Educate me on Rap skits (or any skit really)

Goto page 123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Skits Dumb?
Yes:
38%
 38%  [5]
No:
61%
 61%  [8]
Total Votes : 13

  • Quote
So... as I go through each decade and have been listening to some solid rap albums, one thing that always drives me nuts are the immature skits.

Can someone help me understand these more or do you just skip them and they are just as dumb as I think they are?

Even my favorite hip-hop/rap album The Carnival is full of skits... some I actually like and some are just as dumb as other skits I find dumb.

There's another thread that is just "skits" that kinda died out, but I'm more interested in finding out what people think of them and maybe learn something about them (why are they prevalent on rap/hip-hop albums).

Like I just heard I'm Cool from Stankonia. It was kinda funny cause at first your like, why is this chick cold? The ending is pretty funny. But IDK... it sometimes adds something to the album and other times it's very dumb.

I then heard this skit and thought it was great, even if I find the album mediocre (from Ixnay on the Hombre):
https://open.spotify.com/track/1C9A8wGAqprPT96seFbOTC
  • Quote
I like skits and outtakes that give some personal insight, like a looking glassโ€” but yeah, for the most part, Iโ€™ve always had issues with skits (I usually skip them) just like interludes. I still laugh at this though:


Link
  • Quote
What do you think of skits that aren't on hip-hop records Seth? Something like what's on Ogdens Nut Gone Flake?
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
burst a nut to de la orggee whenevr it comes on
  • Quote
Skits on rap albums (in particular) are overdone, in my opinion. As is having the first track be called "Intro", and the use of "Interlude" tracks. Just make an album of your songs. Having skits and intros and interludes is a waste of my time, as they are usually pretty unnecessary. These things went cfrom being a rare treat to being overdone regularities. They're almost like power ballads on hair metal albums...enough already.

IMO, of course.
_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
  • Quote
Hayden wrote:
What do you think of skits that aren't on hip-hop records Seth? Something like what's on Ogdens Nut Gone Flake?


Are you talking about the readings it seems like at the beginning of some of the songs? Not as familiar with the album... do you have a specific example.

Rap or not... if the skit is indeed funny or insightful, I like it.

I like these two:

Possibly the reason why bubble wrap nation exists now?
https://open.spotify.com/track/1C9A8wGAqprPT96seFbOTC

About the glorification of violence (leads into We Trying To Stay Alive):
https://open.spotify.com/track/3DPZbgCRlnIPkPm3MtwuZ2

So I think they totally have their place.

80% of the time, regardless of the genre, it seems they are, as Romanelli put it, a waste of time.

Any Rap/Hip-Hop fans (I mean like that's their favorite on most frequent album spinning) have any commentary (sorry, don't know if any have posted who are, but from what I know, not really... could be wrong).
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
I like skits and outtakes that give some personal insight, like a looking glassโ€” but yeah, for the most part, Iโ€™ve always had issues with skits (I usually skip them) just like interludes. I still laugh at this though:


Link


I agree this one is alright.
  • Quote
This one is funny at least and not stupid. Some try to be funny are just stupid instead.

https://open.spotify.com/track/164al00XRSLWG6h4hc12bD
  • Quote
For the most part I find skits pretty unnecessary. Aquemeni and 3 Feet High And Rising are two albums that are padded out by skits that don't offer much to the albums. Sex skits are even worse, even if the interlude on Ready To Die is actually pretty funny. But after a few listens even funny skits lose their randomness and the humor isn't unexpected.

They can be good though - The College Dropout has some humorous skits even if by the time Jimmy hits the point has been driven way too far home. $20 Dollar Sack Pyramid off The Chronic is probably the funniest skit I've heard. Even with these high points though I'd be fine if I never heard another skit again.
_________________
And it's hard to be a human being. And it's harder as anything else.
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
Are you talking about the readings it seems like at the beginning of some of the songs? Not as familiar with the album... do you have a specific example.

80% of the time, regardless of the genre, it seems they are, as Romanelli put it, a waste of time.


Well, def go listen to that album. It's a classic. I think you'd dig it too. The 'skits' are more-or-less a story that happens over the second half of the album. What about something like the skits on Trout Mask Replica? Or the acclaimed 2012 Canadian classic 'Candles'.

So, just for kicks, what do you consider a bigger waste of your time on an album: a decent skit, or a bad song?

I'm all for skits. Hip-hop or not. Gives the album an extra dimension of personality. It's also just part of hip-hop... it's it. You get skits, interludes, comedy routines, stories, etc... It's a fantastic aspect of the genre.

You know what, go give this album a listen and see what you think of skits afterwards:


Tricks Of The Shade by The Goats

Apart from being a stellar album, the skits really gives a sense of atmosphere. It wouldn't be nearly as good without them.
_________________
Doubles & Conch

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 123  Next
Page 1 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Rap in 2013 Compared to Rap i the 90s Guest Music
Favorite Comedy Skits Happymeal Lounge
skits kidamnesiac Music
'Hard' albums that aren't really arialblue Music
Really good albums that are on 5 or l... Guest Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.