Genre Extravaganza: STONER ROCK

Goto page Previous  123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Yeah this is really good, informative and yet unpedantic stuff. It definitely made me
newly unearthed in this genre!

Very well done, gowi.
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
Gowienczyk wrote:
Itโ€™s hard for me as a person to say subjectively or objectively who the defining stoner rock band was of 00s in the underground which is either very good or very bad to say. I know a lot of folks like QOTSA, but they did little for me after their first two to three records.


That's a hell lot of good work, thanks for this and I'll give a try to some stuff on this

When it comes to QOTSA, I guess you could still label the self-titled as "stoner rock", but then they just used it as one of many inspirations, and actually less and less with every record. On "... Like Clockwork" you can only hear distant echoes of the genre in a couple of tracks (I Sat by the Ocean or Keep Your Eyes Peeled), and that's about it.

Seems like a fair deal from Mr Homme, once Kyuss is done, I'm movin' on.
_________________
Always shouts out something obscene
  • Quote
Grzywa wrote:
That's a hell lot of good work, thanks for this and I'll give a try to some stuff on this

When it comes to QOTSA, I guess you could still label the self-titled as "stoner rock", but then they just used it as one of many inspirations, and actually less and less with every record. On "... Like Clockwork" you can only hear distant echoes of the genre in a couple of tracks (I Sat by the Ocean or Keep Your Eyes Peeled), and that's about it.

Seems like a fair deal from Mr Homme, once Kyuss is done, I'm movin' on.


I think that's one of my problems with QOTSA, the distance from their roots. I mean I have other issues that make me not a fan lately (their last like three records have been boring and samey), but the abandonment of stoner rock is one of them. Though you can still hear it blatantly in their first three records, it just gets lost in a sea of alternative rock ideas and such.
  • Quote
For those interested, I'm thinking of arranging a plug.dj session sometime today. Let me know when it would be convenient for you.
  • Quote
Gowienczyk wrote:
For those interested, I'm thinking of arranging a plug.dj session sometime today. Let me know when it would be convenient for you.


I'm interested even if I don't know what it is! ๐Ÿ˜
  • Quote
Added a de-facto Stoner Doom/Sludge crossover section.

Plug's working btw so I can do a Stoner Rock focus whenever you guys want to, just let me know.
  • Quote
some considerations: The Big Black by Orange Goblin is a so damn good album, I definitely dig it.

I don't know why but I couldn't connect so much with Stoner Witch by Melvins but I'm gonna to listen to it again.
King Of The Road by Fu Manchu and Colour Haze by Colour Haze are amazing albums. I know that I'm crazy but the last one (Colour Haze) reminds me of Stundum by Papir....

Mustasch...I believe you when u say that it is stoner...but sounds different.

Queens Of The Stone Age are my fav!

ps: I really dig Sunrise On The Sufferbus by Masters Of Reality too!


Last edited by pa on 09/03/2014 10:20; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
and Confession Time V:

I don't understand why Goatsnake are considered to be Doom Metal!
  • Quote
pa wrote:
and Confession Time V:

I don't understand why Goatsnake are considered to be Doom Metal!


Goatsnake are considered doom metal because they are a brand of doom metal, thereโ€™s no question about that. They take the same tonality and trudging riffs that bands like Trouble and Candlemass did but they simply add a stoner rock flavor (which is what many stoner doom bands did). Itโ€™s pretty blatant in their influences and their soundscapes. Listen to the Iommi-style riffwork in โ€œFlower of Diseaseโ€ and compare it to the riffwork in โ€œMirror Mirrorโ€ or โ€œThe Tempterโ€. Doom Metal is all about trudging through a slow journey that encompasses Iommi-style riffs that make you feel like you are walking through an album than racing through it.
  • Quote
Waited a bit too much but here I am ๐Ÿ˜œ


Gowi, you made a great work! I think you are particularly good in doing historical explanations. This one is perfect. ๐Ÿ˜„

Regarding those influencial albums, I can't agree more. And I really love that Blue Cheer's album, differently from many people here. I could add some other influencial bands, anyway you captured the most important ones and that's enough, the only one I'd like to mention (regarding expecially some kind of guitar style) is The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Or maybe that's only because I love with all my heart Colour Haze. ๐Ÿ˜œ

Agree about Kyuss being the prophets. Also, Kyuss are one of my favourite stoner bands, I like many albums by them, and this doesn't happen, f.e., with QOTSA.
"And the Circus Leaves Town" is a wonderful album, my second favourite by them after WTSV.

Melvins are a band I really love. And.. "Stoner Witch" is my favourite, too! Good choice.
"Houdini" is wonderful, too, and often regarded as their classic, so check it out, @Pa.
Or maybe you could prefer "Bullhead" or "Ozma": they were quite a different animal then.
One reason why I personally prefer "Stoner Witch" is because it's very various: between heavy distorted explosions and calm but full of tension moments, noisy sounds and catchy riffs.

Colour Haze are my favourite heavy psych / stoner rock band at the moment.
So you posted the self-titled.. well, it's good, but they released better ones imo. I feel like in that album their style was not well established yet, don't know. I think their best is "Los Sounds De Krauts", followed by "Tempel". Now you can get what I like from them, I guess.
Anyway, I think they have been quite important for the genre, because they featured in their style jazzy influences, and I can hear their spirit in many bands who are out now: Samsara Blues Experiment, Sungrazer, The Machine, Electric Moon...
What do you think about?

The instrumental part of the song you posted is awesome. The vocal line sounds a bit 'gross' to me, though. Do they have instrumental songs?

I share with Pa my love for Goatsnake, I'm exploring their discography and "Flower of Disease" is a wonderful album. I can hear Melvins' influences in the drum work.
"Doom Metal is all about trudging through a slow journey that encompasses Iommi-style riffs that make you feel like you are walking through an album than racing through it."
This is beautifully expressed.



Well, anyway you are right when you say the term "stoner" is a bit controversial.
I have my own idea of stoner: it includes heavy psych (even psych rock, when it keeps those Black Sabbath and Blue Cheer influences), stoner doom and modern hard rock / blues rock. A pretty opened idea, indeed.
Also, I generally prefer instrumental jams and hypnotic things.
You'll prob complain about these not being really stoner, anyway I'd like to recommend some bands. There are a lot, but I'll put down here only those ones who are among my favourites, and who get (more or less) overlooked.

- Naam: From the streets of NY. Their style is pretty heavy and very evocative, at times scary. I adore his voice, but the instrumental parts of the songs are brilliant too. I'd recommend in particular the self-titled. Also the mini album "The Ballad of the Starchild" is wonderful, and a bit more accessible, so start with that if you're not familiar with the genre.

- Dead Meadow: They managed to introduce a shoegaze vibe into Black Sabbath influenced psych rock. They are wonderful, I love very much the vibe that comes from their albums. I think "Shivering King and Others" is their best, and prob their most heavy. Their other works are all very good, too.

- Samsara Blues Experiment: Their style is mostly instrumental and quite heavy. Deep riffs but also long psych trips. Colour Haze's influence is clear. I'd recommend expecially "Long Distance Trip".

- Sungrazer: They have been, together with Colour Haze, my introduction to stoner rock. Their self-titled is absolutely beautiful, and I have a special relationship with it. To describe its style in few words, it's a mix between Kyuss and Colour Haze. This would sound already awesome, but that's not all, you can find many things in that album. It's really a trip through the desert, a long and melancholic walk. The next one "Mirador" is very good, too, and features more atmospheric sounds, though it loses some force, imo.

- Electric Moon: I'd like to thanks @Pa for recommending me them. I only heard "Flaming Lake" but I can say it's one of the best heavy psych albums I've heard. So yeah, check them out.


The Ballad Of The Starchild by Naam


Sungrazer by Sungrazer


Long Distance Trip by Samsara Blues Experiment


Shivering King And Others by Dead Meadow


Flaming Lake by Electric Moon


Last edited by Mies on 08/12/2015 11:23; edited 1 time in total

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123  Next
Page 2 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Stoner Rock (or space rock) - Favorites rockbluesfolkjaz Music Diaries
[ Poll ] Genre Extravaganza Poll: Which Genre ... Happymeal Music
[ Poll ] Genre Extravaganza: Poll on Genre Bre... Guest Music
Genre Extravaganza: post rock Guest Music
What do you think of Stoner Rock? StefanR10 Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.