Promoting your favorite albums

Goto page Previous  123, 4 ... 101112  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote


A Carolina Jubilee - The Avett Brothers

This is The Avett Brothers' first proper studio album from about ten years ago. You can really hear their bluegrass roots in it.



Link




Link




Link

_________________
Progressive Rock

Early Psychedelic Rock

Live Albums
  • Quote
Cymro2011 wrote:
C'mon guys.


This. I can go to people's charts to get lists. I want to hear about why it's so great, even if it's vague or personal.
  • Quote
I've been trying to find Love and Glitter, Hot Days and Music by Helen Love for ages to no avail. Sounds so good.

I'll be trying Tryptych by Demdike Stare very soon, I have to find it too. ๐Ÿ˜œ
  • Quote
I'm not going to go through my whole chart but mostly I'll just promote

Songs by Regina Spektor

Theatrical and surreal vignettes ranging from dark to celebratory made up of piano and one of the most expressive, unrestrained voices I know of (and silly noises in abundance). Prisoners, Ne Me Quitte Pas (one of my favourite songs), Consequence of Sound (she raps, seriously, though I guess it is sort of singsong rapping), and Oedipus are highlights. Also, I think all of these songs were done in one take.

Here's some of the lyrics:

"My rhyme ain't good just yet
My brain and tongue just met
and they ain't friends so far
My words don't travel far
They tangle in my hair
and tend to go nowhere
They grow right back inside
right past my brain and eyes
into my stomach juice
where they don't serve much use
No healthy calories
nutrition values
and I absorb back in
the words right through my skin
They sit there festering inside my bowels"

Like, that is just too awesome.

Here's some more:

"Down in Bronxy Bronx
The kids go sledding down snow-covered slopes
And frozen noses, frozen toes
The frozen city starts to glow
And yes, they know that it will pass
And, yes, they know New York will thaw
But if you are a friend of any sort
Then play along and catch a cold"

"If Hans Christian Andersen could've had his way with me
Then none of this shit would have ever gone down
In my cell I'm tattooing myself with
Mermaids and swallows and though I do swallow
My mama thinks I'm grown but I'm really just little
And someday I will remember"

"Looking out the window
At another window
I see toenails changing colors
Like the leaves of Fall"

Incredibly stream of consciousness album, I think. Feels like it came right off of the top of her head and I love every minute. Needs more appreciation for sure.

Like, this is way too long, just listen to it already. ๐Ÿ˜œ
  • Quote
Mancsoulsister wrote:
Albums on my current chart (hidden from view at the moment cause i'm tinkering) with a rank score of less than 100

'Mix Up' - Cabaret Voltaire
'Black Tambourine' - Black Tambourine
'Distant Plastic Trees' - The Magnetic Fields
'Quality Street' - World of Twist
'Love & Glitter, Hot Days and Music' - Helen Love
'Sounds of the Satellites' - Laika
'Modus Operandi' - Photek
'Holiday in Rhode Island' - The Softies
'Pigs + Battleships' - Quando Quango
'I Will Be' - Dum Dum Girls
'lemonjelly.ky' - Lemonjelly
'Empire and Love' - The Imagined Village
'The Plateau Phase' - Crispy Ambulance
'Demonstration Tapes' - Dolly Mixture
'Blonder Tongue Audio Baton' - Swirlies
'Sweet and Dandy' - Toots and the Maytals
'Key Lime Pie' - Camper Van Beethoven
'The Comforts of Madness' - Pale Saints
'Bra' - Lasse Lindh
'Lullaby for Liquid Pig' - Lisa Germano
'Sittin' Pretty' - The Pastels
'Sound of Confusion' - Spacemen 3
'Going to a go- go' - Smokey Robinson and the Miracles


Key Lime Pie should be an all time calssic but sadly overlooked by almost everyone. Good call
  • Quote
Johnnyo wrote:
Key Lime Pie should be an all time calssic but sadly overlooked by almost everyone. Good call



The cover of Pictures Of Matchstick Men is worth the album alone. The rest is fine as well. Agreed...good album!
_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
  • Quote
Romanelli wrote:
I read the criteria as albums on your chart that are on 15 or less charts on site. I'll start with this one. Notes are from my chart notes.

12.

Pneumonia by Whiskeytown

Underrated and often forgotten, the third and final Whiskeytown album was released almost two years after the band had broken up. It was released finally to help bolster sales for Ryan Adam's Gold album. There is true greatness here: "Jacksonville Skyline", "Don't Be Sad", and many more. Rumor has it that these are the best out of over 100 songs recorded for the album over a 3 year period. Whiskeytown was a great band. Pneumonia is a beautiful and forgotten classic.

This album is currently on 10 charts on BEA.


Doesn't get the credit or recognition of Strangers Almanac because of the delayed release (I'd suggest) but an album of real beauty.
  • Quote

City Of Glass by Stan Kenton

In this Third Stream masterpiece, Stan Kenton's jazz orchestra performs the work of composer Bob Graettinger. What's incredible is the way he uses dissonance to communicate the human condition. The order we create gives us an illusion of control, but chaos underlies it all.

It's especially effective when played after "Manhattan Tower," a popular but hokey sound collage from the mid-40s. The contrast between the two illustrates the artificial nature of the reality that the media created for postwar America.
  • Quote
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Had to add this one to the database when I made my top-100:



The Sad Thing Is, We Like It Here - Shaimus


This album is so fantastic, I absolutely love every track on it. It's pretty much just straight indie rock, nothing too incredibly complex about it, just fun. Here are some samples:


I like it - will have to explore.
  • Quote
yourself wrote:
Demdike Stare's Tryptych. Its probably my favourite release of the 2010's so far and on only 3 charts (2 of which are mine).

Its eerie electronic music that veers from dreamy ambient/drone pieces, to echoey beat based stuff, to tracks built around samples of middle eastern drums/vocals, to noisier dissonant sorts of soundscapes; all while remaining rather haunted and creepy sounding. Tryptych is a compilation of 3 mini albums they released + bonus tracks, and there is hardly a week song among all three.


Sounds quite complex - will check it out.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123, 4 ... 101112  Next
Page 3 of 12


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
How Your Favorite Bands/Albums Became... Guest Music
What are your ten most favorite albums? JOSweetHeart Lounge
[ Poll ] How long will you keep your favorite ... Guest Music
Your Favorite Producer-Led Hip Hop Al... thirstyDog Music
[ Poll ] So out of Green Day's new albums; whi... PrinceMush Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.