Album of the day (#2515): Specials by The Specials

View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Today's album of the day

Specials by The Specials (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1979.
Country:
Overall rank: 644
Average rating: 78/100 (from 309 votes).



Tracks:
1. A Message To You Rudy
2. Do The Dog
3. It's Up To You
4. Nite Klub
5. Doesn't Make It Alright
6. Concrete Jungle
7. Too Hot
8. Monkey Man
9. (Dawning Of A) New Era
10. Blank Expression
11. Stupid Marriage
12. Too Much Too Young
13. Little Bitch
14. You're Wondering Now

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Quote
I like this album, but not nearly as much as I like More Specials. Or Ghost Town. Or about ten other ska albums from the same time. It's actually kind of a dull and same-y album musically. I never understood why it's so overrated.
  • Quote
bobbyb5 wrote:
I like this album, but not nearly as much as I like More Specials. Or Ghost Town. Or about ten other ska albums from the same time. It's actually kind of a dull and same-y album musically. I never understood why it's so overrated.


Its cultural significance is probably the reason so many hold it in high esteem: the birth of 2-Tone, the second wave of ska, paranoia amidst Thatcher coming to power, black and white youth merging a punk DIY ethos and gritty social comment against the music their parents used to listen to. You're right, though - I think it's aged really badly, doesn't have the energy of either punk or ska (Costello's production is naff if you ask me) and whilst the choice of covers (Rudy, Monkey Man) and influences (Stupid Marriage is a tribute to Prince Buster's 'Judge Dread') is first-rate it just doesn't hang together all that well, and is crying out for their debut single 'Gangsters' to be included. Still, a landmark record in British music and a fun listen nevertheless, despite the album cut of 'Too Much Too Young' being far too slow and 4 minutes too long. Still, it's the best thing to come out of Coventry apart from the M69.
_________________
'Reggae' & t'ing
Folk 'n Stuff
SHAMELESS RECORD DEALER PLUG
  • Quote
'Blank Expression' is one of the greatest pop songs ever recorded. The rest is good to great. Much preferred it as a kid, but still pretty powerful stuff at times. Not as great as Dexy's, though.

EDIT: Also, this album plays a clever trick of starting and ending with two genius songs.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
bobbyb5 wrote:
I like this album, but not nearly as much as I like More Specials. Or Ghost Town. Or about ten other ska albums from the same time. [...]


Hey! Can you name some of those ten? I love the '2-tone' ska genre, but only know a few (Madness, The Selecter, The Beat..).
  • Quote
I love the specials but this isn't as good as it should have been. I really love the next album which is very underrated. If you want a true representation of the band at this time check out this classic live record
Live At The Moonlight Club by The Specials

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: Release Day Eve Repo Music
[ Poll ] CLOSED: PPNW - R1: The Specials def. ... videoheadcleaner Tournaments
World album of the day (#66): The Alb... albummaster Music
Aus Album Of The Day #10: Geoffrey Gu... videoheadcleaner Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.