New Cover Versions Of Beatles Albums: A Hard Day's Night

Goto page Previous  12345678  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Listmeister wrote:
I was just about to bring up that remnants of Electric Light Orchestra version. I was also going to bring up the Mamas & Papas version, a laid-back late 60's mood piece.

But I really can't argue with the Salt 'n' Pepa selection. Good call. I'm glad you pushed it.

Instead, I will leave you with this quote from the Constitution:

"Article XVI: The Isley Brothers version of "Twist and Shout" is better than the Beatles version. There shall be no argument about this. It says so right here in the Constitution."
(Source: Dave Barry Hits Below the Beltway)


Link


The Mamas & The Papas did a fine job, but I'm saving them...

And no argument about the superiority of the Isley's version...but it's not eligible here, because it came before the Beatles' version. But thanks for adding it here...it does deserve to be heard!
_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
  • Quote
Album: With The Beatles
Track 1: It Won't Be Long


The first track on With The Beatles was a Lennon composition that they never played live. It was covered a handful of times, but never quite like the forgotten 70's power pop band, The Quick. The Quick were part of the mid 70's Hollywood club revival, and they were a pretty influential group. They recorded only one album, Mondo Deco from 1976 (not on BEA). The lead singer (Danny Wilde) went on to become half of The Rembrandts, while producer David Campbell's son is Beck Hansen.


Link

_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
  • Quote

Link


It's one of the Beatles dullest tracks (sorry) but Susanna Hoffs make the song beautiful.
  • Quote
Listmeister wrote:

Link


It's one of the Beatles dullest tracks (sorry) but Susanna Hoffs make the song beautiful.


Album: With The Beatles
Track 2: All I've Got To Do


I am going to disagree with Listmeister about his assessment of "All I've Got To Do". I actually find this to be one of their more interesting early tracks. It is, for me, the first real hint of what would be their more experimental period. It's a pure Lennon song, inspired by the early 60's American R&B that was so obvious in their early material...but this is a darker tune that normal for them at this early stage. For me, it's beautiful, and one of the high points of this second album.

I am, however going to agree with Listmeister about his choice of Susanna Hoffs for this song here. Hoffs (and The Bangles) are very Beatles influenced, and Hoffs channels John very well. I like this version a lot...she sings it very true to the original version. And it's nice to hear it from a female voice.


Link

_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
  • Quote
I think "All I"ve Got To Do" along with "It Won't Be Long", "This Boy" etc. are some the best of the Beatles' early work.
Had they chosen to go that way, they could have been the best White Doo Wop Group ever (Ok Maybe Frank Zappa)

Agree with the assesment of "Twist and Shout". One of my least favorite Beatle covers. The problem for me however is in the song. Do not think it is a very good one. Beatles, Isleys or anyone else that may have covered it.
  • Quote
I'm wondering if we will discover that the McCartney tunes have more covers than the Lennon tunes. I've found four or five interesting versions of All My Loving, Paul's first track on the album. My favorite cover:


Link


But I've written my guess for which cover Romanelli is going to pick (not necessarily this one), and put it in an envelope. I will reveal my guess after it's official.
  • Quote
Album: With The Beatles
Track 3: All My Loving


"All My Loving" is pure Paul McCartney. You can tell he wrote the song without Lennon from the first line. And it's a great song. It became a hit because it was released as a single in Canada...not in the UK, and not in the States. It trickled down to the US and took off. Lennon plays a sweet rhythm guitar on it, and George plays a nice country lead. It is, on the surface, a nice little rock and roll hit single.

Listmeister picked a great version by Chet Atkins and Suzy Bogguss. But I'm not going with that one...because of the pure energy of the song. And I think that energy has been best captured by the punk supergroup Me First & The Gimme Gimmes. Because even punk takes a page from The Beatles. The EARLY Beatles. That, I find, is awesome. So, here's the punk take on "All My Loving". It works as a punk song, completely. Well played, Me First! You can find it here:


Blow In The Wind by Me First And The Gimme Gimmes


Link

_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
  • Quote
I was way off. Here's what was in the envelope:


Link


Amy Winehouse
All My Loving
  • Quote
Album: With The Beatles
Track 4: Don't Bother Me


George's first song. He never thought much of it, and on the surface, it doesn't sound like much. But, like the songwriting of Harrison, it's grown up over the years. Not a very often covered song, this one came from the daughter of Richard & LInda Thompson. Kamila (or Kami) Thompson tacked it onto the end of her 2011 album Love Lies:


Love Lies by Kami Thompson

I'll say it's much better than the Beatles version. Very nicely done!


Link

_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
  • Quote
That's a good one! I have no idea what you're going to do for "Little Child". The only option I could find was this one:


Link


Snow Pink, 1982

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12345678  Next
Page 4 of 8


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Release Day Eve Repo Music
Album of the day (#402): A Hard Day's... BestEverAlbums Music
The Beatles-The REAL First Chord of A... RFNAPLES Music
Cover Versions! Johnnyo Music
Cover versions that are better than t... Guest Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.