Rolling Stone named U2 as having the best album of the year.

Goto page 123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
I haven't listened to it I only heard about the itunes outrage. Does anybody think this album is worth anything or has Rolling Stone just completely lost touch?
_________________
Kiki wrote:
You're chart is sooooooooo american. It's like a diner in here.


Check out my new review/pop-culture site MAD DISTRACTION
  • Quote
Oh, look out you rock 'n' rollers ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Quote
samistake2ice wrote:
I haven't listened to it I only heard about the itunes outrage. Does anybody think this album is worth anything or has Rolling Stone just completely lost touch?


option B
_________________
fav artists NOW | ALL-TIME favs | i listen 2 more music than u so u don't have 2!
  • Quote
samistake2ice wrote:
I haven't listened to it I only heard about the itunes outrage. Does anybody think this album is worth anything or has Rolling Stone just completely lost touch?


Rolling Stone has been out of touch since back in the days when I was a teenager. Before there were pagers. ๐Ÿคฃ
  • Quote
They've gone down the route of self-parody.
_________________
  • Quote
samistake2ice wrote:
has Rolling Stone just completely lost touch?


You speak as if you're surprised. It's a music magazine. I don't trust those.

Wikipedia wrote:
Wenner stated in the first issue that the title of the magazine referred to the 1950 blues song, "Rollin' Stone", recorded by Muddy Waters, the rock group The Rolling Stones, and Bob Dylan's hit single "Like a Rolling Stone". Rolling Stone initially identified with and reported the hippie counterculture of the era.


Now, I get why you would name it that. But their top two songs are...

1. Like a Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan
2. Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones.

This is after 40 years. Their top songs list didn't even exist when they came out. It almost seems like favoritism because of a name. Names mean squat when it comes to a song. Sure, it could have a cool name. But it's a magazine, and the name shouldn't change the content. I'm not saying the songs are bad. They are fantastic, but I'll reiterate that a name should have no effect. I just feel that there's very little chance that there's no prejudice here. Also, I can't trust any magazine that pulls all of the following...

A: Puts Smells Like Teen Spirit at #9, over Purple Haze, Stairway, God Only Knows, Go Your Own Way, California Dreamin', and Paranoid Android. All while failing to show prog rock except for Pink Floyd, who only make it into 300's (which is under Rock freakin' Lobster). And Carry On Wayward Son and Dust in the Wind are completely neglected.
B: Includes a lot of compilations in their main chart while still neglecting the majority of prog. Prog. This is supposed to be a professional chart, and they show prejudice. There was no Genesis, King Crimson, or Yes. I'm actually surprised Jethro Tull got in.
C: Puts Lindsay Buckingham on the bottom of their top 100 guitarists list. But that's my opinion.
D: Gets mad at readers for saying Nevermind is overrated. This is no exaggeration. They had a survey some time back. I think it was last year.

All in all, Rolling Stone isn't that well organized IMO.
  • Quote
'Like a Rolling Stone' regularly tops best song lists in publications whose names have nothing to do with stones.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
JMan wrote:
All while failing to show prog rock except for Pink Floyd, who only make it into 300's (which is under Rock freakin' Lobster).

Rock Lobster is better than Pink Floyd's entire discography.
_________________


2023
2022
  • Quote
Patman360 wrote:
Rock Lobster is better than Pink Floyd's entire discography.


And this, obviously.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
U2's new album retains the basic framework of the group's classic sound, but it doesn't have nearly the same degree of emotional impact as something like The Joshua Tree, probably due to the combination of a conspicuously tidy sound and an unwillingness to integrate grittier layers across the course of the album. It's perfectly listenable if you need something to pass the time, but it doesn't have much value beyond that.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 123  Next
Page 1 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Year Change Notices baystateoftheart Music
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
[ Poll ] Rolling Stone Best Albums Of The 80's Hayden Music
Rolling Stone Top 500 Song List/ Give... Tha1ChiefRocka Music
Rolling Stone 500 is the older version ChromeAce Suggestions

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.