Album of the day (#3117): Donuts by J Dilla

View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Today's album of the day

Donuts by J Dilla (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2006.
Country:
Overall rank: 517
Average rating: 81/100 (from 352 votes).



Tracks:
1. Donuts (Outro)
2. Workinonit
3. Waves
4. Light My Fire
5. The New
6. Stop
7. People
8. The Diff'rence
9. Mash
10. Time: The Donut Of The Heart
11. Glazed
12. Airworks
13. Lightworks
14. Stepson Of The Clapper
15. The Twister (Huh, What)
16. One Eleven
17. Two Can Win
18. Don't Cry
19. Anti-American Graffiti
20. Geek Down
21. Thunder
22. Gobstopper
23. One For Ghost
24. Dilla Says Go
25. Walkinonit
26. The Factory
27. U-Love
28. Hi.
29. Bye.
30. Last Donut Of The Night
31. Donuts (Intro)

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Quote
GOAT Alert
  • Quote
I love this album. Is very original.
  • Quote
Dilla made some classic hip hop. Brilliant and original. But this album has always left me a little cold. I've tried many times and although I like it, I don't see anything approaching what some see and the praise it's garnered. I will try again sometime as I feel it may be one that just clicks eventually. It always feels to be like showcasing a bunch of good ideas he had that he unfortunately ran out of time to make into fully fledged tracks. Tell me another angle that I can look at on this one, because if there was ever a record that I feel I should appreciate more, then it's this one.
  • Quote
Graeme2 wrote:
Dilla made some classic hip hop. Brilliant and original. But this album has always left me a little cold. I've tried many times and although I like it, I don't see anything approaching what some see and the praise it's garnered. I will try again sometime as I feel it may be one that just clicks eventually. It always feels to be like showcasing a bunch of good ideas he had that he unfortunately ran out of time to make into fully fledged tracks. Tell me another angle that I can look at on this one, because if there was ever a record that I feel I should appreciate more, then it's this one.


I think it deliberately mirrors the slapdash, sketchbook nature of beat tapes, which were designed to showcase a producer's versatility whilst also acting as living, breathing adverts for a producer's work (in the literal sense) - beat tapes would be sent out to rappers in the hopes that a few would find a beat they liked which could later be fleshed out in a studio, at a cost, if they decided they wanted to use it, and subsequently spend money on it. (If you sent out a tape of complete beats, there'd be nothing stopping younger, less well-known rappers from getting their hands on them and then using them without consent or payment in order to bolster their fledgling career, so that aforementioned sketchbook approach was/is largely a practical one.) This is Dilla's love letter to beat tapes, replete with recurring motifs (the repeated siren/horn sound) that act in a similar way to producer tags, as another practicality to let people know whose beat it is, and therefore make any potential theft more conspicuous. I don't love the album as much as others do, but I think it's helpful to understand his intentions and the roots of its makeup.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
Skinny wrote:
I think it deliberately mirrors the slapdash, sketchbook nature of beat tapes, which were designed to showcase a producer's versatility whilst also acting as living, breathing adverts for a producer's work (in the literal sense) - beat tapes would be sent out to rappers in the hopes that a few would find a beat they liked which could later be fleshed out in a studio, at a cost, if they decided they wanted to use it, and subsequently spend money on it. (If you sent out a tape of complete beats, there'd be nothing stopping younger, less well-known rappers from getting their hands on them and then using them without consent or payment in order to bolster their fledgling career, so that aforementioned sketchbook approach was/is largely a practical one.) This is Dilla's love letter to beat tapes, replete with recurring motifs (the repeated siren/horn sound) that act in a similar way to producer tags, as another practicality to let people know whose beat it is, and therefore make any potential theft more conspicuous. I don't love the album as much as others do, but I think it's helpful to understand his intentions and the roots of its makeup.


Yeah that's basically what it is isn't it. I've been reading people's thoughts on it on RYM and I think I know reasons why I don't love it. It's a massive outpouring of ideas all coming at you at once. It's a bit of an overload. I struggle getting to grips with stuff like that, flying lotus being one. Might stick on now.
  • Quote
Incredible album. At least 400 spots too low in the chart.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: Release Day Eve Repo Music
ADP #7 Donuts by J Dilla Hayden Music
[ Poll ] CLOSED-BNMAT- Donuts def Yoshimi Batt... Saoirse Tournaments
It's Dilla Time Tha1ChiefRocka Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.