Album of the day (#3607): Band Of Gypsys by Jimi Hendrix

Goto page Previous  123456789  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Sorry, the original joke of my post was that I have almost no opinion on this album. Maybe I should listen to it again? Itโ€™s weird that it seemed so omnipresent back when I first joined BEA, but this is the first time Iโ€™ve heard someone bring it up in 5-6 years.

(Iโ€™d hear it again right now, but I canโ€™t find my headphones , and the house is full of too many people for me to play it on speakers)
  • Quote
Skinny wrote:
People should not use the term, but I harbour no ill will towards Hendrix for doing so.


Yeah this. My point is that Hendrix definitely did not know, but it's not a term that suddenly became offensive overnight
  • Quote
Skinny wrote:
It's an offensive term. However, Hendrix almost certainly didn't realise its negative connotations. In an ideal world he wouldn't have named the album this, but language and attitudes are fluid. People should not use the term, but I harbour no ill will towards Hendrix for doing so.

Or he was just assuming that word, because it wasn't a negative word for him.
And this is a very good title, by the way.
  • Quote
  • Quote
Yann wrote:
Or he was just assuming that word, because it wasn't a negative word for him.
And this is a very good title, by the way.



_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
Applerill wrote:
The name has a slur in it :(


You just added this to BEA.


Fart Sounds - Over 2000 Farts by Fart Fest

You complain about a band name from 50 years ago being a slur because of 1 word...and then THIS.

Thanks for adding content to BEA that's really worthwhile.
|
_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
  • Quote
๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ

Don't think fart is a slur. But I'll have to check with my overlords at the frankfurt school and get back to you.
  • Quote
NewsFromHome wrote:
:lol: ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ

Don't think fart is a slur. But I'll have to check with my overlords at the frankfurt school and get back to you.


Not saying that is is. But if one is triggered by the word "gypsy", but an album of 2000 fart noises seems appropriate for a website of the best ever albums frequented by people who take the art of the album seriously, then there might be a problem there...
_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
  • Quote
I don't disagree that it's ridiculous but I also don't think there's that much of a correlation. We've got little slips like that allover the sites. One of the greatest experimental Japanese bands Gerogerigegege has like two live albums that members have charted that's literally just the frontman wanking off. The world of music is inherently ridiculous. Anyway I'm just waiting to see how Charli justifies this album as a sound collage ๐Ÿคฃ
  • Quote
You know what I love about Fart Sounds? Farts are an amazing phenomenon that are simultaneously gas, solid, AND liquid, and therefore the sounds have an amazing sort of queerness to them. I like to think of it as like an EAI release, but one that is mastered loud and is comfy before bed.

(Also, it was once on the top 10K albums on RYM, no joke.)

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123456789  Next
Page 4 of 9


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: Release Day Eve Repo Music
[ Poll ] [Closed] Best Ever Guitarist: Jimi He... RockyRaccoon Tournaments
What do you like about Jimi Hendrix StefanR10 Music
[ Poll ] Was Jimi Hendrix a solo artist? RoundTheBend Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.