You could probably make a whole album just based on Shakespeare characters. In fact, I'm going to make a playlist with Shakespeare inspired songs. Will post it later.
Charlotte Sometimes - The Cure
Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush
White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits (sorry, a Shakespeare one, T1CR, BUT I LOVE THAT SONG)
Moby Dick - Led Zeppelin
Don Quixote - Nik Kershaw
Billy Budd - Morrissey
Hey Orpheus/Oh Eurydice - Arcade Fire
Adam Raised a Cain/Ghost of Tom Joad - Bruce Springsteen (the Bible's still literature, right?)
Miss Macbeth/I Thought I'd Write to Juliet/Romeo's Seance - Elvis Costello
King Kunta - Kendrick Lamar
Things Fall Apart - The Roots (not a character, but I'm going to stretch it)
On that note : 2 + 2 = 5 - Radiohead and Soma - The Strokes/Smashing Pumpkins both reference literature, but not characters.
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others mentions Antony and Cleopatra
Sheila Take a Bow refers to playwright Shelagh Delaney who wrote A Taste of Honey, which Morrissey is obsessed with.
Shakespeare's Sister as well - refers to Viriginia Woolf's essay A Room of One's Own, in which she imagines that Shakespeare had a sister as talented as he was, who couldn't get her plays performed or published because she was a woman. She ends up committing suicide. Given the lyrics of the song, it seems likely that's what it's referring to.
This is why doing Literature at uni is awesome!
Jimmy DreadOld skool like Happy ShopperModeratorProfile 555 Dub Street
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum