I like to leave out jazz/soul albums in my chart - I've listened to many jazz records and soul records, but they just get put to bottom of charts, not because I don't like them, but because they're out of place and I feel as if they're not supposed to be there. It's like I have nothing to judge it against because I like it in a different way. It's incongruent - out of place, doesn't fit.
It's like sticking JMan in the middle of a bunch of intellectuals. _________________
I like to leave out jazz/soul albums in my chart - I've listened to many jazz records and soul records, but they just get put to bottom of charts, not because I don't like them, but because they're out of place and I feel as if they're not supposed to be there. It's like I have nothing to judge it against because I like it in a different way. It's incongruent - out of place, doesn't fit.
It's like sticking JMan in the middle of a bunch of intellectuals.
I understand if someone finds it difficult to compare jazz albums to pop albums, but soul? Really? Why?
What making a chart, what I compare isn't the music itself but my enjoyment of it. So no, it's not easier for me to "compare" Sgt. Pepper's to Village Green than, say, to GKMC.
what I compare isn't the music itself but my enjoyment of it
This. I feel like this is the way music should be compared even within the same genre. Music is entertainment and is even sometimes beyond just that. I compare music based on how easily I can slip away and envision a place separate from current reality. I.e. the past: associating positive or negative experiences to an album, I have found, also enhances my enjoyment of any given album because it can allow me to relive some of those emotions whenever I like.
BorkExecutive HillbillyProfile Vinson Mountain, GA
Not hard at all. Regardless of genre the quality of any given album is just a measure of how much you enjoy listening to it, just like your preference for apples or oranges is a measure of how much you enjoy eating them (or using them for other stuff if that is your inclination but then bananas tend to win). I enjoy both apples and oranges (and bananas), but apples slightly more.
Remember genres are now tools of the pretentious and the music reviewers. They serve no purpose other than superficial differences. There is nothing to compare. Regard them as dangerous. ๐คฃ
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum