Tagging (or genre tags)

Goto page Previous  12
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
RFNAPLES wrote:
Yup and it includes all the tags used by harkan:

    House


Really? House is rock music?

Not this House



This House...


  • Quote
Yes House is a type of Rock. See also Allmusic which considers it a type of Rock/Pop.
_________________
Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by RFNAPLES
Bubbling Under The Top 100 Greatest Music Albums, Part 1 by RFNAPLES
  • Quote
RFNAPLES wrote:
Yes House is a type of Rock. See also Allmusic which considers it a type of Rock/Pop.


Yes but you don't have to think it is part of that, just because a website told you so.

Anyway, House as a subgenre is actually under Electronic on Allmusic as well.
  • Quote
There are thousands of tags one can create and the terms will change their meaning and usefulness over time. What I did was break my collection into large groups. I really don't care if it is metal or house, itโ€™s Rock and not classical or country. This type of high-level initial filtering used by BEA will allow members to find all Rock or all Jazz etc. The problem with all the sub-genres is that they aren't clear now and will be less so tomorrow. People will bitch, just like you did over Allmusicโ€™s system (which I didnโ€™t consult to establish my tags) or any other scheme. Keep it simple.
_________________
Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by RFNAPLES
Bubbling Under The Top 100 Greatest Music Albums, Part 1 by RFNAPLES
  • Quote
RFNAPLES wrote:
The problem with all the sub-genres is that they aren't clear now and will be less so tomorrow. People will bitch, just like you did over Allmusicโ€™s system (which I didnโ€™t consult to establish my tags) or any other scheme.


Sorry if it seemed like bitching. Just find it weird.
  • Quote
Hayden wrote:
RFNAPLES wrote:

Rock includes rap, hip-hop


#-o


I agree with Hayden here. Hip-hop should be included as a separate genre.
  • Quote
these are the types of debate which make me think tags will work much better than genres. People can then assign things how they like, and the most popular tags will rise to the surface. Genres don't fit correctly in a lot of cases (especially on albums where there might be more than one style), and tags are far more descriptive and flexible.
  • Quote
albummaster wrote:
these are the types of debate which make me think tags will work much better than genres. People can then assign things how they like, and the most popular tags will rise to the surface. Genres don't fit correctly in a lot of cases (especially on albums where there might be more than one style), and tags are far more descriptive and flexible.


๐Ÿค” Ya got a point there.
  • Quote
albummaster wrote:
an_outlaw wrote:
If anything like them are put into the website, how will they work? Like genre tags or "tagging" albums. Who gets to decide what is what? Will it be a few or would it be every user?

I think it's going to be tagging instead of genres. The implementation details, I've not thought through in enough detail yet. I've got some thoughts but they're not clear enough. Once I've finished delivering the membership ladder, my thoughts will turn to how to do this, and the details will get decided.

an_outlaw wrote:
I do have some concerns for such a thing. Firstly, it reduces music into simple words which do not express all of which the album is about. Will words like "inspiring", "magical", "transcending", "poetry" be allowed? They would go a lot further describing a piece of music than "jazz", "rock", "indie", alternative".

I think this is the main reason why genres won't really work on a site like this, it won't be flexible enough and probably too many items would get tagged with the same things. I think a tag should be seen more as a descriptive label for something (although a tag could also be the name of a genre as well).

an_outlaw wrote:
...They wouldn't have listened to half the albums but will instead base their "genre tags" on their preconceived notions of the music. Quicker than we know it... they will be the highest tags.

This is an implementation detail. When it's time to add the feature, we'll discuss amongst us how this should work.

an_outlaw wrote:
In fact... people shouldn't be using genres at all. It leads to bad things. People describing music with diluted words and hindering what others listen to. I see little good with labeling genres. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Is there anything someone would like to say in defense for them?

yes, in their defence, I'd say genres/tags will make this site a lot more useful to a lot of people e.g. if you are wanting to find the best albums tagged 'acoustic' or whatever, you just filter a list of items having this tag. I've lost count of the number of times this has been asked for, so is definitely wanted/needed.


Thank you for taking the time to answer the questions ๐Ÿ˜„ I had been meaning to write this sooner than I did. I'm happy to see that flexibility will be involved with what tags are chosen

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12
Page 2 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Genre tags The Gollux Suggestions
Tagging/categories wooolf Suggestions
Tagging charts? Guest Suggestions
[ Poll ] Genre Extravaganza Poll: Which Genre ... Happymeal Music
What Classifies a Genre or Sub-Genre? Goodsir Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.