 1975There's No Place Like America Today Curtis Mayfield 1975Young Americans David Bowie 1975Born to Be With You Dion 1975That's the Way of the World Earth, Wind & Fire 1975Pieces of the Sky Emmylou Harris 1975The Hissing of Summer Lawns Joni Mitchell 1975The Köln Concert Keith Jarrett 1975Go Girl Crazy! The Dictators 1975Nighthawks at the Diner Tom Waits 1975Godbluff Van der Graaf Generator (1975) 1975Red Headed Stranger Willie Nelson 1975Joan Armtrading Joan Armtrading 1976Hejira Joni Mitchell 1976Music From the Penguin Café Penguin Cafe Orchestra 1976Frampton Comes Alive! Peter Frampton 1976Legalize It Peter Tosh 1976Pacific Ocean Blue Dennis Wilson 1977New Boots and Panties!! Ian Dury 1977One World John Martyn 1977Hard Again Muddy Waters 1977Peter Gabriel Peter Gabriel 1977Rattus Norvegicus The Stranglers 1977Heavy Weather Weather Report 1977Babylon By Bus Bob Marley And The Wailers 1978C'est Chic Chic 1978Honky Tonk Masquerade Joe Ely 1978Real Life Magazine 1978Here, My DearMarvin Gaye 1978Dub Housing Pere Ubu 1978Public Image Limited Public Image Limited 1978Shalimar Rahul Dev Burman 1978The Scream Siouxsie & The Banshees 1978Crossing the Red Sea With The Adverts The Adverts 1978The Only Ones The Only Ones 1978Duck Stab/Buster & Glen The Residents 1978Eternally Yours The Saints 1978Live and Dangerous Thin Lizzy 1978D.o.A: The Third and Final Report of Throbbing Gristle Throbbing Gristle 1978Siembra Willie Colón & Rubén Blades 1978Germ-Free Adolescents X-Ray Spex 1978Risqué Chic 1979Armed Forces Elvis Costello 1979GI Germs 1979Movies Holger Czukay 1979Broken English Marianne Faithfull 1979Metal Box Public Image Limited 1979We Are Family Sister Sledge 1979Street LifeThe Crusaders1979Machine Gun Etiquette The Damned 1979Live at the Witch Trials The Fall 1979Reggatta De Blank The Police 1979Undertones The Undertones1979
  • Quote

Unlawful Noise by Haazz & Company

As much as I'd like to credit Hayden with the last two albums I've listened to, it's purely coincidental that they both came from his great custom charts. 😁 Although, if I can find something and cross-reference it with one our users, then it makes me feel like I made a good decision in saving the album. This one, for example, I didn't even remember putting on my list of things to listen to, so I don't know how I got around to adding it to my queue. I'm sure it had to do something with having Peter Brotzmann involved, because if I'm going to subject myself to free jazz, then I might as well go for some of the best. And, I have to say, that this was better than most that I've heard. I know I said that last time I listened to a free jazz record (so maybe I'm beginning to soften) but I think it had more to do with the instrument selection. Clarinets and Bagpipes plus Brotzmann's saxophone, make for a more dynamic sound palette than what is on some other free jazz albums. The album had enough variety over it's manic jams to make it feel like fresh ideas were still coming up even by the end of the album's runtime, which is why I tire with these albums so frequently in the first place. Long story short, it's pretty damn good.

Seth, it'll probably make you queasy, but listen to that Crazy Diamond, Syd Barrett.

Cypher 7- Dead Drop
Justin Berkovi- After the Night
Benjamin Lew- Nebka
Graham Lambkin ‎- Amateur Doubles
William Eaton- Music By William Eaton
Dance Dance Revolution 1st Mix No
Alan Watts- This Is It
Herbst9 - Buried Under Time And Sand
Bob Bell-Necropolis
猫 シ Corp. : Palm Mall
  • Quote
1.


Below The Heavens by Blu & Exile

Another album that's been on my to-do list for ages. Exile's beats are strong, albeit very 2007. The more soulful ones are the best. Blu kills it on most tracks. Both parts of the title track are highlights, but this is all at least good. Apparently Miguel made his first ever appearance on an album here. 4/5.

~~~~~

2. Lol I have to know what Dance Dance Revolution is.

~~~~~

3. Because it's almost March and I don't when I'll get to this pick, here are albums by women from the RYM top r&b albums:

100. The Velvet Rope - Janet Jackson
159. Aaliyah - Aaliyah
164. Lovers Live - Sade
168. Promise - Sade
181. First Take - Roberta Flack
188. Nasty Gal - Betty Davis
193. Live In Paris: Olympia 1971 - Ike & Tina Turner
199. I'm Just A Prisoner - Candi Staton
255. Soul Fever - Marie Queenie Lyons
259. We Are Family - Sister Sledge
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
RoundTheBend wrote:

2. Welcome to the game Hayden! Terry Riley - Persian Surgery Dervishes shall be the lucky album to start you off (only album I've heard).



On it 😁 ... didn't realize it was nearly an hour and a half, but yeah... I'm on it 🤣 About twenty minutes in deep as we speak.

Chief wrote:
Unlawful Noise by Haazz & Company

And, I have to say, that this was better than most that I've heard. I know I said that last time I listened to a free jazz record (so maybe I'm beginning to soften) but I think it had more to do with the instrument selection.


That's a solid record. Really more of a super group than anything. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's the only thing Dyani and Brotzmann recorded together. Also not sure how many free jazz (or just jazz) albums have bagpipes taking over the saxophone, so it's always stood out with some different bits. Not for everyone, but definitely a gem. Has the innovation of a late 80s or early 90s record.

The Brain Sound record is truly unique though. Not sure I'll ever hear another thing like it.

To Baystate: Aaliyah - Aaliyah

EDIT:


Persian Surgery Dervishes by Terry Riley

Okay. Probably my fifth of sixth Riley record. Not sure why he decided to go for a double record on this, but I could see the appeal when it was released. Could've done the LA concert as one record and the Paris as another, but oh well. Little bit of fun showing how you can play the same piece differently on different nights. His fingers must really be sore.

This is going to be a crazy unfair comment, but I think this would've been a more timeless album with a classical tone on the piano. Would've really upped the game I think. But yeah, overall, is what it is. Oddly, it echoes some compositional notes of the previously reviewed Shankar and Brotzmann. It's stylistically somewhere between the two.

Prefer his more focused compositions, but it's still a lovely piece (twice).
_________________
Doubles & Conch


Last edited by Hayden on 02/29/2020 16:20; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
Baystate, you never saw this guy at the arcade?


Link


Ok, so this isn't an actual album, but I think there was one released in Japan, but I just can't find it. Anyways, if you ever played these games (we even had a few pads for our gym class in elementary school) then you missed out on some of the best cheesy dance tunes ever made. This 1st mix is probably the best, but I want to check out the soundtracks to some of the other games to hear what else they've got going on.


Link


Hayden, make sure to give the person above you a rec, and update your list 😁 (Your pick will be Orem Ambarchi- Hubris.

Cypher 7- Dead Drop
Justin Berkovi- After the Night
Benjamin Lew- Nebka
Graham Lambkin ‎- Amateur Doubles
William Eaton- Music By William Eaton
Alan Watts- This Is It
Herbst9 - Buried Under Time And Sand
Bob Bell-Necropolis
猫 シ Corp. : Palm Mall
Gnidrolog- Lady Lake


BTW, this song is on there, so it's an A+.

Link
  • Quote

Misplaced Childhood by Marillion

Marillion is an outlier among the artists on my list because, before listening to this album, I knew nothing about them. I've never heard a Marillion song and didn't even know what genre they were. Turns out they're a prog band, which makes sense given that garish album art. Oh sorry, apparently they're neo-prog. What is neo-prog? Based on this album, it's progs with a lot of synths and poppier, more predictable song structures. As such, this album has more in common with 80's pop than it does with Yes, Genesis, or Rush. It also means it's worse than both 80's pop and Yes/Genesis/Rush.

My biggest gripe with this album is how self serious it is. Apparently it's a concept album about looking back on your childhood and feeling like you wasted it. Forget a mid-life crisis or feelings of wasting your early 20's - Marillion's lead singer has regrets about his elementary school days. Maybe looking back fondly on the innocence of youth could make for an interesting album, but this is about regretting you didn't talk to a cute girl on the playground or something. It's all very melodramatic about something I can't really work up the energy to care about. The vocals are incredibly sterile too so it doesn't even sound like the singer cares about it.

Musically this isn't terrible but it is a weird mix of styles. I've been getting into more 80's pop lately and this shares a lot of things in common with it, especially the synth sounds. But the songs aren't really all that catchy and feel torn between aiming for a pop audience and going for guitar heroics, which means these songs never hit the heights of the best songs from the era. Somehow it feels both like watered down prog and watered down pop. "Waterhole (Expresso Bongo)" has some cool percussion but that's about the only song that didn't stick to the normal formula. It makes me wonder if there are people who don't like general sound of 80's music but like this because it's prog, because if so I'll be very confused.

Take it from the top Chief.

BEA's top 1,000 albums:

524. Hysteria by Def Leppard
545. Tusk by Fleetwood Mac
571. Making Movies by Dire Straits
576. Pure Heroine by Lorde
595. The Slim Shady LP by Eminem
607. Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From a Memory by Dream Theater
622. A New World Record by Electric Light Orchestra
629. Wincing the Night Away by The Shins
644. The Nightfly by Donald Fagen
648. Live at the Apollo by James Brown
_________________
And it's hard to be a human being. And it's harder as anything else.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 205206207 ... 444445446  Next
Page 206 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.