Musical random chat

Goto page Previous  123 ... 181920 ... 982983984  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
lethalnezzle wrote:
Well then hold off on making a chart until you've heard a decent amount of albums and then put together something thorough, full of albums you like, and make sure that it is a chart you are satisfied with. Every album you put on a chart gains rank points, so putting albums that you dislike on them is actually skewing the rankings in favour of albums you don't even like.


I mostly use my charts to keep track of those I've heard and to occasionally go back to the ones I didn't like. With every album I hear that makes my top 100, there's less of a chance an album will be there that I don't like.
  • Quote
lethalnezzle wrote:
Well then hold off on making a chart until you've heard a decent amount of albums and then put together something thorough, full of albums you like, and make sure that it is a chart you are satisfied with. Every album you put on a chart gains rank points, so putting albums that you dislike on them is actually skewing the rankings in favour of albums you don't even like.

This.

I'd obviously recommend my 90's chart to you, but in particular I think you should try On Avery Island, I think it's rockier style might appeal more to you than aeroplane, which I see is already on your chart.
  • Quote
Actually, Aeroplane was a darn good album. Sure, it didn't give me any sort of emotional feelings, but the vibe of the album and the production value and the lyrics were very well put together. I'll try O Avery Island when I get back from my appointment.
  • Quote
Jman, I left a comment on your 90s chart. Check that out.

Otherwise I agree with Lethalnezzle, it's probably better that you wait until you like an album before putting it on a chart of the "best albums". As far as keeping track of which albums from each decade you've heard, I recommend making a file on your computer. Or writing it down. And then as you find more and more great albums you really love from the 90s, 80s, 60s etc, then make a chart for it. That way you ain't skewing the ratings on BEA in favor of albums you don't dig like Mr. Nezzle said.

Okay, that's all.
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
JMan wrote:
I mostly use my charts to keep track of those I've heard and to occasionally go back to the ones I didn't like. With every album I hear that makes my top 100, there's less of a chance an album will be there that I don't like.


Why don't you just write them down elsewhere? Like a spreadsheet? You could even put your ratings and notes next to each album. Then, once you've listened to a decent amount of stuff, you can put together a really good chart made up of albums that you enjoy. It's not as though you're going to take this advice though, so whatever.

Anyway, if you are trying to get into more '90s music in order to make a chart, I'd recommend the following (I've even put some hip-hop classics at the bottom, in case you feel like branching out):

The Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
(Both of those Flaming Lips albums have distinctly different sounds, so don't think that having heard one means that you "know" what The Flaming Lips sound like and subsequently decide that there is little point in listening to anything else by them. In fact, that goes for every band with multiple recommendations here.)
Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Pavement - Wowee Zowee
Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Weezer - Weezer (The Blue Album)
Weezer - Pinkerton
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Portishead - Dummy
Bjรถrk - Homogenic
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
Built To Spill - There's Nothing Wrong With Love
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Henry's Dream
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call
Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand
Melvins - Houdini
Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley
Beck - Odelay
Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
Air - Moon Safari
Sizzla - Black Woman & Child
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Pulp - His 'n' Hers
Super Furry Animals - Radiator
Super Furry Animals - Guerrilla
The Beta Band - The Three EPs
Blur - Parklife
P.J. Harvey - Dry
Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Tom Waits - Mule Variations
Erykah Badu - Baduizm
Prince - The Gold Experience
Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Nas - Illmatic
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die
The Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Dr. Dre - 2001
Fugees - The Score
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde
Outkast - ATLiens
Outkast - Aquemini
Beastie Boys - Ill Communication

Enjoy.
  • Quote
I never said I didn't like ITAOTS. I like it. Only the bottom four are albums I don't like. Though I'll retry UYI2.
  • Quote
Inspired by an_outlaw, I sort of made a... prototype criteria for grading charts. It's based on culture, eclecticism (in music styles/genres), and personality. Culture and eclecticism being objective, fixed traits because it can be measured, and personality being my subjective opinion (and also carries the least weight). I wrote down ratings for a bunch (70 charts). My average rating out of those was 48/100. These are the top 12 charts based on that:


10. Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by zonrod 75%
10. Top 25 Greatest Music Albums by asimov 75%
10. Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by 420BongRitsu69 75%
7. Top of the Progs I: The Classic Era by Robert Anton Wilson 80%
7. Top 40 Greatest Music Albums by pseudofox 80%
7. Kao Da Je Bilo Nekad: Best albums of Ex-Yugoslavia by 19loveless91 80%
4. Top 33 Greatest Music Albums by Woebot 85%
4. Quebec Love (French Canadian Music) by Robert Anton Wilson 85%
4. Top 50 Greatest Music Albums by AbstruseGooseREDUX 85%
3. Pardon My French by Norman Bates 90%
2. Top 40 Greatest Music Albums by mnoisecore 95%
1. Top 40 Greatest Music Albums by backyardgypsy 100%


Perhaps it's a bit flawed. I think that MAYBE sometime in the future I will cut the 100/100-rating-only crap I had been doing since joining and actually start giving people honest ratings based on something like this. I'm afraid of the potential backlash.
  • Quote
The Poe wrote:
Inspired by an_outlaw, I sort of made a... prototype criteria for grading charts. It's based on culture, eclecticism (in music styles/genres), and personality. Culture and eclecticism being objective, fixed traits because it can be measured, and personality being my subjective opinion (and also carries the least weight). I wrote down ratings for a bunch (70 charts). My average rating out of those was 48/100. These are the top 12 charts based on that:


10. Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by zonrod 75%
10. Top 25 Greatest Music Albums by asimov 75%
10. Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by 420BongRitsu69 75%
7. Top of the Progs I: The Classic Era by Robert Anton Wilson 80%
7. Top 40 Greatest Music Albums by pseudofox 80%
7. Kao Da Je Bilo Nekad: Best albums of Ex-Yugoslavia by 19loveless91 80%
4. Top 33 Greatest Music Albums by Woebot 85%
4. Quebec Love (French Canadian Music) by Robert Anton Wilson 85%
4. Top 50 Greatest Music Albums by AbstruseGooseREDUX 85%
3. Pardon My French by Norman Bates 90%
2. Top 40 Greatest Music Albums by mnoisecore 95%
1. Top 40 Greatest Music Albums by backyardgypsy 100%


Perhaps it's a bit flawed. I think that MAYBE sometime in the future I will cut the 100/100-rating-only crap and give people honest ratings based on something like this.


That's not honest, it's an imbecilic rating criteria. Eclectic? That's one of those silly non-words like "derivative" and "clichรฉ" that gets thrown around with music. And Culture...? I dread to think what you are getting at there.

You're attitude to this whole music thing turns me off. I fear what I have inspired you to do. There is my different and then there is your different.

[/i]
  • Quote
Yeah I dont really like that rating criteria, if you like a chart, give it a good rating. I you don't, give it a bad rating. You shouldn't have to weigh in a million factors to make a decision that should come
rather easily.
  • Quote
Now now, lets not be mean.
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 181920 ... 982983984  Next
Page 19 of 984


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky the Random Chat and the "... Guest Suggestions
Random chat HigherThanTheSun Lounge
Let's just have a random video game chat Guest Lounge
Reviews or Chat? Jabapac Suggestions
General Film Chat mickilennial Movies & TV

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.