Album of the day (#5567): Strange Mercy by St. Vincent

View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
  • ๐Ÿ‘ Romanelli
Today's album of the day

Strange Mercy by St. Vincent (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2011.
Country:
St. Vincent discography rank: 2 (out of 9 listed on BEA)
2011 rank: 11
2010s rank: 100
Overall rank: 681
Average rating: 79/100 (from 555 votes).



Tracks:
1. Chloe In The Afternoon
2. Cruel
3. Cheerleader
4. Surgeon
5. Northern Lights
6. Strange Mercy
7. Neutered Fruit
8. Champagne Year
9. Dilettante
10. Hysterical Strength
11. Year Of The Tiger

indicates a top-rated track.

Top voted comments:

"I was playing this at work and one of the customers I usually banter with said this was like the craziest orgasm he ever heard. I think it was a compliment"
- User not found
________________________________________________________

"Annie embraces the chaos, and it's a gorgeous hot mess. Dilletante is a paranoid instant classic, Northern Lights is a marvel of battling guitars and Champagne Year is a hushed, pure beaut... just a fantastic album"
- User not found
________________________________________________________

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
_________________
Bluesky ยท Facebook ยท Spotify ยท X
  • Quote
If this isn't my favorite St. Vincent album, this is probably her definitive album.

Track picks
2. Cruel
3. Cheerleader
8. Champagne Year
11. Year Of The Tiger
_________________
Inversion Verses
https://thesplitinfinitives1.bandcamp.com/album/inversion-verses
  • Quote
I think this was the last album that (fudge I can't really say this without sounding corny) I could actually feel immersed in, even if it's true it was going for a slightly wider appeal than her very art-school-ish first couple of albums. Her other albums are often extremely technically impressive on the composition front and full of very well-written songs overall, but I donno there's this feeling that she's built up such a self-imposing messianic persona that has created a thick glass ceiling of sorts between her and even her own music... as well as the listener. TLDR last album of hers I've actually enjoyed listening and returning to, everything else felt like a very textured but ultimately ephermal hologram of sorts (jfc what am I talking about)
  • Quote
cestuneblague wrote:
I think this was the last album that (fudge I can't really say this without sounding corny) I could actually feel immersed in, even if it's true it was going for a slightly wider appeal than her very art-school-ish first couple of albums. Her other albums are often extremely technically impressive on the composition front and full of very well-written songs overall, but I donno there's this feeling that she's built up such a self-imposing messianic persona that has created a thick glass ceiling of sorts between her and even her own music... as well as the listener. TLDR last album of hers I've actually enjoyed listening and returning to, everything else felt like a very textured but ultimately ephermal hologram of sorts (jfc what am I talking about)


There's a performative element to her albums after this that kind of undermines what's wonderful about the first three. Even when she gets more personal, like on Daddy's Home, it doesn't quite hit. She feels a little high on her own supply (although, I do think she's slowly getting it back).
_________________
Inversion Verses
https://thesplitinfinitives1.bandcamp.com/album/inversion-verses

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: Release Day Eve Repo Music
More strange accounts Guest Suggestions
Strange resemblances Norman Bates Music
[ Poll ] BSAT Round #1: St. Vincent vs. Kendri... Guest Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.