2023 End Of Year Lists PARTY!!! <Building 2023 Charts>

Goto page Previous  123 ... 567 ... 111213  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:


... and Screamer are awful. Some of the worst metal I've heard with one of the worst vocal fits I've heard in anything. skipskipskip.



Kingmaker by Screamer

Ha! Totally! It was rec'd by BangerTV but I think it was just a bit of nepotism. Tourmates or something like that. Anyways, pretty awful. Not sure I even made it though the entire record.

Gowi wrote:
January 8 - January 14
What was YOUR favorite(s) release(s) from the week of Jan 13th?!

That's a very good question.

Of my listened list of records from this week, I'd have to say it was a no contest type of week since it actually has a classic in its midst that I advise everyone check out.

I wrote a little about the albums I liked and disliked, but not every single one down the docket. To summarize my thoughts with a clear head:
  • Everyone who likes rap music should listen to Skyzoo's new record. It's somehow better than his previous works and this guy has been at it for over a decade now.
  • Odium is so far one of the strongest metal albums of the year. It's not often I run into blackened sludge and not the same old meandering post-rock masquerading as sludge. This is not to say post-metal overall is bad, I'm just largely tired of it being showcased even when it is inspired.
  • Oroku Saki is an MF Doom-inspired affair and makes great use of samples from the original TMNT cartoon alongside some of the best verses I've heard all year. Check it out.
  • As Rocky pointed out and my past impressions said, Mansion's Second Death is an interesting blend of ethereal wave and doom metal. Interesting story behind it, too.
  • Ruinthorne ends up channeling one of my favorite power metal bands of all time: Wuthering Heights. It's a folky progressive power metal record that is really palatable and for me personally a big grower.
  • Endless is Leiah's comeback after years out of the game. A old school emo group with some midwest trappings, they tap into some anthemic indie rock here to make something that's pretty solid.


Awesome! Will check these out! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Quote
Quote:
Ha! Totally! It was rec'd by BangerTV but I think it was just a bit of nepotism. Tourmates or something like that. Anyways, pretty awful. Not sure I even made it though the entire record

The thing is... the instrumentals are all pretty solid modern heavy metal. It's 100% that the vocalist can't sing the melodies and octaves he wrote for himself. If he adjusted the songs and music to his vocal limitations it'd be far more palatable.
  • Quote
Quote:

Today is mostly Yo La Tengo Day for me though!!! ๐Ÿฅณ

dihansse wrote:


And this Friday three releases to which I'm really looking forward and all three bands will be playing in Belgium later on so difficult choice:

This Stupid World by Yo La Tengo: the first three released tracks give good hopes that they are returning to form after some lesser albums. I've seem them live a few times but I definitely would like to see them again.



This Stupid World by Yo La Tengo

The artwork is just perfect and totally harkens me back to And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out. Anyone get a listen in yet?!


First Listen Notes: Um. For the first time, a Yo La Tengo release feels like a rehash of their earlier glories from the 90s. And of course, I guessing that's the point. Guessing from the cover art alone, they've purposefully gone back. BUT, aside from that blistering first track it feels like something's missing. It's getting rave reviews, so I'm probably wrong, but it just feels a bit stale to me. ๐Ÿค”

edit: Talk about messing up the fast forward and rewind buttons! This was supposed to posted FORWARD! ๐Ÿคก ๐Ÿคฃ


Last edited by Repo on 02/12/2023 15:13; edited 2 times in total
  • Quote
YLT is one of my favorite bands but I've yet to get to it.
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
YLT is one of my favorite bands but I've yet to get to it.


Me too. I think I'm going try to rank their LP discography over the next week. ๐Ÿค”
  • Quote
Repo wrote:
Me too. I think I'm going try to rank their LP discography over the next week. :-k

That's a long project. They release too much music.
  • Quote
RockyRaccoon wrote:
If you're looking for something to listen to from the week of 1/13, this was a pretty interesting, kinda creepy doom metal album about a bizarre Christian cult from Finland in the early-half of the 20th century


Second Death by Mansion


We really are our own worst enemies, aren't we?! Just awful how much harm we inflict on ourselves and others do to the misguided perceptions of "the will of god".

Super interesting concept album especially for those interested in the power of cults and religion and the abuse of this power that so often occurs in these settings.

Cool atmosphere and vocals too!
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
That's a long project. They release too much music.



Link


Total godhead cover! ๐Ÿ˜ข
>


Link


Very, very interesting how they were soooo American Underground in the beginning and were so clearly influenced by The Dream Syndicate at this point. This is my my favorite type of music so I have ZERO complaints about this.

Last edited by Repo on 02/12/2023 03:57; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
I just want to thank Repo for being the inspiration to get back into a "current music" mindspace. I listened to less than like 25 records in 2022, so it was a huge downyear for me with current music, so this little listening log and discussion thread has helped give me a sort of feedback loop I need to maintain attention and interest. I'm currently at around 50 records listened to from Jan-Feb 2023 so far and I'm hoping this thread will help me return to music listening form going forward.
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
I just want to thank Repo for being the inspiration to get back into a "current music" mindspace. I listened to less than like 25 records in 2022, so it was a huge downyear for me with current music, so this little listening log and discussion thread has helped give me a sort of feedback loop I need to maintain attention and interest. I'm currently at around 50 records listened to from Jan-Feb 2023 so far and I'm hoping this thread will help me return to music listening form going forward.


You're welcome, Gowi!!! ๐Ÿฅฐ

Gowi wrote:

[*]Odium is so far one of the strongest metal albums of the year. It's not often I run into blackened sludge and not the same old meandering post-rock masquerading as sludge. This is not to say post-metal overall is bad, I'm just largely tired of it being showcased even when it is inspired.


Going to try and listen to this today. Sounds right up my alley!

I forgot to include this...


Reue by Leipa

...in my Jan 13th listings. Easily one of my favorite metal releases of the year so far! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 567 ... 111213  Next
Page 6 of 13


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Year Change Notices baystateoftheart Music
Year end lists for best albums of 2011. newbands1 Music
Add more important year end lists LosWochos Suggestions
2017 End Of Year Lists (post them) rkm Music
2014 end of year lists 19loveless91 Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.