A discovery and re-evaluation of the 1960s

Goto page Previous  123, 456 ... 121314  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Also I love Frank Zappa and his thoughts... I also really respect his musicianship... but I had to ask myself when rating his work: Do I love his music or do I love his ideas and I realized I actually don't like his music.

Just because you have innovative ideas for music doesn't mean it's good music I guess is the thoughts I came to.

Also just because you have great thoughts, doesn't mean it's good music. That means you are a good poet/artist... not musician.

Make sense?

It did make me question what is aesthetically good/bad, which I appreciated for that exercise.

In the end, much like Dylan, I had to side with the music emotional grasp and not the intellectual side of his aesthetics.
  • Quote
I also found that I like the Velvet Undergound's self titled album much more than the one featuring Nico, which I listened to 4 years ago, but I think I kept the prejudice of what I "should" respect higher than what I really like.

As I get older I tend to not give a shit. If I like something, I like it. If it connects with my soul, that's all that matters... not what should be rated higher, but what connects with me personally better.
  • Quote
Satie wrote:
If you dislike free jazz, you won't likely find much in my favorite '60s jazz records to enjoy. Or maybe they'll have the effect of breaking your terrible bias against the best kinds of jazz records, who knows. At any rate, tailored to your tastes, I'd say these songs are representative of the albums they come from. I apologize for the Sanders being the length of a short album, but you can probably figure out pretty immediately if it's your cuppa.


Link



Link



Link


As far as experimental stuff, you're really better served to hear the stuff in context and just kinda dive in. Is there any particular type of experimental music you have an affinity for that we could build from?


Much appreciated. checking it now.
  • Quote
Oh and as "experimental music" goes... I was intrigued by Atlantis at first, but then got bored quickly with it. Same goes with Brian Eno (I know he's later on). I appreciated Kontakte from Stockhausen, but I wouldn't say I fell in love with it.

I did like Moondog and Silver Apples though. Like genuinely liked all of it, not just oh that's unique hipster stuff to say you know.

Albums I particularly liked from them were:

Silver Apples by Silver Apples

I know it's 50s, but I think for me to delve into this new thing, I would need to get a "best of" kind of experience and therefore need to not limit to a time period.

More Moondog by Moondog


Last edited by RoundTheBend on 03/02/2016 05:07; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
Satie wrote:
I downloaded In a Silent Way once upon a time and have been meaning to check it out, but the Davis records I've heard have been caustically boring at worst or middling at best, so I haven't really prioritized it.

Thoughts on On The Corner?

Anyway, on the subject of 60s electronic stuff that is better than Silver Apples, I quite enjoy these

An Electric Storm by White Noise

A Rainbow In Curved Air by Terry Riley

Song Of The Second Moon: The Sonic Vibr...Kid Baltan
(though I think the stuff on this one was technically made in the 50s mainly)
  • Quote
Thanks guys!
  • Quote
dividesbyzero wrote:
Thoughts on On The Corner?


I started with Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew when I was first trying jazz and almost never listened to the genre again because I disliked them so much and have never managed to like them on subsequent tries. I thought Ascenseur was decent if not too great. I've never dug any farther than that even though I know I'm supposed to.
  • Quote
Satie wrote:
I started with Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew when I was first trying jazz and almost never listened to the genre again because I disliked them so much and have never managed to like them on subsequent tries. I thought Ascenseur was decent if not too great. I've never dug any farther than that even though I know I'm supposed to.

Nah I wouldn't blame you for avoiding his discography especially if it hasn't been kind to you thus far. For what it's worth I tend to find him largely overrated (outside of a few releases) but OTC is a legitimate masterpiece in every sense of the word and not much like anything else he's released

also @sethmadsen I don't think Satie (or really anyone here) is appreciating music based solely on its intellectual or conceptual worth. I think that we just really do enjoy and are moved by free jazz
  • Quote
dividesbyzero wrote:
also @sethmadsen I don't think Satie (or really anyone here) is appreciating music based solely on its intellectual or conceptual worth. I think that we just really do enjoy and are moved by free jazz


yes, believe it or not, i rate the music i personally connect with the highest. but as always we have to get the spiel about how i'm young so i care about image and that's the only possible reason i could enjoy any of the stupid hipster shit i like. one day when i'm older i'll be able to fall wistfully in love with the lifeless and tepid TVU s/t. i'll also have to start taking Viagra. maybe a correlation exists.
  • Quote
Satie wrote:
but as always we have to get the spiel about how i'm young so i care about image and that's the only possible reason i could enjoy any of the stupid hipster shit i like. one day when i'm older i'll be able to fall wistfully in love with the lifeless and tepid TVU s/t. i'll also have to start taking Viagra. maybe a correlation exists.

I don't think he was implying that really that. Just with this bit
Quote:
I had to side with the music emotional grasp and not the intellectual side of his aesthetics.

it seemed like he was assuming that we were taking "intellectual side of aesthetics" into consideration when determining what we think of the quality of the music, when really I think we're all working with the same magnetism towards "emotional grasp" without really letting the conceptuals affect that

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123, 456 ... 121314  Next
Page 5 of 14


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Music Evaluation and Redistribution C... Kiki Music
Criteria for Music Evaluation DelBocaVista Music Diaries
[ Poll ] Evaluation of user: gussteivi gussteivi Lounge
[ Poll ] Dare vs Discovery purple Tournaments
Best album discovery of the week Guest Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.