4. Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen - Missing the War
5. Jellyfish - Spilt Milk - New Mistake
6. The 1922s - The Very Lotust - My Ears and My Big Toes (from when the band was still called Evil Harrisons)
7. Elvis Costello - This Years Model - New Lace Sleeves
8. Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand - Best of Jill Hives
9. Yes - Close To The Edge - Heart of the Sunrise
10. Talk Talk - Laughing Stock - The Rainbow
This list contains some quite amazing stuff, "New Mistake", "The Disappointed", "Missing The War" (which I probably should have replaced with "One Angry Dwarf.." though ๐ )
1. Kate Bush - The Dreaming - Sat in Your Lap
2. Steely Dan - Aja - Black Cow
3. Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run - Thunder Road
4. Talking Heads - Remain in Light - Once in a Lifetime
5. Billy Joel - Turnstiles - New York State of Mind
6. Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party - Dead Man's Party
7. Rachel Stevens - Come and Get It - I Said Never Again (But Here We Are)
8. Heart - Little Queen - Allies (Not from Little Queen; in fact, Passionworks is nowhere near their best album, but my God am I smitten over this song)
9. Prince - Purple Rain - The Beautiful Ones
10. Pat Benatar - In the Heat of the Night - My Clone Sleeps Alone
Toto would be on my list with Toto (1978) and "99" if not for the fact that, like B.o.B., they expressed their credibility-shattering belief in the world being flat. I'm thus constantly forced to separate the band itself from their beautiful music.
1. From Indian Lakes - Able Bodies - American Dreams (Demo)*
2. Genesis - Duke - Entangled*
3. Anberlin - Cities - (*Fin)
4. Copeland - You Are My Sunshine - Choose The One Who Loves You More*
5. Radiohead - In Rainbows - Fake Plastic Trees*
6. City and Colour - Sometimes - Like Knives
7. Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape - Everlong
8. Night Beds - Country Sleep - 22
9. Jeff Buckley - Grace - Lover, You Should've Come Over
10. Dance Gavin Dance - Downtown Battle Mountain - Open Your Eyes And Look North
1-4 are pretty much interchangeable. And if you asked me again in August, I'd likely pick a different #10. There are some artists I truly love but left out.
babyBlueSedanUsed to be sort of blind, now can sort of seeProfile
I listened to Funeral recently for the first time in a while and had completely forgotten how great this song is, good call. So simple musically but it's beautiful and the lyrics are such a great metaphor. It has a subtlety to it that their last couple albums have lacked. _________________ And it's hard to be a human being. And it's harder as anything else.
4. Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen - Missing the War
5. Jellyfish - Spilt Milk - New Mistake
6. The 1922s - The Very Lotust - My Ears and My Big Toes (from when the band was still called Evil Harrisons)
7. Elvis Costello - This Years Model - New Lace Sleeves
8. Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand - Best of Jill Hives
9. Yes - Close To The Edge - Heart of the Sunrise
10. Talk Talk - Laughing Stock - The Rainbow
This list contains some quite amazing stuff, "New Mistake", "The Disappointed", "Missing The War" (which I probably should have replaced with "One Angry Dwarf.." though ๐ )
Thumbs Up!
Thanks! It's actually a pretty Powerpop heavy top ten now I look at it.
Jellyfish are insanely underrated, if they'd stuck it out even a couple more years people would have gone mad for that 70s revival stuff. Doing what they were doing at the height of the grunge boom was ... unfortunate timing.
Oh my god thank you. Wikipedia claims this song has received "critical acclaim from critics and fans upon release" but it's so weak compared to everything else they've ever done.
MercuryTurn your back on the pay-you-back last callProfile St. Louis
I listened to "Creatiure Comfort" due to this thread. Now I am sad. That whole song... not good. But that line about the depressed girl listening to their first record makes me want to hurl. _________________ -Ryan
I listened to "Creatiure Comfort" due to this thread. Now I am sad. That whole song... not good. But that line about the depressed girl listening to their first record makes me want to hurl.
I really like the instrumentals (they sound New Order-y) but yeah the lyrics are definitely lacking. To be fair though, I haven't heard Everything Now yet (it's out here in Australia) but I was reading the lyrics to one track called "Chemistry" and it takes the absence of subtlety to new levels. _________________ Some RYM paraphernalia:
I really like the instrumentals (they sound New Order-y) but yeah the lyrics are definitely lacking. To be fair though, I haven't heard Everything Now yet (it's out here in Australia) but I was reading the lyrics to one track called "Chemistry" and it takes the absence of subtlety to new levels.
Yes it's quite decent musically but still nothing spectacular and definitely lacking depth _________________ All time
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum