2023 Music

Goto page Previous  123 ... 91011 ... 161718  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Tha God Fahim is on quite the run right now

Dump Gawd


Notorious Dump Legends, Vol. 2 by Tha God Fahim & Mach-Hommy


Shot Clock King 4 by Tha God Fahim & Nicholas Craven


Dump Gawd Reloaded by Tha God Fahim


Luxury Art by Ru$h & Tha God Fahim


Berserko by Tha God Fahim X Oh No The Disrupt
_________________
Griselda, by Fashion Rebels
2020's Hip-Hop
2020's Country
  • Quote
Blur is back, apparently โ€”ย ICYMI there are stories out today (on Rolling Stone, Northern Transmissions, Stereogum, etc.) announcing a tour, a video for a song called "The Narcissist," and a new album, The Ballad of Darren. I don't know who Darren is, and in fact I've never met anyone named "Darren" (though I was pretty good friends with a guy named "Darien" in high school, so that's probably close enough), but whoever he is, he probably won't get any royalties. The album is scheduled for July 21, and while one track isn't enough to determine how good the whole thing is, the track is at least okay โ€”ย though that's really the problem with narcissists, you can't tell them that anything they do is "just okay" or isn't super-great/wonderful, because if you do they'll lose their shit and hold a grudge against you for life. Anyway, the Dave Rowntree solo album from earlier this year was pretty good, so if they can at least match that quality-wise, they should be fine.

Meanwhile, the latest female-fronted dreamy-shoegazey new-band debut I'm grooving on at the moment is Wave States by a group called The Shallows, who might have been named after an I Like Trains album, but most likely that's just a coincidence.


Wave States by The Shallows
  • Quote
Two more things to add for the over-50 set:

Radiohead's Phil Selway recently filled in as the drummer for Tyneside's Lanterns On The Lake, on their new album Versions Of Us which comes out on June 2. The two tracks you can already hear on Bandcamp sound very nice. I'm not really a fan of this band, but since it's Radiohead-related I figured BEA members would want to have plenty of advance notice.

If you liked Veruca Salt back in the 90's, one of their two front-persons, Louise Post, is releasing a new album called Sleepwalker, also on June 2. Only one track, "Guilty," is out now โ€”ย not on Bandcamp, but it should be on all the big subscription streaming services, such as Apple Music for example. Based on that, and some demos that are on Bandcamp, I'd say Veruca Salt fans needn't worry that Ms. Post has lost much of her edge.

Meanwhile, the other Veruca Salt co-front-person, Nina Gordon (no relation to Kim Gordon) has made two solo albums โ€”ย but neither of them is listed here on BEA. (I myself had no idea they existed until just now.) Both Gordon and Post appeared on a recent Skating Polly EP, so they don't seem too averse to working together, but either way it looks like they'll have to bring in at least one or two Radiohead guys for their next solo LPs if they're hoping to get any significant traction around here. (Skating Polly's new album Chaos County Line comes out on June 23.)

I'd put on a Veruca Salt album right now, except that when you're in the over-50 set you have to worry about too much salt giving you high blood pressure and increasing your risk of a stroke.
  • Quote
MadhattanJack wrote:
Blur is back, apparently โ€”ย ICYMI there are stories out today (on Rolling Stone, Northern Transmissions, Stereogum, etc.) announcing a tour, a video for a song called "The Narcissist," and a new album, The Ballad of Darren. I don't know who Darren is, and in fact I've never met anyone named "Darren" (though I was pretty good friends with a guy named "Darien" in high school, so that's probably close enough), but whoever he is, he probably won't get any royalties. The album is scheduled for July 21, and while one track isn't enough to determine how good the whole thing is, the track is at least okay โ€”ย though that's really the problem with narcissists, you can't tell them that anything they do is "just okay" or isn't super-great/wonderful, because if you do they'll lose their shit and hold a grudge against you for life.


Yep, a new Blur album is good news for super fans. I also checked out the new single and I'd also go with Okay as my response. Sounded quite a bit like Grandaddy circa The Software Slump. Not a terrible thing but not super exciting either. I'll certainly check out the album when it comes along though.
  • Quote

Reflections by Sufjan Stevens

what the hell? sufjan stevens wrote a ballet? for dueling pianos? top tier sufjan for me.
_________________
follow me on the bandcamp.
  • Quote
craola wrote:

Reflections by Sufjan Stevens

what the hell? sufjan stevens wrote a ballet? for dueling pianos? top tier sufjan for me.

Yeah this is awesome. Maybe it's because I've been playing too much Zelda, but right now I'm really digging this type of modern classical somewhat-atonal unaccompanied piano music
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote
If you're in for a special experience:

Wish You Were Here by Zimmerman
Zimmerman is the moniker of the bass player, Simon Casier, of Balthazar, a Belgian band I must admit don't particularly like. His brother Wannes died in 2018 at the age of 34 and this album is kind of an elegy to his brother.
The special thing about this album: it is one 46 minutes long track with a fairly simple but always evolving theme.
The first part is dominated by the steel drum but after that switches to many instruments like piano, violin, all kinds of horns, synthesizers (somethings droning) aso and near the end it becomes very symphonic. The name of the album is clear but it also refers to the fact that Wannes was a lover of Pink Floyd and taught his brother how to appreciate music.
The references that come to mind are of course Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield (because of the many instruments like on Tubular Bells), Gavin Bryars (Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet) and the many other artists who have made of deceased family member (Nick Cave) or were on the brink of dying themselves (David Bowie).
The album sounds very DIY and epic at the same time but is so incredibly moving that it can easily bring you to tears. And notwithstanding its length and the ever returning theme this isn't a boring album at all but you'll have to take the time to absorb.
In Belgium it's on Apple Music but you can also find it on Youtube.

Link
  • Quote
can someone hit me with some under-hyped hip-hop from this year? I'm way behind
_________________
A Variety of Artists
  • Quote
KitchenSink wrote:
can someone hit me with some under-hyped hip-hop from this year? I'm way behind


I don't have tonnes, but here's some solid Bandcamp findsโ€”


Evolution Of Existence: Love & Power by Brandon Isaac


Art School Dropout by Jamee Cornelia


Leather Blvd. by B. Cool-Aid


Yallah Beibe by MC Yallah


To What End by Oddisee


From Whence It Came by Yungmorpheus
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
ayy ty Hayden. That B. Cool-Aid album's been on my radar for awhile so I'll probably move that up the listening queue first, and the others have completely passed me by so am excited to hear those as well ๐Ÿ˜„
_________________
A Variety of Artists

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 91011 ... 161718  Next
Page 10 of 18


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Music Diaries SuedeSwede Music Diaries
2023 End Of Year Lists PARTY!!! <... Repo Music Diaries
2023 Music You're Looking Forward To LTSings Music
Best Song Tournament: Quick 2023 cestuneblague Tournaments
[ Poll ] 2023 BST: Charles Wesley Godwin v Jos... cestuneblague Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.