Most Challenging Albums to Listen to?

Goto page 1234  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
I'm adding this one to the list.


Link


I can't listen to this on my nice speakers, because I'm afraid they would be incinerated.

This was definitely described well by the Needle Drop, as a musical equivalent to masochism. I felt violated and disoriented afterward.
  • Quote

Speculative Solution by Hecker

there are times when I can love this but conditions have to be just right. https://youtu.be/fkAgEH09r34
  • Quote

Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band

Although it gets easier with each listen
  • Quote
Tap wrote:

Speculative Solution by Hecker

there are times when I can love this but conditions have to be just right. https://youtu.be/fkAgEH09r34


That sounds like it was made for the specific purpose of testing people's sonic limits. I've only listened to 3 minutes so far and I feel like I'm falling into a black hole.
  • Quote
Tap wrote:

Speculative Solution by Hecker

there are times when I can love this but conditions have to be just right. https://youtu.be/fkAgEH09r34


Oddly enough I actually really liked this. And I'm typically not someone who would. I especially liked the panning. Fun on earphones, but not something I could listen to loudly. But I may have just been in the right mood for it.
  • Quote
Is your name in reference to that agt contestant, chiefrocca?
  • Quote
As much as I know it is genius I have a hard time with most free jazz and stuff like this:


The Parable Of Arable Land by The Red Crayola

Captain Beefheart can be challenging to listen to.

Or as much as I have immense respect for Frank Zappa (I attended his Zappa Institute of Technology (ZIT... hahaha, you know he did that on purpose), I have yet to find a song or album of his I truly love. I find it cerebrally challenging.

Atonal music is hard to listen to.

Arnold Schoenberg: Pierrot Lunaire, Her...n-Jennings

Some pop music I can't take seriously is hard for me to listen to.
  • Quote
That Speculative Solution album was definitely different, Tap.

I could only listen for 2 minutes. Idk if it was tape loops or something but it was original alright.

To me it sounded like a robot walking along a path.

Definitely a hard listen but I will watch out for more rec's by you as they are certainly not dull man.


Last edited by CharlieBarley on 10/23/2017 23:51; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
As much as I know it is genius I have a hard time with most free jazz and stuff like this:


The Parable Of Arable Land by The Red Crayola

Captain Beefheart can be challenging to listen to.

Or as much as I have immense respect for Frank Zappa (I attended his Zappa Institute of Technology (ZIT... hahaha, you know he did that on purpose), I have yet to find a song or album of his I truly love. I find it cerebrally challenging.


I agree viz Capt. Beefheart, although I like Safe as Milk a lot, especially Abba Zabba. But it is not music I would put on to chill out to. I have to be in the right mood to listen to it. Same applies much more to Trout Mask Replica. I definitely wouldn't play it every day.

I have only heard one Frank Zappa album - Hot Rats. I heard it was one of his more accessible albums. It wasn't quite as crazy as I thought it would be. It was quite listenable. But I remember playing a bit of the Mothers' Only in it for the Money and I found that difficult to listen to.
  • Quote
I think a better, revised question would be "Most Challenging Albums that are also AMAZING?"

Otherwise, there are plenty of boring U2, Adele, Taylor Swift, etc, releases that could be misconstrued as "challenging music" just because they are so trivial and difficult to listen to all the way through.

So here is a top 10 of sorts, based on the above "revised question"...

Saxophone Improvisations, Series F - Anthony Braxton (1972)
Royal Trux - Twin Infinitives (1990)
Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band (1969)
Approximately - Guillermo Gregorio (1996)
Unit Structures - Cecil Taylor (1966)
Dream Theory in Malaya - Jon Hassell (1981)
Variations in Dream-time - Anthony Davis (1982)
Improvisie - Paul Bley (1971)
The Jazz Composer's Orchestra - Michael Mantler (1968) [aka, "The Jazz Composerโ€™s Orchestra - The Jazz Composer's Orchestra"]
Diamanda Galas - Diamanda Galas (1984)
_________________
Best Classical
Best Films
Best Paintings

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 1234  Next
Page 1 of 4


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Challenging= Awarding quincytejani Music
Why is most music we listen to from j... Defago Music
The BEA 1001 albums to listen to befo... Guest Music
List of albums to listen to... meezus Suggestions
New Rap Albums To Listen To? batmanisfunny Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.