Please post your top 3 of 2014

Goto page Previous  12345678910  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
This could easily change within a month but as it stands now:

1.

To Be Kind by Swans

2.

You're Dead! by Flying Lotus

3.

It's Album Time by Todd Terje

Didn't expect this since I couldn't stand The Seer. All 3 are interchangeable though in terms of ranking.
  • Quote
Ok so I jumped the gun. This one album sorta grew on me a lot (and it started high to begin with) and it's knocked Arca out of my number 3 spot.

3.

Restless Shapes by Gajek

Here's what I wrote about it on the chart:
"This is an exciting debut. I could tell it was something special when I came across it and excitedly told every single person I could about it, but I still only viewed it as sort of "second-tier great". But no. This is amazing. It has a sort of Steve Reich minimalism touch to the melody and structure, but it's all electronic, with this huge emphasis on percussion and synth timbre. It's 22 tracks divided into 3 suites. Each part flows seamlessly into the next, but each track change triggers a pretty dramatically different set of parameters, while a theme still persists to tie em all together. It's just some absolutely wonderful stuff and I'm very excited to see what they do next."
  • Quote

Want by Wreck And Reference


La Barca by Thomas Kรถner


Mirrors Fold by Gum Takes Tooth

fuck only giving 3


Verstorung by We Will Fail


Concretรฉ Misery by Sevendeaths
  • Quote
I love going through this thread and finding recs. Definitelygonna try that Nikki Nack album in a bit.
  • Quote
My top 3 with 2 strong contenders:

1- Are We There by Sharon Van Etten
2- Manipulator by Ty Segall
3- They Want My Soul by Spoon


This ones could be in:

Lost In The Dream by The War On Drugs

Warpaint by Warpaint
[/img][/list]
  • Quote
Lives up to the hype

Swans - To Be Kind
Sun Kil Moon - Benji
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piรฑata
Timber Timbre - Hot Dreams
Iceage - Plowing Into The Field Of Love
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2




Great albums but in the scope of 10's will be forgotten

The War on Drugs - Lost In The Dream
Aphex Twin - Syro
Grouper - Ruins
Have a Nice Life - The Unnatural World
Mac DeMarco - Salad Days
St, Vincent - St. Vincent
Sharon Van Etten - Are We There
BADBADNOTGOOD - III
Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright In The End
Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again
Ty Segall - Manipulator



Mediocre/bad

Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire For No Witness
Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else
The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace Is There
The Smashing Pumpkins - Monuments To An Elegy
Thom Yorke - Tomorrow's Modern Boxes
Morrissey - World Peace Is None Of Your Business

That's all I've heard of 2014 so far,I think I'll check out a few more albums than I'm done with 2014 albums for the time being.
  • Quote
newbands1 wrote:
Lives up to the hype

Swans - To Be Kind
Sun Kil Moon - Benji
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piรฑata

Timber Timbre - Hot Dreams
Iceage - Plowing Into The Field Of Love
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2




Great albums but in the scope of 10's will be forgotten

The War on Drugs - Lost In The Dream
Aphex Twin - Syro
Grouper - Ruins
Have a Nice Life - The Unnatural World
Mac DeMarco - Salad Days
St, Vincent - St. Vincent
Sharon Van Etten - Are We There
BADBADNOTGOOD - III
Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright In The End
Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again
Ty Segall - Manipulator



Mediocre/bad

Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire For No Witness
Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else
The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace Is There
The Smashing Pumpkins - Monuments To An Elegy
Thom Yorke - Tomorrow's Modern Boxes
Morrissey - World Peace Is None Of Your Business

That's all I've heard of 2014 so far,I think I'll check out a few more albums than I'm done with 2014 albums for the time being.


I like how you've grouped this. Great idea. Can't really argue with your top 6 aka Lives Up to Hype. I still need to give Timber Timbre more spins, but I totally agree with the other five. Easily some of the best stuff from the year, and I can see them being in "Best of the Decade" lists in ten years.

I think that Angel Olsen album is quite good and should be moved into your second grouping of "Great, but not a classic." Otherwise, I think you've nailed it from what I've heard.
  • Quote
Busdriver just weaseled his way into my top 3


Also c'mon Angel kicks ass. Sure the new album's not as good as her previous efforts but still a gem of expert songcraft and lyricism (such as I'm come to expect from her)

but I'm also a fanboy so eh

Anyway yeah this is really great

Perfect Hair by Busdriver
Like really really great
  • Quote
newbands1 wrote:
Lives up to the hype

Swans - To Be Kind
Sun Kil Moon - Benji
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piรฑata
Timber Timbre - Hot Dreams
Iceage - Plowing Into The Field Of Love
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2




Great albums but in the scope of 10's will be forgotten

The War on Drugs - Lost In The Dream
Aphex Twin - Syro
Grouper - Ruins
Have a Nice Life - The Unnatural World
Mac DeMarco - Salad Days
St, Vincent - St. Vincent
Sharon Van Etten - Are We There
BADBADNOTGOOD - III
Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright In The End
Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again
Ty Segall - Manipulator



Mediocre/bad

Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire For No Witness
Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else
The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace Is There
The Smashing Pumpkins - Monuments To An Elegy
Thom Yorke - Tomorrow's Modern Boxes
Morrissey - World Peace Is None Of Your Business

That's all I've heard of 2014 so far,I think I'll check out a few more albums than I'm done with 2014 albums for the time being.


Pretty much agree, with the exception of The Hotelier, only because I quite liked it. Other than that, you're spot on.
_________________
Inversion Verses
https://thesplitinfinitives1.bandcamp.com/album/inversion-verses
  • Quote
RepoMan wrote:
I like how you've grouped this. Great idea. Can't really argue with your top 6 aka Lives Up to Hype. I still need to give Timber Timbre more spins, but I totally agree with the other five. Easily some of the best stuff from the year, and I can see them being in "Best of the Decade" lists in ten years.

I think that Angel Olsen album is quite good and should be moved into your second grouping of "Great, but not a classic." Otherwise, I think you've nailed it from what I've heard.



I haven't really heard that many new albums because I feel that there's already too many older classic albums that I have yet to hear so I primarily focus on those but once in a while I give a 2014 album a spin and this is just my primary summary of what I've heard so far.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12345678910  Next
Page 6 of 10


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Announcement: Please read before posting albummaster Suggestions
[ Poll ] Kinks vs. Please Please Me Facetious Music
[ Poll ] BDAT Rd. 1 - Maxinquaye vs. Please Pl... Guest Tournaments
Today is the 50th anniversary of &quo... Mercury Music
Why your top alb. of all time is your... Guest Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.