I did some 1950 digging earlier this year, and came up very close to empty handed. Despite its mysteries, it wasn't the most exciting year ๐คฃ I think I added about 10 of those 57.
My 1950 chart is 15 albums long, and I'd say 5 of them aren't really that good. Give this a spin though, it's good:
I should note that out of the 250 albums on RYM for the year, a fair percentage aren't actually from 1950. I spotted a few albums on that list from years as far away as 1955. It seems to be a go-to year if people don't know when a 50's record was released. Being said, I'd love to dig up some of their 160-250 range that I simply haven't been able to find.
EDIT: Cut Machito. After a bit more research, I think it's a 1951 release ๐ _________________ Doubles & Conch
Last edited by Hayden on 11/14/2018 21:40; edited 1 time in total
FischmanRockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMasterProfile Land of Enchantment
As far as I can tell, Columbia introduced the LP format in 1948, and their first order of business was to release collections of mostly classical music previously only available on 78s.
So, itโs hard to know what to attribute to the year 1950. The release date may bear no resemblance to the recording date. In those cases, Iโm left wondering if modern day anthologies better serve the era, rather than compilation LPs of the era.
Charlie Parker with Strings had only 6 tracks on it for its 1950 release, and then in the following years had 13, and now 20 something.
I like Billie Holiday, and thereโs a 1950 album called Billie Holiday Sings, but Iโm pretty sure all the tracks are from sides recorded in the 40โs. I have the Lady Day box set that includes all of her 30โs and 40โs sides.
Sometimes albums - especially in the sense we understand them as today - isn't the best form for earlier music.
Here's what wikipedia has to say about the year 1950 in music... perhaps you can get something out of this as well (like that discogs idea too):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_in_music
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
My 1950 chart has something supposedly released in 1950, but recorded in 1938 (Benny Goodman) and then this which also has conflicting info if it was released in 1950, but I'm going to wager it may have been re-released in 1955 and that's why there's a bit of confusion. Happy hunting.
Also not all "classical" music was dead in 1950, you still had prominent composers releasing new music. Shostakovich, Ives, Cage, Boulez, Prokofiev etc. Just saying that's a worthy avenue too, pending on how you are looking at music history (releases vs music itself)
Muddy Waters didn't release an album this year (I believe his first album release wasn't until 1958 or 59) but he did record and release one of his best songs in 1950, "Rollin" Stone", which the Rolling Stones named themselves after 12 years later. If you've never heard this song, check it out. Actually, pretty much ANY music by Muddy Waters is worth giving a listen.
That Les Paul record is wild. I have the utmost respect for Les Paul, for what he contributed to guitar and to music technology in general. In some respects it seems like that record comes from another planet, but at the same time it comes off as a little kitsch, which places it firmly in the 50โs. Itโs something youโve definitely got to hear once, but I donโt think Iโll be going back to it soon. I think Steve Vai is cut from the same cloth - highly inventive and skilled, but a little eccentric.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum