This might be a cheeky comment, but isn't it silly to ask which band (I have done this as well) is better than another, when we already have stats showing which bands are accepted as the best, and rated in order, so you can see who is accepted as being better?
I hope I am understanding the question correctly but maybe it is isn't silly at all because.......
-Popular consensus does not equal being "correct"?
-The factors that cause an album to gain popular acclaim (or be a person's personal favourite) are to at least a small extent related to things outside the music itself?
-Individuals with unique arguments/perspectives can be far more useful and interesting than a mass of people saying something?
-Internet aggregators like bea or rym are potentially not representative of the whole population, or of "expert" (if that is possible in music) opinion?
-People with different knowledge and experience have can have equally valid, possibly better thought out opinions, even if said opinions are in the minority? Which even if disagreeable help us understand and/or formulate out own opinions?
-Certain groups/musicians/styles have incredible appeal to certain niche groups?
-Sometimes very similar albums can have completely different levels of popularity/acclaim for no apparent logical reason?
-Because deep down we all think that our own opinion is right and everyone else is stupid and wrong no matter how many people disagree with us?
I think that covers most reasons off.
JasonconfusedIf We Make It We Can All Sit Back and LaughProfile California
Nothing is correct (subjectivity bla bla bla), thats why I put it in quotes ๐คฃ What I meant was just the general idea that popularity does not equal quality, and just because lots of people agree on something, does not mean that they are right.
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
Nothing is correct (subjectivity bla bla bla), thats why I put it in quotes ๐คฃ What I meant was just the general idea that popularity does not equal quality, and just because lots of people agree on something, does not mean that they are right.
I agree, but I don't think having a post where people vote which is best, I have now realized is a stupid idea. People have already cast their vote on the site.
Why one would think that the Rolling Stones are more influential than the Beatles, would be worthy of DISCUSSION, but not vote.
I came to this conclusion actually because I wanted to vote on one of those polls, and then realized, wait, haven't we already rated them? Why ask again?
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
I agree, but I don't think having a post where people vote which is best, I have now realized is a stupid idea. People have already cast their vote on the site.
Why one would think that the Rolling Stones are more influential than the Beatles, would be worthy of DISCUSSION, but not vote.
I came to this conclusion actually because I wanted to vote on one of those polls, and then realized, wait, haven't we already rated them? Why ask again?
Ah, I see what your asking more clearly now.
That is a really interesting question.
I guess the forum's opinions won't necessarily line up with the rest of the site.
Maybe its fun complaining about poll results when someone inevitably disagrees with them? ๐คฃ
JasonconfusedIf We Make It We Can All Sit Back and LaughProfile California
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum