What album got you into a new genre?

Goto page Previous  123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

Machine Gun Etiquette by The Damned
  • Quote
This is as much a plug for a record as it is me sticking to the OP, and the fact I've broken my self-imposed exile from the forums should be viewed as evidence that not only is this record absolutely stellar, but also should be the first place to head for anyone who wants to get into 'reggae':


100% Dynamite! by Various Artists

What makes this compy so special is the variety of styles of 60s and 70s Jamaican music on offer - everything from some sweet rocksteady (Phyllis Dillon's cover of Marlena Shaw's "Woman Of The Ghetto"), to killer instrumentals (Tommy McCook's "Green Mango", Cedric 'im Brooks' "Give Rasta Glory"), to early dancehall (the incomparable Johnny Osbourne's "We Need Love", a cut taken from the magnificent Truth & Rights LP) and my own personal highlight, the deep roots reworking of Lloyd Robinson's "Cuss Cuss", presented here inna showcase style with the dub following the vocal cut. Sure, the collection's heavy on Studio One riddims, but bearing in mind Coxsone Dodd's label was the undoubted breeding ground for so much Jamaican talent it's a fair trade-off. Prior to this the only 'reggae' compilation I owned was an album called Skamania which I bought from Woolworths back in the 90s and had a mix of obvious Two Tone (Specials, Selecter) and Trojan classics on it. This took my appreciation of Jamaican music to a whole new level, as best illustrated by the reggae chart you can have a flick-through below. Recommended to everyone without hesitation.
_________________
'Reggae' & t'ing
Folk 'n Stuff
SHAMELESS RECORD DEALER PLUG
  • Quote
Origin of Symmetry got me into rock.
To Pimp a Butterfly got me into rap.
Kind of Blue got me into jazz.
Merriweather Post Pavilion got me into electronica.
TNT got me into post-rock.
_________________
These are my favorite albums right now.
  • Quote
Jimmy Dread wrote:
This is as much a plug for a record as it is me sticking to the OP, and the fact I've broken my self-imposed exile from the forums should be viewed as evidence that not only is this record absolutely stellar, but also should be the first place to head for anyone who wants to get into 'reggae':


100% Dynamite! by Various Artists

This took my appreciation of Jamaican music to a whole new level, as best illustrated by the reggae chart you can have a flick-through below. Recommended to everyone without hesitation.


I'd say this is as good a place as any for a good plug. Cheers, I'll definitely have a listen to that, my knowledge of reggae doesn't extend much farther than Bob Marley (and his Irish offspring, The Barley Mob.)
  • Quote
Anti wrote:
Black metal:


Bergtatt โ€“ Et eeventyr i 5 capitler by Ulver

I could also argue that Sunbather was my true genre-breaker, but I know there's that whole, "It's not true black metal," argument that I've had some people try to use on me and frankly I don't care enough or know enough about black metal to argue back, but they are both fantastic pieces of art, regardless. Also Sunbather lead me to more melancholic, relationship stress themed music, not necessarily black metal, so I'll toss Ulver on the table instead.



I really liked the first track on this, it's the only metal I've ever heard that I would describe as soothing. I must admit I'm not quite as keen on the guttural screaming (unfortunately this tends to be a major road block for me where metal is concerned.) I'll definitely check out some more of their stuff though.
  • Quote
This is the first hip-hop album that helped me realize... hey, that genre is more than just pop music and actually a great album can be made (mind you this was 15 years ago):


The Carnival by Wyclef Jean
  • Quote
kickerofelves wrote:
I'd say this is as good a place as any for a good plug. Cheers, I'll definitely have a listen to that, my knowledge of reggae doesn't extend much farther than Bob Marley (and his Irish offspring, The Barley Mob.)


Are you not aware of the famous Irish MC Pat O'Banton?
_________________
'Reggae' & t'ing
Folk 'n Stuff
SHAMELESS RECORD DEALER PLUG
  • Quote
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Are you not aware of the famous Irish MC Pat O'Banton?


A quick visit to wikipedia tells me you are referencing the "reggae singer and toaster from Birmingham".
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
This him?
  • Quote
kickerofelves wrote:
Anti wrote:
Black metal:


Bergtatt โ€“ Et eeventyr i 5 capitler by Ulver

I could also argue that Sunbather was my true genre-breaker, but I know there's that whole, "It's not true black metal," argument that I've had some people try to use on me and frankly I don't care enough or know enough about black metal to argue back, but they are both fantastic pieces of art, regardless. Also Sunbather lead me to more melancholic, relationship stress themed music, not necessarily black metal, so I'll toss Ulver on the table instead.



I really liked the first track on this, it's the only metal I've ever heard that I would describe as soothing. I must admit I'm not quite as keen on the guttural screaming (unfortunately this tends to be a major road block for me where metal is concerned.) I'll definitely check out some more of their stuff though.


That's an obstacle for a lot of people, which is totally understandable. Ulver's later material is more ambient/folky and their other black metal material is kinda bland, imo. If you wanna dive into more black metal, I'd give Sunbather by Deafheaven a go.
_________________
...and for dessert!
  • Quote
Anti wrote:
kickerofelves wrote:
Anti wrote:
Black metal:


Bergtatt โ€“ Et eeventyr i 5 capitler by Ulver

I could also argue that Sunbather was my true genre-breaker, but I know there's that whole, "It's not true black metal," argument that I've had some people try to use on me and frankly I don't care enough or know enough about black metal to argue back, but they are both fantastic pieces of art, regardless. Also Sunbather lead me to more melancholic, relationship stress themed music, not necessarily black metal, so I'll toss Ulver on the table instead.



I really liked the first track on this, it's the only metal I've ever heard that I would describe as soothing. I must admit I'm not quite as keen on the guttural screaming (unfortunately this tends to be a major road block for me where metal is concerned.) I'll definitely check out some more of their stuff though.


That's an obstacle for a lot of people, which is totally understandable. Ulver's later material is more ambient/folky and their other black metal material is kinda bland, imo. If you wanna dive into more black metal, I'd give Sunbather by Deafheaven a go.


What! Nattens Madrigal by Ulver is as far from bland as it gets. Way better than Bergtatt, too, imo. A lot harsher though.

My personal intro to black metal was:

TheStarsAreDeadNow by Coldworld

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123  Next
Page 2 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
The music that got me into each genre Fischman Music Diaries
What was the first album you really g... littlejacob420 Music
Albums That Got You Into Different Ge... Guest Music
Have you recently got any new favorit... Guest Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.